FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Francis I"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where does this notion of calling the Holy Father "Francis I" come from? I've been seeing it a lot in "trad" circles lately.
He is the first pope named Francis. If he dies and another pope takes his name, then Francis II. Think John Paul I and John Paul II.
(05-24-2019, 09:37 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: [ -> ]He is the first pope named Francis. If he dies and another pope takes his name, then Francis II. Think John Paul I and John Paul II.

And he won't be Francis I until there's a Francis II. That's why there's no Pope Lando I.
(05-24-2019, 09:49 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2019, 09:37 PM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: [ -> ]He is the first pope named Francis. If he dies and another pope takes his name, then Francis II. Think John Paul I and John Paul II.

And he won't be Francis I until there's a Francis II. That's why there's no Pope Lando I.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. To call him Francis I implies that there's already a Francis II.
(05-24-2019, 10:03 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]To call him Francis I implies that there's already a Francis II.

And there's only a Francis II if you're a Jacobite.