FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Devotion to the Sacred Heart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(10-05-2019, 12:21 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]It's beautiful, isn't it? I thought the same thing when reading about Lanciano.

Absolutely incredible, it's a travesty that these miracles aren't shared more often, it's almost like some people prefer to hide them away.

"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down. But I can find no such case." ― Charles Darwin

Well I know of a case, 3 specifically all scientifically tested and verified.

I also forgot to mention, even the AB+ Universal Blood type in only 3.4% of the population that matches the Shroud of Turin and the other Eucharistic Miracles, again in Lanciano 700AD impossible to have even known such a requirement even needed to be fulfilled.

God Bless You
Today, I discovered that there is a Little Office of the Sacred Heart, first composed during the life of St. Margaret Mary by a "Fr. Gette." I was astounded and plan to add it to my daily prayers. The version that I came across is from the book entitled "Prayer-Book for Religious" by Fr. F.X. LaSance. I find the Hymns quite beautiful. There are also other variations easily accessible through Google, such as one in both English and Latin: http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/...OPSCI.html

Here is the version I have adopted from the aforementioned book:

Quote:AT MATINS.
V. O LORD, open Thou my lips,
R. And my mouth shall sound Thy praise.
V. O God, come to my assistance,
R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost,
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Alleluia. or Praise be to Thee, O Lord, King of eternal glory.
V. Heart of Jesus, inflamed with love of us,
R. Inflame our hearts with love of thee.

Hymn.
THOU, joy of all the courts of heaven,
Thou, splendor of the Father’s face,
In mercy didst our flesh embrace,
To be for us a victim given.

Our heart’s delight, O Jesu, bless
My heart with fires that purify,
Lest it should praise unworthily,
Thy Heart, the throne of holiness.

Sweet, lovable beyond compare,
O Heart, which love has set on fire,
Which languishes with love’s desire,
Thy mercy show me; hear my prayer.

Sweeter art thou than honey stored;
O Sacred Heart, to thee are dear
Pure minds, to thee pure hearts draw near.
Be thou by every heart adored. Amen.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, most obedient to thy Father’s will, turn our hearts to thyself that we may ever do those things which are pleasing to thee.
V. My heart is ready, O God of my heart, to do Thy will.
R. My God, I have willed it, that Thy law be ever in the midst of my heart.

Let us pray.

O LORD Jesus, Who hast deigned to open to the Church Thy spouse, the unspeakable delights and riches of Thy Heart; grant that we Thy servants may be worthy to be enriched and refreshed with the heavenly graces springing from this sweetest source. Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

AT LAUDS.
V. O GOD, come to my assistance.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Alleluia or Praise be to Thee, O Lord, King of eternal glory.

Hymn.

O HEART, the Godhead’s worthy throne,
Thee did the Spirit’s power create,
In Mary’s womb immaculate,—
The Virgin Mother’s holy One.

Praised is through thee the Trinity;
Thou art the Father’s bliss; the Son
Hath knit thee with Himself in one;
And rests the Holy Ghost in thee.

In thee the wrecked world safety finds,
And faithful souls their peace secure,
A cloister too, where chaste and pure
Serenely rests their hearts and minds.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, thirsting for our salvation, recall us faithless wanderers to a right mind, that we may not die in our sins.

Let us pray.

O LORD Jesus, Who hast deigned to open to the Church, Thy spouse, the unspeakable delights and riches of Thy Heart, grant that we Thy servants may be worthy to be enriched and refreshed with the heavenly graces springing from this sweetest source. Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

AT PRIME.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Alleluia or Praise be to Thee, O Lord, King of eternal glory.

Hymn.

HEART, victim of eternal love,
Undying bliss of all the blest,
Of mortal men the strength and rest,
Their one, their highest hope above.

When, with deep wound, love pierced thy side
It welcomed us, and in the gate
It cried: “Come quickly, do not wait;
Behold the way, how fair and wide!”

Since thou hast washed us in that tide
Of blood which gushed from every pore,
Gather and keep us evermore
Deep in the shelter of thy side.

Be thou by ever heart adored. Amen.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, most perfect pattern of purity, make us to be clean of heart, that we may be worthy to be found like unto thee.

Let us pray.

O LORD Jesus, Who hast deigned to open to the Church, Thy spouse, the unspeakable delights and riches of Thy Heart, grant that we Thy servants may be worthy to be enriched and refreshed with the heavenly graces springing from this sweetest source. Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

AT TERCE.

Hymn.

MAY that same love, O stricken beast,
Now wound our hearts, which wounded Thine;
And fill us with love’s sacred wine,
Life-giving nectar of the blest!

In faith’s new mystery to our hearts
God gives His flesh to be their food,
And the full chalice of His blood
In His own feast of love imparts.

He Whom all heaven with blissful dread
Adores, now shrouds His majesty
With mystic veil that He may be
To little ones their daily bread.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, most meek with all thine enemies, may thy peace so reign in us, that from our hearts we may forgive those that persecute and calumniate us.

Let us pray.

AT SEXT.

Hymn.

GOD will our choicest victims slight
O Heart, unless they rest on thee,
Whose altar wide, all earth and sea
Embracing, towers o’er heaven’s height.

Here reign enthroned the virtues all,
Whose bright array with faithful care
Must needs watch innocence so fair,
Lest left alone she surely fall.

In this Heart’s depth that law of right
Moves, which should rule earth’s destiny;
And thence for our felicity
Grace pours its stream of love and light.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, broken with sorrow for our sins, bestow on us a humble and contrite heart, that we may bring forth fruits worthy of penance.

Let us pray.

AT NONE.

Hymn.

