FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: best book defending Catholic views of papacy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those well-read on the topic, what are a few books you would recommend?  Something that effectively and comprehensively addresses the objections of the Orthodox, and convincingly shows the Catholic position to be correct?
(05-26-2019, 01:38 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]For those well-read on the topic, what are a few books you would recommend?  Something that effectively and comprehensively addresses the objections of the Orthodox, and convincingly shows the Catholic position to be correct?

I'll second the petition.
Here's a write up by Scott Hahn it covers this topic well. He has a couple book recommendations in there also.

Scott Hahn on the Papacy

God Bless
(05-26-2019, 01:38 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]For those well-read on the topic, what are a few books you would recommend?  Something that effectively and comprehensively addresses the objections of the Orthodox, and convincingly shows the Catholic position to be correct?

Sign me up.  I recently tried The Early Papacy to Chalcedon by Adrian Fortescue - it was OK, but really established primacy IMHO.  I'm at a loss for early writings that show sole supremacy.
(05-26-2019, 03:14 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: [ -> ]Sign me up.  I recently tried The Early Papacy to Chalcedon by Adrian Fortescue - it was OK, but really established primacy IMHO.  I'm at a loss for early writings that show sole supremacy.

In the book, is Fortescue attempting to establish supremacy, but fails to show anything greater than primacy?  Or is he only trying to establish primacy?
He is trying to establish both primacy and infallibility. I should give certain parts another read in all fairness.

I can say he does a good job of showing primacy in the early Church - which the East doesn't dispute.

The chapter on infallibility I need to give another read.
The Primitive Church and the See of Peter (1894), by Fr. Luke Rivington is a great start. And what is more, you can find the book online.

The book is quite thorough on the history of the first 500 years especially and shows Petrine Authority and Rome as the centre of Catholic Unity was upheld by the earliest Catholics and denied by the Donatists, for e.g., and others who fell into schism. It is not the fact of Rome's Authority that is in doubt even in the earliest Fathers, but schism that gradually leads to denial of Rome's Authority, and the rights God has given the Apostolic See. This is the thesis Fr. Rivington upholds throughout the book and, imho, quite ably defends from numerous sources.

The Chapter names are below for reference: http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/a122.htm

Introduction and Preface
Period I -- A.D. 96-300
"Chapter 1: The Epistle of St. Clement; or the Type Set
Chapter 2: The Clementine Romance
Chapter 3: St. Irenaeus, or the Sovereignty of the Church of Rome
Chapter 4: St. Victor, or the Guardian of the Common Unity
Chapter 5: The Doctrine of St. Cyprian on Unity
Chapter 6: St. Cyprian on Appeals to Rome
Chapter 7: St. Cyprian's Error on Baptism By Heretics
Chapter 8: Rome's Decision and Cyprian's Irritation
Chapter 9: Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch, Sees of Peter

Period II -- A.D. 300-384
Chapter 10: The Donatists and the Council of Arles
Chapter 11: The Council of Nicaea
Chapter 12: The Popes, the Guardians of the Nicene Canons
Chapter 13: The Reign of Liberius
Chapter 14: St. Damasus
Chapter 15: The Homage of Kings, or Gratian's Rescript
Chapter 16: The Council of Constantinople (A.D. 381)
Period III -- A.D. 400-452
Chapter 17: The Church of North Africa in the Days of St. Augustine
Chapter 18: The Council of Ephesus -- Preliminaries
Chapter 19: The Acts of the Council
Chapter 20: The See of Peter "Confirming the Brethren"
Chapter 21: The Fourth General Council -- Preliminaries
Chapter 22: The Latrocinium, or Robber Council
Chapter 23: The Deposition of Dioscorus
Chapter 24: The Definition of Faith
Chapter 25: Theodoret and Maximus
Chapter 26: The Byzantine Plot, or the 28th Canon
Chapter 27: The Easterns' Recognition of Papal Supremacy
Conclusion and Appendices
1. Rev. F. W. Puller's Interpretation of St. Cyprian
2. Are the Sardican Canons Nicene?
3. Rev. F. W. Puller on St. Ambrose
4. The Apostolic See, the Meaning of the Phrase"

Another great book on the Papacy by a deep thinker and brilliant theologian, and former Russian Orthodox, is "The Russian Church and the Papacy" by Vladimir Soloviev: Pope John Paul II praised Vladimir Soloviev. https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Church-Pa...1888992298