FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Stranger Things
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 0984affb2b9a1a41a58f9c6b798e5bb4.jpg]

I wanted to start a thread for those who are willing to share any spiritual experiences. They can be either of the demonic or divine variety. I personally have experienced things in the past year that I can't really explain through reason alone.

I've noticed that I have a certain sense for the demonic, I don't mean like New Age psychic nonsense but a gut feeling typically set off my adrenaline that consistently coincides with temptation. It's like a jolt which starts in my stomach and proceeds to pull me toward acting in a certain manner or toward a particular thing which is sinful. This is coupled with repeated mental prodding like images or thoughts that try to drive me toward a thing not of God. And it is almost always immediately subsides once I call upon Our Lady or the Holy Name. It's a feeling that used to be normal to me when I was an atheist, so that tells me it isn't of God when it occurs.

This has played a part in a few experiences that I have had since I became Catholic.

The first instance was triggered by music. Last summer, my wife, kids and I were on our porch listening to music. I suddenly got the urge to listen to a black metal act called Emperor, who I had consistently abstained from since my conversion. I said why not and gave in. Immediately a change came over me, I just felt empty and grew distant. My wife actually noticed a change in my demeanor and asked me what was wrong, I said nothing and once the song was over I could not shake this dark feeling. I immediately went to our room, knelt before the crucifix and prayed to St. Michael. While I was doing so I felt this surge like something was leaving me and as suddenly as this mood came upon me, it lifted. Since that point, whenever I have gotten a temptation to listen to the satanic music of my youth I resist the urge and say a prayer. That feeling is not something I wish to experience again.

Another experience I had was something that kept reoccurring over a period of a week. My second child was born last July, and he's been a rough baby since then. His demeanor coupled with work has lead to a lot of personal stress. During this week in October, I kept getting these intense rages coupled with really violent thoughts. Far beyond just normal anger but like something was pushing me to act out against those around me. My confessor suggested praying the Our Father slowly when it came on until it passed, which did help. During this time, my baby was not yet sleeping through the night and I typically don't get home from work until midnight. So one night in particular, I got home and headed to bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, the baby starts screaming. I lay there for a bit to see if they would calm down, and then suddenly felt this surge of rage come over me with violent thoughts. It began from my left arm, surged up through my neck and then throughout my body. My body became rigid and difficult to move and the angry impulse was incredibly strong. I got out of bed, went downstairs to fix a bottle and the rage kept building. So I began to pray, and this is the scary thing. Once I began to recite the St. Michael's prayer, I heard a voice outside of myself in my right ear which said in an exasperated tone "Come on..." I was terrified, kept praying, and went upstairs with the bottle. At that point the rage continued and I panicked. I paced up and down the hallway, went into our bedroom and contemplated waking my wife when suddenly the rage evaporated and I was calm. No rage, no evil thoughts, no bodily effects. Just calm. Honestly one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced. I went to confession the next day, received absolution, was given a blessed rosary and St. Michael's chaplet, and since then haven't had anything quite like that event.

The last one I find fairly mundane, but it marked a profound moment in attitude. Shortly after the "night with the demon" I recounted above, I was fighting a real addiction to Twitter. I had found "Weird Catholic Twitter" gained a mild following, and made some friends there. I would obsessively check it and post there to the point it was effecting my prayer life. Around the second week of October last fall, I was working on reading volume three of the Mystical City of God while contemplating taking another Twitter break. In those books, the end of each chapter has a reflection given to Ven. Mary of Agreda by Our Lady. The chapter I was on was talking about letting go of close personal friends to avoid attachment and sin. As I finished the chapter, this light filled my mind. It wasn't a visible thing, but it seemed like it, with a clear message telling me to "quit Twitter if I want to advance in the spiritual life." I was immediately overcome with joy, began crying, and my body was trembling. After contemplating what had happened, I quickly said a farewell to some friends and closed my Twitter account. Since then I have found several spiritually beneficial practices and made a routine of them and have indeed grown close to Christ, honestly to the point that I focus less on the saints (not to neglect them, but I was a little too obsessive with saints) and more on Jesus Christ.

So those are three instances in my relatively short Catholic spiritual life that have stuck with me. I do have some vivid dreams, but I try not to pay much attention to those given their demonic and dark themes.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has had similar experiences or even experienced things that are far more profound than my own.
Greetings Augustinian, Thanks for sharing... I'm wondering where you got that photo of the Blessed Mother. ETA: I'm thinking it's just bizarre what with the neon et al. What are all the plaques on the walls
Okay, I'll share a thing or two that sticks out in my memory... From childhood.

