FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Protestant (e.g. Baptist) practice of saying “Amen” or “Mmhmm!” during sermons.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Where did this come from?
Seems like a major manifestation of pride (viz. “Mmhmm that’s right I learned that and it’s true so I’m going to make sure you all hear me”).
(06-09-2019, 04:53 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Where did this come from?
Seems like a major manifestation of pride (viz. “Mmhmm that’s right I learned that and it’s true so I’m going to make sure you all hear me”).

Amen means "assuredly of a truth".  It's an affirmation, so I'm not sure how using it thus in response to a protestant sermon is any worse than actually being in a protestant communion.

In the USA I've heard the folks who use "amen" or "mmhmm" as an ejaculation called "holy rollers".  I believe it's in reference to the whirling dervish-like practices that cause spectacles in public services...and applied also to the vocal outbursts.  It's always referred to as a part of the spectacle...so could well be prideful.
It wasn’t the word “Amen” I was addressing — just the random blurting it out.

Meh, not really. Amen is sort of analogous to saying "That is the truth."

It is mostly a thing that preachers use to keep a crowd enthralled.
I think it's like a mutual rallying cry.

I definitely encourage you read about the waves of charismatic Christianity (First Wave, Second Wave, Third Wave) as sociological movements.  Learn about the phenomenon of old-time revivals, tent meetings, and traveling preachers as well.  Some see that as a foundation of modern-day Pentecostalism.  I grew up in a church that was born out of those movements.  They weren't exactly holy rollers though- we were definitely on the more reserved side of that type of Christianity.  Occasionally, someone would should "praise the Lord" in the middle of church, but thankfully it wasn't a common occurrence.  Sometimes people would softly say "yes Jesus" while someone else was praying, but it wasn't obnoxious and it was always unusual enough that I found it weird. This sort of thing is common among Pentecostal churches, especially so in black gospel churches.  Most of the reason for this is cultural.  They're not trying to get attention, because everyone else is doing the same thing.  There is a danger, however, in treating church like it's just an opportunity to whip your emotions into a frenzy and cry, shout, and clap.  That may feel good, but it isn't necessarily evidence of one's love for God.
This is pretty normal in my part of the country, even in the white churches.  Not as loud in the white churches, and not nearly as often, usually.....it is even a running meme in conversation.
Much more common and louder during preaching/group prayer  during seminars, gatherings, etc., less so during formal Sunday services in the larger churches.  In the little churches it seems to be more common.  I would interpret this to be a way an individual "shares" with the preacher that he/she is making an important or emotional point.  I have never heard of this being a sign of disrespect or being done to draw attention away from the preacher - it is more of a support to the preacher, as if to say, "you got that right, you really said something important there".
At first it really threw me, but after being here for so long, it seems normal.
My  uncle lived in Minneapolis, MN in the 70's and he attended a church with this.
Doesn't happen in the Catholic Churches, even here.
(06-09-2019, 06:33 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn’t the word “Amen” I was addressing — just the random blurting it out.

Mmhmm.
I've tried to figure this one out myself, but with no luck. I went to a Baptist funeral for a friend's mother last year, and every 5th or 6th word (yes, I counted) was Amen.

The other one you hear is "I KNOW that's the truth!"

(06-10-2019, 07:46 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2019, 06:33 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn’t the word “Amen” I was addressing — just the random blurting it out.

Mmhmm.

I KNOW that's the truth!! Amen!
(06-10-2019, 07:46 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]

Mmhmm.

XD
Pages: 1 2