FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Whispering in the Adoration Chapel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have spurts where I go to the local adoration chapel and pray the rosary.  I really try to visual each of the 5 parts of the mystery I'm praying while still not making the Lord's Prayers or the Hail Marys too automatic and empty.  I'm not very good at it.

During the last couple of days there has been someone who whispers their prayers in the chapel while I'm praying.  On each occasion it's been an older lady, not the same one on both days, who's really focused and praying hard in a whispery voice.  I don't say anything because I want to let them do their thing, and I'd be a jerk to interrupt their prayers.

I can't focus on my prayers when they're whispering, for some reason it really gets under my skin.  But instead of complaining or asking them to stop, I'm going to try and turn it into an exercise of tolerance and try to focus more on my praying. 

Saying that, if you're a whisperer while you pray in the adoration chapel, please stop and use that voice in your head instead.
I get what you mean. I haven't been able to go to adoration for a while, but audible whispers among other things can be distracting for me. Admittedly, I have the habit of whispering prayers too, but I've been working on it.
My issue is that I always have to fight with the mindset that my prayers don't count unless I vocalize them. Which I know is wrong and silly.
(06-15-2019, 06:55 PM)jack89 Wrote: [ -> ]I have spurts where I go to the local adoration chapel and pray the rosary.  I really try to visual each of the 5 parts of the mystery I'm praying while still not making the Lord's Prayers or the Hail Marys too automatic and empty.  I'm not very good at it.

During the last couple of days there has been someone who whispers their prayers in the chapel while I'm praying.  On each occasion it's been an older lady, not the same one on both days, who's really focused and praying hard in a whispery voice.  I don't say anything because I want to let them do their thing, and I'd be a jerk to interrupt their prayers.

I can't focus on my prayers when they're whispering, for some reason it really gets under my skin.  But instead of complaining or asking them to stop, I'm going to try and turn it into an exercise of tolerance and try to focus more on my praying. 

Saying that, if you're a whisperer while you pray in the adoration chapel, please stop and use that voice in your head instead.

I totally agree.  I prefer to go to adoration in the middle of the night.  The older people who pray loudly tend to not want to go out at night.  Same goes for families with young children.  My best experiences in adoration have been in the middle of the night.
(06-15-2019, 09:20 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I totally agree.  I prefer to go to adoration in the middle of the night.  The older people who pray loudly tend to not want to go out at night.  Same goes for families with young children.  My best experiences in adoration have been in the middle of the night.

We don't have an Adoration Chapel, but as of today, the Church is accessible to parishioners 24/7 for prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. We've installed a keypad lock, which I'm overjoyed about because I'm a night person and I'm more likely to make a Visit at night!
(06-15-2019, 09:20 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I totally agree.  I prefer to go to adoration in the middle of the night.  The older people who pray loudly tend to not want to go out at night.  Same goes for families with young children.  My best experiences in adoration have been in the middle of the night.

I might give that a try.  We have one of those keypads like Credidi mentioned for 24 hour access.
(06-15-2019, 06:55 PM)jack89 Wrote: [ -> ]I have spurts where I go to the local adoration chapel and pray the rosary.  I really try to visual each of the 5 parts of the mystery I'm praying while still not making the Lord's Prayers or the Hail Marys too automatic and empty.  I'm not very good at it.
Try kneeling on some dry rice
(06-15-2019, 11:06 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: [ -> ]

Am I missing some nuance or are you being serious?
Jack, I can relate. I have a personality quirk where I can’t stand mouth noises (like chewing gum or noisy eating, dry mouth, nail biting) or whispering. It causes intense, irrational annoyance and discomfort for me.  I’ve got in the habit of bringing a pair of those foam gun range ear plugs wherever I go. That way I don’t bother other people and they don’t bother me. Maybe you could bring ear plugs to adoration with you?
(06-16-2019, 12:23 PM)jack89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2019, 11:06 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: [ -> ]

Am I missing some nuance or are you being serious?
I wouldn't know how to do nuance 

You haven't prayed until you have a prayer injury and I guarantee you if you kneel on some rice in the adoration chapel you will have no problem focusing on what you need to focus on and not some old lady whispering.