I remember my mother leaving me in the pew to go up for Communion and thinking she was leaving me to go to Heaven. I stayed in the pew, quietly sobbing. 

Our first grade teacher took us over to look at the front hall steps of the school. These were steps the children never used. We always came in through the back. There in the entryway was the most beautiful statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I remember thinking, "Oh, she's sooo beautiful." I often think of that for some reason.
(03-22-2019, 05:49 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings Augustinian, Thanks for sharing... I'm wondering where you got that photo of the Blessed Mother. ETA: I'm thinking it's just bizarre what with the neon et al. What are all the plaques on the walls
I just pulled it off of Google. I wanted something kind of odd to go with the thread
Here's one similar to the one from my parochial school

[Image: Vintage-Plaster-Statue-Of-Our-Lady-Of-Gr...ermark.jpg]
*swoon* How I love Our Blessed Mother
I've been around here for decades, so everyone's already heard my stories, but I'll re-tell a few...

I had an incident eons ago, when I was 16-ish. I was lying on my parents' bed (theirs was really soft) during the day, on my belly. All of a sudden, I felt all the "energy" in my body gather into one spot, between my shoulder blades. Then it felt as if it were pulling away from me, out of my body, and I heard what sounded like what one'd hear in the steam room of a giant ship -- big, loud, mechanical sounds. I freaked out, went to my room, laid down on my bed, closed my eyes, and heard what sounded like a "choir of voices" whispering things I couldn't understand. Freaked me OUT.

I've had vicious nightmares -- full-on demonic ones, exceedingly creepy (for ex., I'm totally helpless as I'm being slid up the wall and to the ceiling of a convent by some evil force) -- and they quit on a dime when, even in my sleep, I called on the Name of Jesus.

An old friend of mine used to get visits from what he called "the Alligator Man" when he was a kid -- some reptilian-looking humanoid that'd stand next to his bed at night.

Someone else I know was thrown out of bed and across the room by a demonic force -- which he also saw taking the form of a blacker-than-black sort of "cloud."

The FishEaters pages on the Preternatural World might be of interest to you, A.
(03-22-2019, 07:35 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I've had vicious nightmares -- full-on demonic ones, exceedingly creepy (for ex., I'm totally helpless as I'm being slid up the wall and to the ceiling of a convent by some evil force) -- and they quit on a dime when, even in my sleep, I called on the Name of Jesus.

Those are some pretty chilling experiences.

I've come to automatically call upon the Holy Name in my dreams when they start getting nightmarish, I've had several experiences of what seemed like sleep paralysis that subsided as soon as I called upon Christ. One even ended with this warbling, distorted, inhuman growl once I did so. Most recently I had one where I sensed the presence of Alister Crowley's "Aiwass" demon standing near my bed after getting too curious about the occult one night. Thankfully, the demonic dreams are far and few between now, but they were rampant just after I entered the Church.
(03-22-2019, 07:52 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]Those are some pretty chilling experiences.

I've come to automatically call upon the Holy Name in my dreams when they start getting nightmarish, I've had several experiences of what seemed like sleep paralysis that subsided as soon as I called upon Christ. One even ended with this warbling, distorted, inhuman growl once I did so. Most recently I had one where I sensed the presence of Alister Crowley's "Aiwass" demon standing near my bed after getting too curious about the occult one night. Thankfully, the demonic dreams are far and few between now, but they were rampant just after I entered the Church.

The Holy Name and St. Michael are the definite big guns to use when up against something evil. In that section on the preternatural world linked to earlier, I write about how those who believe they're suffering from "alien abductions" find that they stop cold when the Name of Jesus is invoked.
(03-22-2019, 08:03 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-22-2019, 07:52 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]Those are some pretty chilling experiences.

The Holy Name and St. Michael are the definite big guns to use when up against something evil. In that section on the preternatural world linked to earlier, I write about how those who believe they're suffering from "alien abductions" find that they stop cold when the Name of Jesus is invoked.
I am firmly of the "crazy Christian" opinion that alien abductions are wholly demonic in nature. And that the whole ancient aliens/UFO phenomenon exists to subvert Christian belief and spirituality.
Pages: 1 2