FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Immutability of God's Will and Petitionary Prayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(06-27-2019, 04:08 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just dealing with the shittiness of existence in this world and trying to reconcile the act of loving God with knowing the shit that causes you misery was something he willed for you, and even thought necessary for a perfect world.

I'm with you on that one, I've had a desire to die lately (non-suicidal!). The only thing that gets me through it is the Passion, without that then all of the misery seems pointless.
(06-27-2019, 05:27 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2019, 05:05 PM)Filiolus Wrote: [ -> ]I sympathize for the most part, but... doesn't he love us unequally? It'd be a bit unjust for him to love me as much as he loves the Virgin Mary, for example.

My guess is only in relation to Christ, although the idea that the whole Trinity favors her over the rest of humanity does not really bother me.  If God just decides he likes some guy better than me, or me better than some guy, though, that affects my ability to trust him.  It would always mean that, wherever my best interests and someone else's best interests, whom God favors more, are in conflict, God will not act in my best interests.  Assuming I have sufficient knowledge to act in my best interest, I would, at least sometimes, do better to trust in myself rather than God; trusting in God absolutely would be foolhardy.

This is kind of a strange way to think, though, isn't it?

One of the things Eastern and Western Christianity have in common is the mysticism. It's emphasized much more in Eastern Christianity, and I wish it were more emphasized in the West. But isn't the goal of mysticism to grow more and more in love with God? And isn't that mostly to unite one's will with His?

And if that's the goal, shouldn't we be happy for others when they are given preference over us? Rejoice in their graces even though we don't receive them? I think of St. John reclining on Christ's breast and receiving charge of Our Lady, when the other apostles did not receive those particular graces.

Isn't one of the most beautiful things about the Eternal Beatitude that awaits us the free and easy way each will love Christ and each other, despite the inevitable inequality?
(06-27-2019, 05:54 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with you on that one, I've had a desire to die lately (non-suicidal!). The only thing that gets me through it is the Passion, without that then all of the misery seems pointless.

I feel the same way and relate to that completely.  Completely non-suicidal, but want to die, and even don't want to wait till my 60s or 70s for it to happen.  But, like my signature says, I don't want to just die; I want to cease to exist.  The part of me that holds a glimmer of hope that what is lost is not lost forever thinks I'm necessarily kicking an illogical hope down the road.  That any hopeful idea of eternity for me is just pie in the sky.
(06-27-2019, 08:07 PM)Filiolus Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't one of the most beautiful things about the Eternal Beatitude that awaits us the free and easy way each will love Christ and each other, despite the inevitable inequality?

I don't really hold much hope for a blessed eternity anymore.  Ideally, I'd like to cease to exist, and I always hope for Christ's mercy knowing that that is unlikely, but I have a hard time believing eternal existence for me will be anything remotely heavenly.
But you know there is still hope, right? Whatever you’re struggling with doesn’t need to be the end of the story. 

I obviously don’t know your situation but I am very sad that you feel almost beyond hope. I don’t suppose a theological discussion would help much, as I’m sure you know the relevant moral doctrine already, but I wish I could help you see reason for hope somehow. I’ll pray for you.
(06-27-2019, 09:38 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2019, 05:54 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with you on that one, I've had a desire to die lately (non-suicidal!). The only thing that gets me through it is the Passion, without that then all of the misery seems pointless.

I feel the same way and relate to that completely.  Completely non-suicidal, but want to die, and even don't want to wait till my 60s or 70s for it to happen.  But, like my signature says, I don't want to just die; I want to cease to exist.  The part of me that holds a glimmer of hope that what is lost is not lost forever thinks I'm necessarily kicking an illogical hope down the road.  That any hopeful idea of eternity for me is just pie in the sky.
My desire is because given the understanding of God and Christ that the Church has given me, to use a blunt term, everything in this world is shit in comparison. There's things I love and that do bring joy like my children and family, some personal hobbies and the like but they cannot hold up to what I perceive when I read or hear about God.

That said, I'm sorry that you have such a bleak outlook on eternity. I've noticed your signature before. I'll pray for you.
I don't really hold much hope for a blessed eternity anymore.  Ideally, I'd like to cease to exist, and I always hope for Christ's mercy knowing that that is unlikely, but I have a hard time believing eternal existence for me will be anything remotely heavenly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's rather refreshing Melkite in a electronic world full of celebrity priests and barking mad lunatics cocksure of their heavenly assumptions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4