O HEART, the sun’s pure ray near thine
Is dark; heaven shrinks near thine abode;
Thou sum of all the works of God,
Of His eternal word the shrine.

Thine acts, O Heart, encompass all
The offerings worthy of the Sire;
Nor is there any least desire
Not thine, on which His blessings fall.

Our sins the wrath of God provoke;
He lifts the thunderbolt, yet sees
Thy throbbings, gentle Heart, and these
Stay and recall His vengeful stroke

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, to which poverty was most dear, place us as a seal upon thyself, that in thee, as in our only treasure, our hearts may ever wholly be.

Let us pray.

AT VESPERS.

Hymn.

EQUAL to God’s dread sanctity,
O Victim Heart, thine altar bears
Always, regarding not the years,
Atonement for iniquity.

Filling with plaintive note thy nest,
She feeds, who is thy mystic dove,
Among thy flowers on bread of love—
Thy Spouse, O Heart of God, at rest.

Here breathes that stainless lily’s breath,
Which decks the virgin’s crown so rare,
And here the rose without compare
Grows red to grace the martyr’s death.

Ant. O Sacred Heart of Jesus, full of loving kindness for those who love thee, may our flesh and our hearts be absorbed in thee, that thou mayest be the love of our heart and our portion forever.

Let us pray.

AT COMPLINE.

Hymn.

ON fire with love’s sweet violence,
The Mother’s heart pants ceaselessly
All for her Son’s—His own to be
In mystic self-indifference.

The bonds of love, which naught can part,
The Mother’s heart with His unite;
His fires of love do hers ignite
And hers reenter straight His Heart.

Ant. O Victim of charity, most loving-Heart of Jesus, immolated for our sins, neglected and outraged by ungrateful men, change us, quicken us, and set us on fire.

Let us pray.

Pope Leo XIII. granted an indulgence of 200 days for the recitation of this office. This indulgence can be gained once a day.
[Image: corjesu.jpg]

It's June again, the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart. Bumping this thread once again for visibility.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, inflamed with love for us, inflame our hearts with love of Thee!
(05-31-2020, 11:39 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ][Image: corjesu.jpg]

It's June again, the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart. Bumping this thread once again for visibility.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, inflamed with love for us, inflame our hearts with love of Thee!

This is beautiful, where did you find it?  I've been casually looking for a Sacred Heart/Immaculate Heart icon set that looks appropriately Byzantine but also doesn't turn the hearts into a sort of cartoonish appropriation.  It's difficult to find.  This one isn't perfect, but it definitely looks to be one of the better ones.  So far, the images that I've found to be the best are still the Latin ones where both Christ and Mary are wearing red with an outer blue cloak.
(06-01-2020, 01:13 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

This is beautiful, where did you find it?  I've been casually looking for a Sacred Heart/Immaculate Heart icon set that looks appropriately Byzantine but also doesn't turn the hearts into a sort of cartoonish appropriation.  It's difficult to find.  This one isn't perfect, but it definitely looks to be one of the better ones.  So far, the images that I've found to be the best are still the Latin ones where both Christ and Mary are wearing red with an outer blue cloak.

You can get a Giclee print of it here: https://www.eliasicons.co.uk/shop

I ordered one a few weeks back, still waiting on it to show up, but it's the best Sacred Heart icon I've come across.
how do I get started with this devotion?
what daily prayers? i feel I should start having this devotion.
but i really dont know what to do or what to meditate on.
(06-01-2020, 07:52 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: [ -> ]how do I get started with this devotion?
what daily prayers? i feel I should start having this devotion.
but i really dont know what to do or what to meditate on.

Read either Devotion to the Sacred Heart by Fr. John Croiset, or The Life of Bl. Margaret Mary Alacoque by Emile Bougaud. I have links provided to those books in my original post. Both will give you insight into how the devotion began and what it promises, plus you'll get to know my patron saint, St. Margaret Mary very well.

As for prayers, the Litany of the Sacred Heart is a great prayer to start with. And within it you can find the various attributes of our Lord's Heart to meditate on.

If you're into listening/watching videos, I made a YouTube playlist with a bunch of great videos on the Sacred Heart: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...sBrmrSJrVw
(06-01-2020, 07:36 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2020, 01:13 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

You can get a Giclee print of it here: https://www.eliasicons.co.uk/shop

I ordered one a few weeks back, still waiting on it to show up, but it's the best Sacred Heart icon I've come across.

On second thought, I would caution ordering a print from this site. It is the original creator of the icon, mind you, but the print I ordered showed up yesterday and looks really bad. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home in the What Did you Just order? thread. It's pretty washed out compared to the image I've shared here.
(06-07-2020, 08:49 AM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]On second thought, I would caution ordering a print from this site. It is the original creator of the icon, mind you, but the print I ordered showed up yesterday and looks really bad. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home in the What Did you Just order? thread. It's pretty washed out compared to the image I've shared here.

Sorry to hear.  It's always a disappointment when the advertised product falls so short of what you get.

By the way, have you read "Cor Jesu Sacratissimum?"  I can't remember if I ever asked you that.  Have a great Sunday.
(06-07-2020, 09:04 AM)LionHippo Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2020, 08:49 AM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]On second thought, I would caution ordering a print from this site. It is the original creator of the icon, mind you, but the print I ordered showed up yesterday and looks really bad. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home in the What Did you Just order? thread. It's pretty washed out compared to the image I've shared here.

Sorry to hear.  It's always a disappointment when the advertised product falls so short of what you get.

By the way, have you read "Cor Jesu Sacratissimum?"  I can't remember if I ever asked you that.  Have a great Sunday.

I read about half of it, it's not bad. I enjoyed some chapters of what I read; what made me put it down was the tangent the book took into environmentalism and climate change that really turned me off of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4