FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I finally got up the courage to go to Mass today.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I did it.

I went to the local N.O. here in my little farm town. It was more than I could have expected. I went straight to the Latin Mass after I converted, so I am not really familiar with the OF and was pretty lost at this Mass, but this little church brought me to tears. It was pretty simple inside, traditional statues and the high altar was still there with the tabernacle right where it was supposed to be. There was of course, the N.O. table in front, where Mass was said.

The priest is from Nigeria. What a homily! It was long, animated, and he had no problem talking about sin, Hell, and repentance. But he also balanced it with love of Christ and neighbor and the joy that that brings. He talked about a fundraiser he has going to redo the Sanctuary and alluded to using the high altar because Jesus deserves the very best. The parish has all night adoration, Holy Hour, and Fr. has invited everyone to attend the Chrism Mass to learn what goes on and to help pray for priests as they make their renewal of vows. 

Wow! There were several women who were wearing veils. No altar girls, and this blew my mind, when it was time to receive Holy Communion, two parishioners got up and placed kneelers at the front and EVERYONE received the Eucharist kneeling, on the tongue, only from the priest!!!!! There were two men who offered The Precious Blood, but WOW! I, of course, blubbered when I saw this.

No guitars, only two poor off-key young women trying to lead the songs from the choir loft. The recession song was Parce Domine, badly sang but kudos for doing it at all.

And, in the front of the church with the bulletins were cards about why women should veil. WOW!

I am so grateful that this is here. It gives me hope, especially being away from the Church for so long. I am going to make an appointment with the priest tomorrow to figure out what I need to do to come back. I miss confession and most especially, receiving Our Lord in Holy Communion.
Wow - that is flat out amazing. So polar opposite of what we have. You are lucky!

Give thanks. I have been to multiple parishes in our diocese and I don't think what you have is even allowed here. They seem to think the more tambourines an guitars the better.

And we seem to get the same homogenized homily regardless of what the readings are. :(
Sounds a lot like the NO parishes I started out in. I have nothing against the NO when done reverently so I'm glad that you have access to one as well.

That said, last Sunday I forgot that my usual NO parish wasn't having Mass at 8 so I went to some random one nearby...that was eye-opening. Had the modern set up with the pews circling the altar, the priest performed the consecration in such a manner that it felt like a school play and they had SIX EMHCs handing out communion and EVERYONE received in the hand. I didn't receive communion that day, admittedly. I WILL NOT receive in the hand. I've heard horror stories, but I never realized it was this bad. And this is the common form of the Mass, right?
(03-24-2019, 07:25 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]And this is the common form of the Mass, right?

Depends on where you are. What ritaguadalupe93 described is pretty standard in every Church in the Diocese of Lincoln.
I guess I was really lucky when I first converted. There was a tiny SSPX mission in Utah that I was going to, and then after a year or so, we moved to Seattle and we were lucky enough to live 5 minutes from the Society chapel in Edmonds. That was a wonderful community. I think I got spoiled. I would pray the Mass at home if no TLM was available.

After my breakdown and subsequent falling away from anything religious, I just avoided all church. Now I'm trying to find find my way back to God, But I live in Eastern Oregon. The nearest Latin Mass in any direction is at least 3+ hours away. So, maybe I'm supposed to be in the trenches, see the other side, those who struggle to maintain their faith in the chaos of post Vatican II, and have to fight for the faith.

This area is all farmland and ranching; very conservative. I wonder if that has something to do with it. It is the Diocese of Baker. 60,000 square miles. Most of the priests are foreign. I've heard that Bishop Liam Cary is very conservative. Do any of you know any more about him?
(03-24-2019, 09:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2019, 07:25 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]And this is the common form of the Mass, right?

Depends on where you are. What ritaguadalupe93 described is pretty standard in every Church in the Diocese of Lincoln.

It's hit or miss in the Diocese of Arlington. One parish is like ritaguadalupe93 described, the next parish sounds like "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." I'm fortunate that I live in one of the reverent parishes so I don't have to travel too far. :)
(03-24-2019, 07:25 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds a lot like the NO parishes I started out in. I have nothing against the NO when done reverently so I'm glad that you have access to one as well.

That said, last Sunday I forgot that my usual NO parish wasn't having Mass at 8 so I went to some random one nearby...that was eye-opening. Had the modern set up with the pews circling the altar, the priest performed the consecration in such a manner that it felt like a school play and they had SIX EMHCs handing out communion and EVERYONE received in the hand. I didn't receive communion that day, admittedly. I WILL NOT receive in the hand. I've heard horror stories, but I never realized it was this bad. And this is the common form of the Mass, right?

It's what I have seen everywhere I have been except on parish.  And that parish seems to have change to communion rail and priest only administering - at least the last time I was there, but before it was not that way.

But everywhere else I have been - yup - from guitars and such to jumbotron screens and full blown bands.
(03-25-2019, 06:41 AM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2019, 09:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's hit or miss in the Diocese of Arlington.  One parish is like ritaguadalupe93 described, the next parish sounds like "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."  I'm fortunate that I live in one of the reverent parishes so I don't have to travel too far. :)

Jeeter, you're right.  Large dioceses which are part of major metro areas really have a lot of variation among parishes.  My diocese stretches from conservative farmland area into wealthy liberal suburbia, so while the Mass looks the same on paper, the reverence and focus of each parish can vary widely.