FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Time locked down in prison
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If anyone has ever been to jail or has had a loved one in jail they know how hard it is.
I was recently imprisoned for the first time in my life. The charges were all driving unlicensed, not a criminal offence.
I felt hard done by society as no form of reasoning can justify jail time without committing a crime in my eyes.

"Why am I being locked up when I have never hurt anyone in my life, I've never even stolen off anyone ever."
This question haunted me as I confirmed that the morals of our society are corrupted by money.
Eg if I had 10-15 grand for a lawyer I know he would of given some to the judge and some to the prosecutor and id be free.
Meanwhile the traditional Christian morals that western society was built on are being demolished for Satan's morals.

In prison I found the temptations of Lucifer everywhere. From inner feelings and thoughts of sinful revenge to provocations from outside sources like the guards and inmates. I learnt not only to resist provocation but to also avoid provoking provocations. 

Eg even though I like playing soccer i never did in jail. The reason was that something on the pitch might spark a brawl which would tempt me into sin, resulting in more jail time. 
The guards have hearts that are hardened by Satan, they speak to you in condescending tones, use foul language and treat you like a wild animal to try provoke you to react.
I was able to identify Lucifers temptations on the inside which Im grateful to God for.

Thankfully the spirit of our Lord also resides in these prisons and for some reason is easier to reach then when on the outside. Being imprisoned turns unbelievers into believers similar to some time in a hospital. Maybe its the stripping back of all material objects and living simply, perhaps its because of the inhumane treatment endured or maybe even the time away from loved ones. Whatever the reason the spirit of the Lord is strong in prison. Im reminded of Jesus dinning with sinners and being crucified with criminals. He is there, on the inside, comforting anyone who repents and looks for him with a faithful heart.

This was my favourite prayer on the inside though it would often bring a tear to my eye.
Lord, I miss my family and friends and worry about things at home.
I'm sorry for the times I have hurt them or disappointed them.
I hope they know I really love them. Don't let them worry too much about me.
Help us get through this time, in the certainty that though we 
are separated, you are still with them and with me. Amen.

Most of the guys in jail worry the most about their family. 
When we see them or speak to them in jail we are often left feeling empty and alone in the cell after they leave.
Its such a hollow feeling it softens the heart as they long for the day they can be together on the outside.

My favorite bible passage on the inside was 2 Corinthians 11:23-29

[i]"Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. [/i][i]Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?"[/i]

That inwardly burn that Paul speaks about is so bad. Satan fills prisoners with anger, hate and resent which hardens the heart.
Without the objective moral guideline of religion one can easily fall into sinful retaliation. 
Something about hearing about people in even worse situations humbles a person. 
From what I heard prison in Latin America and Asia is enough to drive many guys insane.
Stories from the elders of prisons back then are horrifying. Torture was widely used.

Reading what Paul went through and how humble he remained is an inspiration for any prisoner to not act on evil temptations.
Jesus' moral teachings are also a benchmark to aim for. Don't fight, don't even think about a fight.

I'd like to hear from people who have been incarcerated or have had loved ones locked up. Sharing these experiences are helpful.
I pray for the lord to soften their hearts and for the blessing of all the prisoners. Amen.
They have a Community Corrections Center nearby here and from what I've heard it's basically a Baptist bible college and pretty much mandatory participation required if you want out of the regular jail. Sadly there's nothing like jailhouse religion with no roots to whither and die once the poor prisoner is released. Good luck to u pnc
(06-22-2019, 07:40 PM)Porkncheese Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone has ever been to jail or has had a loved one in jail they know how hard it is.
I was recently imprisoned for the first time in my life. The charges were all driving unlicensed, not a criminal offence.
I felt hard done by society as no form of reasoning can justify jail time without committing a crime in my eyes.
I don't understand why you would feel that your imprisonment was not justified.
It is certainly quite reasonable for the State to establish a system requiring some licensing for drivers to protect the common good.
If one violates a just law, then it is only just that he pay the penalty, and while in most cases it does seem a bit excessive that someone could be jailed for such an offense, there are certainly situations where it would be justified, especially if there were seriously aggravating circumstances, or a where the offender were spiteful of the authority.
(06-22-2019, 07:40 PM)Porkncheese Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone has ever been to jail or has had a loved one in jail they know how hard it is.

I don't know the Aussie laws, but if you're required by that law to hold a personal license to drive on public thoroughfares and you choose to transgress that law by driving a motor vehicle on the public streets and highways when you have no such license, then by definition you have committed a criminal offense.

Most places require driving licenses for operation of motor vehicles on public thoroughfares as proof that you've received sufficient training not to hurt the general public or public property with a 3000+ lb battering ram.

I think that you should do some soul searching based upon information gathered from objective reality to make your logical conclusions, rather than starting from the conclusion that you've done no wrong and supporting it upon subjective feeling.  For example:

1) To drive on public thoroughfares without a driving license is to commit a criminal offense.
2) I drove on the public thoroughfares without a driving license.
3) I, therefore, committed a criminal offense.

