FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Archbishop Sheen is Going Home to Peoria
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Glad to see. 

That being said, am I the only one who finds this multi-decade lawsuit over where the archbishop should repose, dragged out in secular courts a tad shameful?
I have mixed feelings.
I understand Peoria.  Other remains have been moved in the past.
But the man was specific about his burial.  If he had not been specific about his wishes then I understand the families decision, but he was specific that he wished to be buried in New York.
(06-09-2019, 04:31 PM)MaryTN Wrote: [ -> ]But the man was specific about his burial.  If he had not been specific about his wishes then I understand the families decision, but he was specific that he wished to be buried in New York.

No, he was specific that he wanted to be buried in "Calvary Cemetery, the official cemetery of the Archdiocese of New York". He was instead interred in St Patrick's Cathedral.
(06-09-2019, 09:30 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2019, 04:31 PM)MaryTN Wrote: [ -> ]But the man was specific about his burial.  If he had not been specific about his wishes then I understand the families decision, but he was specific that he wished to be buried in New York.

No, he was specific that he wanted to be buried in "Calvary Cemetery, the official cemetery of the Archdiocese of New York". He was instead interred in St Patrick's Cathedral.

In other words, the Cheese Head has been lying about this, just as he lies about a lot of other things.
(06-09-2019, 09:35 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]In other words, the Cheese Head has been lying about this, just as he lies about a lot of other things.

It's been the archdiocese opposing the moving of his body the whole time, and the judge wasn't too impressed. Archbishop Sheen ended up in the cathedral because the niece, who's the one asking for him to be moved, agreed to it, when they asked her about it right after he died. I'm not really sure why they oppose his cause, but that seems to be what this is really over.

Quote:What is the basis of respondents' objection? They do not claim that the family is seeking to transfer Archbishop Sheen from hallowed earth for reburial in unconsecrated ground (cf. Yome v Gorman, 242 NY 395, 403 [1926]); it is undisputed that Archbishop Sheen's remains would be moved from consecrated ground at St. Patrick's Cathedral to consecrated ground at St. Mary's Cathedral. There is no claim that Archbishop Sheen expressed any wish forbidding disinterment of his remains. Nor is there a claim that disinterment is forbidden in the Catholic faith. Rather, respondents' objection is based on unsupported speculation that decedent wanted his remains to stay in New York and that moving his remains to Illinois would contradict his wishes. But, as discussed above, Archbishop Sheen expressed a desire to be buried in Calvary Cemetery. Respondents' claim that Archbishop Sheen expressed a general desire to be buried in New York is an unsupported conjecture.

Under these circumstances, where the decedent's known wishes were not followed, that is, Archbishop Sheen is not interred where he intended, the Court will defer to the wishes of the family because petitioner has set forth a justifiable, good, and substantial reason for moving Archbishop Sheen's remains. None of the common factors disfavoring disinterment are present here such as exhumation to unconsecrated ground or contravening the wishes of the decedent (see Currier, 300 NY at 164).
(06-09-2019, 09:49 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really sure why they oppose his cause, but that seems to be what this is really over.

That's what confuses me. NY doesn't seem to be interested in the Cause at all. It's my understanding that Peoria has agreed to return substantial first class relics if the Cause advances. Why the dog in the manger attitude?
I don't remember details (insufficient coffee yet). I remember that in one of the Off The Menu episodes, Sir Charles Coulombe (or was it in a Dr. Taylor Marshall podcast?)  mentioned animosity between Cardinal Spellman and Archbishop Sheen, which carried to his protegé, Cardinal Dolan, the general thrust of which seemed to be determination to impede canonization. Sorry, must consume more coffee before engaging brain.  Big Grin