FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Thought Experiment: Top 5 Most Important Catholic Moments Throughout History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm making some exceptions, and that is the establishment of the Sacraments, most of the things Jesus and Mary did and continue to do (including apparitions), and the establishment of the Bible/biblical canon. Those are a given. I mean the Councils, battles, the influences of saints, etc.

Here are mine, in no particular order:

1. The convening of the Council of Trent
2. The writings of St. Thomas Aquinas and how they formed future Catholic generations
3. The Battle of Lepanto and its resultant commitment to the Rosary
4. The papacy of Pope St. Pius X
5. The formation of the FSSP/ICK/Latin Mass communities to help people be open to Tradition, learn their Faith better, and have a reverent Mass to attend in places where they would otherwise be unavailable
I'd think the Council of Nicaea should be pretty far up there as well.
Good idea for a thread.

I'll say, in no particular order:

- Council of Nicea
- Battle of Tours (halted Muslim invasion of Europe, until about 2015)
- foundation of the medieval Catholic university system
- St. Benedict's establishment of his order
- the births of John Denver and Jerry Garcia
  • St Patrick's mission to Ireland, ca. AD 400. It was Irish monks who Christianised much of still pagan Europe.
  • The Battle of Covadonga, AD 722, the beginning of the Reconquista.
  • The Battle of Hattin, AD 1187, led to the loss of the Holy Land to the followers of the paedophile (may swine dung be upon him).
  • The Deformation, beginning AD 1517.
  • The Battle of Vienna, AD 1683, stopped the Muslim advance into Central Europe.
(04-01-2019, 05:33 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
  • St Patrick's mission to Ireland, ca. AD 400. It was Irish monks who Christianised much of still pagan Europe.
  • The Battle of Covadonga, AD 722, the beginning of the Reconquista.
  • The Battle of Hattin, AD 1187, led to the loss of the Holy Land to the followers of the paedophile (may swine dung be upon him).
  • The Deformation, beginning AD 1517.
  • The Battle of Vienna, AD 1683, stopped the Muslim advance into Central Europe.

Vienna was 1683.
(04-01-2019, 06:34 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ] Vienna was 1683.

Corrected! I should have remembered. I had a party in 1983 to celebrate the tercentenary.
The Five Bad

1.The Orthodox Schism in 1054
2.The Protestant Heresy beginning in 1517
3.The Failure of Eight Consecutive Popes to Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary beginning in 1929
4.The Second Vatican Council in 1965
5.The Papacy of Francis beginning in 2013

Pretty sure that three of those are worth a suspension at CAF.
(04-01-2019, 08:40 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]The Five Bad

1.The Orthodox Schism in 1054
2.The Protestant Heresy beginning in 1517
3.The Failure of Eight Consecutive Popes to Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary beginning in 1929
4.The Second Vatican Council in 1965
5.The Papacy of Francis beginning in 2013

Pretty sure that three of those are worth a suspension at CAF.

I’d say all five of them are.
The Five Good

1.First Council of Nicaea in 325
2.Council of Trent in 1563
3.Battle of Lepanto in 1571
4.The Syllabus of Errors in 1864
5.Pascendi dominici gregis in 1907