FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is it best to avoid secular music completely?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I usually avoid it.
But occasionally I’ll listen to some.
Anyways last night I was trying to do 15 mins of meditation, and I seriously struggled getting this ear worm of a song out of my head as I tried to meditate and pray (linked below).
Perhaps there’s quite a lot of individual differences here, but it seems like this can be a serious distraction for people.

(06-27-2019, 08:54 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I usually avoid it.
Anyways last night I was trying to do 15 mins of meditation, and I seriously struggled getting this ear worm of a song out of my head as I tried to meditate and pray (linked below).
Perhaps there’s quite a lot of individual differences here, but it seems like this can be a serious distraction for people.

No, of course it isn't.  Anything you put in your head can  be a distraction from prayer, but that doesn't mean we should avoid exposing our senses and our minds to anything whatsoever.  Sacred music can be just as much a distraction as secular music can.
Moderation in all things is key. One thing the devil does is trick the faithful into thinking that they cannot enjoy the goods of this world.

Having a song struck in your head during meditation does not mean that song is evil. The saints themselves were plagued with distractions while praying, it's perfectly normal.
Lol I don't what I'd do if I had that song stuck in my head during prayer. LOL

Sacred music by definition is music set aside for liturgy. It was never meant to be heard outside of that context. It is only when we have the technology for recordings and easy distribution and playback that we could listen to sacred music outside of its proper context. So, what's the point? People have always listened to and sung secular music in its proper context: the saeculum. It is perfectly normal and healthy and good to have music proper to a culture, and during Christendom, secular music typically had strong religious motifs or implications based on the Catholic faith. Some secular music today still does that although it's harder to come by. Folk music is generally typically good or least harmless in moderation. 

Your issue isn't secular music. It's just not getting disturbed by distractions, which are also good and normal. The dry and distracted prayer, patiently endured and offered up in humble resignation, is one of the best prayers. It offers us the best opportunities to realize how insignificant we are without God's grace and support, how easily distractible, how fickle. It humbles us and causes us to adore God in His perfections and goodness and patience and condescension towards us all the more. All the mystics and doctors tell us these things.
Quote:No, of course it isn't.  Anything you put in your head can  be a distraction from prayer, but that doesn't mean we should avoid exposing our senses and our minds to anything whatsoever.  Sacred music can be just as much a distraction as secular music can.

Really? I'd rather have Veni Sancte Spiritus stuck in my head while I'm praying the rosary than to have it be Truckin' by the Grateful Dead.
(06-28-2019, 09:05 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:No, of course it isn't.  Anything you put in your head can  be a distraction from prayer, but that doesn't mean we should avoid exposing our senses and our minds to anything whatsoever.  Sacred music can be just as much a distraction as secular music can.

Really? I'd rather have Veni Sancte Spiritus stuck in my head while I'm praying the rosary than to have it be Truckin' by the Grateful Dead.

I would too, but Veni Sancte Spiritus would still be a distraction if I was trying to pray or meditate. 
"I believe in God, the Father almighty creator of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God, the Father almighty. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen."

This is what's stuck in my head.

God bless you all.
(06-28-2019, 10:13 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2019, 09:05 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]

I would too, but Veni Sancte Spiritus would still be a distraction if I was trying to pray or meditate. 

If you think about the way the rosary's structured, it's a overlapping of things. We're praying the words of various prayers while at the same time meditating on the mysteries. Same thing goes on in many parts of the Mass. So I think it's fine--even good--to let sacred things (words and thoughts) overlap. Sometimes that's how God sends us His grace.
(06-27-2019, 08:54 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I usually avoid it.

Generally, I only try to avoid rock music and heavy metal. I welcome traditional music.
(06-27-2019, 12:42 PM)piscis Wrote: [ -> ]Lol I don't what I'd do if I had that song stuck in my head during prayer. LOL

I’m not kidding, the song is still in my head a lot of the time, even as I type this.
And I have myself to blame. Despite complaining about having the song in my head, I have still listened to it, just because I find it catchy.
Why does a mind do this??  
Why does it want me to continue listening to a song interiorly??
Pages: 1 2