If you're not willing to accept objective reality as a basis of your logical conclusions, you're setting yourself up for a very difficult life.
1 - My thread was an invitation to discuss the grace and power of God to people in desperate need.
Not 1 person had enough empathy to see beyond their little world.
2- Driving offences are not regarded as a crime in this country and isn't a sin.
3 -  Yet u try to justify my imprisonment without any details of the matter, length of the sentence or living conditions. 
The omniscient judges
4 - You guys are stiff necked and have no idea what u say.

God please don't judge these men as harshly as they've judged me.
Forgive them for the law they advocated is corrupted by Lucifer. 
Adultery, trans genderism, abortion and all kinds of sexual immorality.
Amen
(06-22-2019, 08:24 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: [ -> ]They have a Community Corrections Center nearby here and from what I've heard it's basically a Baptist bible college and pretty much mandatory participation required if you want out of the regular jail. Sadly there's nothing like jailhouse religion with no roots to whither and die once the poor prisoner is released. Good luck to u pnc

Why pick on those trying to bring God's Word to someone?

Many have turned lives around because they heard the Word through protestant preaching.  I don't know where I'd be were it not for protestant preaching and evangelizing.

Even Scott Hahn has said something along the lines of - They have less, but they often do more with less.

Seems awful prideful to pick on that, especially in today's RCC.

You can walk into many (most in my experience) Catholic Churches today and not hear a good Gospel message, or not be taught what it's all about, or taught much anything except when the pancake breakfast is.
Driving with a suspended license is very serious. Bad drivers who drive when they shouldn’t are why I don’t drive. That is horribly inconvenient, considering I live in the middle of nowhere. That being said, I’m sorry you had to experience prison. Whether or not you deserved it is irrelevant. Please learn the painful lesson. Don’t let the pain be for nothing.
I’m sorry to hear you were in jail.
Just remember that nothing happens without God Willing it or permitting it.
You have to find the means by which you can desire to save your soul all the more ardently as a result of that terrible experience.
What is God trying to root out of you?  Pride?  Disobedience?

It’s a good opportunity to really begin purging yourself of the things that aren’t pleasing to God.
May your constant prayer be “Jesus, make my heart like unto Thine”.
Seek always to be humble and contrite.
God bless you.
(06-23-2019, 11:04 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sorry to hear you were in jail.
Just remember that nothing happens without God Willing it or permitting it.
You have to find the means by which you can desire to save your soul all the more ardently as a result of that terrible experience.
What is God trying to root out of you?  Pride?  Disobedience?

It’s a good opportunity to really begin purging yourself of the things that aren’t pleasing to God.
May your constant prayer be “Jesus, make my heart like unto Thine”.
Seek always to be humble and contrite.
God bless you.

Let me add that I know how bad some of these jails are (e.g. the living conditions, the rampant mental illness and addictions, etc.).
Years ago, I volunteered at the local jail.
It was basically just a program for inmates to socialize with people that weren’t in jail.
We’d volunteer once a week, for two hours, in which we saw two inmates (viz. one inmate per hour).
At the time I had fallen away from the Church, and was basically a “Five Point Calvinist”.
In my pride, I went in there preaching the “Gospel of Calvinism”.
It wasn’t until months later that my heart started cracking open and I started realizing the whole thing was a giant facade (at least in large part).
I think I still had experienced a powerful conversion to Christ, but lacked the humility to follow the truth wherever it led (ultimately to the Catholic Church).
My fiancé at the time (now my wife) was and is a Catholic, and I’d for years been trying to get her to “see the light” of Calvinism.
Needless to say she was beside herself that a few months before our marriage I was suddenly saying “Yeah, so it turns out I was wrong this whole time..”
That will forever be a stain on my existence.
(06-23-2019, 09:18 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2019, 08:24 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: [ -> ]They have a Community Corrections Center nearby here and from what I've heard it's basically a Baptist bible college and pretty much mandatory participation required if you want out of the regular jail. Sadly there's nothing like jailhouse religion with no roots to whither and die once the poor prisoner is released. Good luck to u pnc

Why pick on those trying to bring God's Word to someone?

Many have turned lives around because they heard the Word through protestant preaching.  I don't know where I'd be were it not for protestant preaching and evangelizing.

Even Scott Hahn has said something along the lines of - They have less, but they often do more with less.

Seems awful prideful to pick on that, especially in today's RCC.

You can walk into many (most in my experience) Catholic Churches today and not hear a good Gospel message, or not be taught what it's all about, or taught much anything except when the pancake breakfast is.

My heart may seem calloused but cherry-coating getting ' volunteered' to go to Sunday School in the Grey-bar Hotel, (usually under duress), doesn't get around the fact that it may not bear much good fruit.

A local storefront church had: 'WHY IS IT AGAINST THE LAW TO READ THE BIBLE IN SCHOOL BUT NOT IN PRISON?' on their reader board. 

Wouldn't PRAY be better? especially if one was young and in fear? But no, let's indoctrinate them.

It seems wrong.
Pages: 1 2