FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to counter people who quote passages punishing homosexuality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To show that Christianity is a violent and hypocritical religion.

Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/comments/b4je5g/excuse_me_what_what_minorities_life_got_ruined/ej7us4q?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Quote:
Quote:As a friend of a gay man
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. (Romans 1:26-27)
The law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, men who practise homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine. (1 Timothy. 1:9-10)
Quote:As someone who believes in equality, I could never date someone that finds women lesser than men
Oh boy, there isn't enough room here to quote all the passages in the bible on this topic.
Leviticus 20:13 Wrote:If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

I would then point out it says the same about adultery -

Leviticus 20:10 Wrote:If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death.

Then we look to the New Testament in regards to the woman caught in adultery -

John 8:1-11 Woman Caught In Adultery Wrote:8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus looked up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.”

Matthew 5:17-20 The Law and the Prophets Wrote:17 “Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them. 18 For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

As for the other quotes I have no issue with.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You
And of course Muslims often execute gays while not getting media attention. Not to mention they conveniently forget these passages are from the Torah, since they also need Jews to support the Democrats.

The left has nothing topical on Christianity, and is so desperate that they invented the term Islamaphobia to win votes. 

What do they have, the Westboro Baptist Church as a topical example? Sheesh, even they don't execute gays, and they are despite their vile nature militantly opposed to racism.

And of course you have the Caveman Neanderthal Network (CNN) pushing the imaginary narrative.

Remember that they use Catholicism as needed. Anti-wall Pope? We love the RCC! Opposing infanticide? Evil trads!

And there's people dumb enough to follow along.
Yea that's the irony, they quote such a passage at us from Leviticus forgetting we have a New Testament, while they give Islam a free pass when they in fact don't have a New Testament and homosexuality is punishable by death, along with apostasy (leaving Islam) in their texts. Crazy.

(03-23-2019, 06:56 PM)redneckpride4ever Wrote: [ -> ]And there's people dumb enough to follow along.

Thankfully not enough yet, like Trump said, really is amazing that the people voted well when the deck was so stacked against them. All hinges on Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Sanctity of the Church. So we're not out of the woods yet, gotta keep praying.

God Bless You
The old Levitical laws are null and void and have been for 2,000 years now. They might be able to screw Protestants up with that sort of nonsense, but we Catholics don't go by the Bible alone -- nor do we read the Bible while relying on our own interpretations; we read it with the mind of the Church. We don't have just one pillar of Truth (Scripture), but three: Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium. We know how to interpet Scripture because the Church has done that for us, and the Church says something different than your atheist at Reddit is saying.

If someone's a being mean, snarky, and raging atheist, send them to this page (it answers questions like the one you asked): https://tinyurl.com/y6vad2w9  (mind you, that page is snarky as well, and contains a few F-bombs. It's written for that certain type of atheist -- you know the kind -- and not for mere agnostics of good will). Use that link freely, any time you like. I've found that it really shuts atheists up!
Homosexual acts are still an abomination even though they aren't required to be put to death.
(03-23-2019, 08:54 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: [ -> ]Homosexual acts are still an abomination even though they aren't required to be put to death.

Oops, just realized I used the wrong quote in my original post, used Leviticus 18:22 when I meant to use Leviticus 20:13 and link to the similar verse on Adultery, corrected it now :)

God Bless
(03-23-2019, 04:45 PM)GRA Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:
Quote:As a friend of a gay man
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
Leviticus is the law of the priests not the law of the regular folk like the Rule of Saint Benedict is for monks not regular folks, (so if'n you're late for verses regular folk don't have to sit in the corner and go without their wine like monks do). YMMV
(03-23-2019, 07:17 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]The old Levitical laws are null and void and have been for 2,000 years now.

Not all of them. They are not in force anymore as laws in themselves, but certainly they inform morality.

Certain ones are merely ceremonial. Those are definitely void. Others are arbitrary and relate to some historical threat to health, etc. or the danger of embracing pagan practices (e.g. tattoos, pork). Those are also gone. Others are based on Natural or Divine law, and while they did not express the penalties we must follow anymore, they certainly still express the moral truth that these things are evil.

That is all summed up in Acts 15: 28-29 :
Quote:For it hath seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us, to lay no further burden upon you than these necessary things: That you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which things keeping yourselves, you shall do well. Fare ye well.

Clearly the law obliges more than just these things, but sexual immorality forbidden in the OT in included in "fornication" here.

The point is taken, however, that these laws no longer express the totality of the Christian law, which keeps the spirit of these laws, but not the letter.
I wonder if the forbidding of mixing linen and wool  had more to do with priestly garments  then shepherd's?
Pages: 1 2