FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Needing advice on keeping body temp. low while serving at Mass.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
By God’s Grace, I serve at the local Latin Mass.
It’s an incredible blessing.

I do, however, need some advice on a practical matter (and I hope this isn’t an inappropriate topic to discuss). I sweat rather badly, often to the point that I need to bring a change of clothes afterwards.

Any tips on this?

If it’s not irreverent or wrong to literally strap an ice pack to myself I’d honestly consider it.
(07-21-2019, 10:47 AM)IFultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]By God’s Grace, I serve at the local Latin Mass.

I do, however, need some advice on a practical matter (and I hope this isn’t an inappropriate topic to discuss). I sweat rather badly, often to the point that I need to bring a change of clothes afterwards.

Any tips on this?

If it’s not irreverent or wrong to literally strap an ice pack to myself I’d honestly consider it.

Is it anything to do with being stressed? I ask this as when I was learning the same thing happened to me some years ago, I got really stressed and therefore more hot because I found it really hard to concentrate and worried about what happens next and would I get things wrong. The more I researched and learnt off by heart the things I had to do the more I got used to it, and the more relaxed I became the cooler I felt.

If this isn’t the case then perhaps wear less clothes ie just a t shirt and thin cloth trousers.
(07-21-2019, 11:04 AM)EYes MyLady Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2019, 10:47 AM)IFultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]By God’s Grace, I serve at the local Latin Mass.

Any tips on this?

Is it anything to do with being stressed? I ask this as when I was learning the same thing happened to me some years ago, I got really stressed and therefore more hot because I found it really hard to concentrate and worried about what happens next and would I get things wrong. The more I researched and learnt off by heart the things I had to do the more I got used to it, and the more relaxed I became the cooler I felt.

If this isn’t the case then perhaps wear less clothes ie just a t shirt and thin cloth trousers.

Thanks for the response.
The sweating is almost definitely just due to the clothing, and the heat.
I’m familiar with the old “stress sweat” — that’s different altogether.
A friend's dad, an American, did business in Panama before the days of air conditioning.  He wore a suit and tie every day, and he said the "trick" was to stay thin. Otherwise, you turn into a sweaty mess. So there's that.

Additionally, I'd suggest going to a dermatologist and asking for prescription antiperspirant for use other than just on your underarms. It can be used on the chest, feet, groin, etc. This is just a problem that some people have.

Of course, for most of history, people who sweat excessively just sweated excessively. It's embarrassing, but there are more embarrassing things. It's not an uncommon problem. Honestly, if I were in that position I'd just sweat it out until someone suggested it was so bad that something needed to be done, but I am less conscientious than most.
(07-21-2019, 10:47 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]By God’s Grace, I serve at the local Latin Mass.

Any tips on this?

Just wear a t-shirt and shorts with pockets under your cassock, and stuff ice packs in the pockets.  Also, keep a damp washcloth or paper towel nearby to wipe down during Mass.  If it's so bad that you sometimes have to change clothes after Mass, ask the priest to crank up the air conditioner a little more during Mass.
(07-21-2019, 10:47 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]By God’s Grace, I serve at the local Latin Mass.

Any tips on this?

I'm familiar with your situation, trust me. 

To be honest I don't know if there's anything you could do besides carrying a handkerchief in your pocket in order to wipe the sweat out, at least this is what the majority of the priests do where I attend Mass, specially when Summer temperatures outside reach 32°C or 90°F. Not to count the temperature inside a chapel packed with 100+ faithful. :s
Is it particularly humid where you live?  If not, try a damp cloth around your neck, under everything.  The moisture with cool your body and help somewhat.  You might also try a talcum powder of some kind (there are medicated varieties that absorb odor and moisture).

I was a professional clown when I was younger (never at Mass though).  I would be working outside in summer heat in Florida.  I always wore a satin clown outfit, full wig, you name it.  So, I would leave my hair wet under the wig and wrap a wet cloth around my neck to help stay cool.  It helped - a lot.
Coming at this from a different angle: if it is hot enough to affect you as such, it likely affects the priest and any other servers similarly.  Could they perhaps add a floor fan that will blow gently across the sanctuary?  That's what we do at my parishes, and it works wonderfully.

Another thought could be to discreetly excuse yourself during the sermon to find a place to cool down, get a drink of cold water, etc.

Putting those suggestion aside, the best I have found to do is simply to wear all black -- that way, no matter how much you sweat, no one will be able to tell.  And as a bonus, you also then do not have to worry about a coloured shirt collar showing from underneath your cassock.
"I was a professional clown when I was younger (never at Mass though)."   :LOL:   

I have a cousin who's a clown.  I know...so does everyone.  Actually, he had a dog act with Ringling Bros. for a time.
If you really want to proactively do something about it, take a little look at lists of warming and cooling foods. I think this is from Chinese medicine. It has worked for me with putting up with summer heat waves, which I used to have less tolerance for. When I avoid warming foods (I always have to check the list because they are not what you think), it goes much better. I learned about this through a helpful book I have consulted often on a variety of food-as-medicine issues, Annemarie Colbin's Food and Healing.
[Image: 51s%2BslZRVKL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg] 

I recommend this book, but for now you can find lists of warming/cooling/neutral food all over the internet. Here is one link with the lists: https://www.pingminghealth.com/article/5...mon-foods/

I suggest when you first try this as a method to bear Mass serving in the heat, eat only the cooling foods the night before you serve, and if you eat anything that day, also of course only cooling, and sip some peppermint tea that day or the night before.  There are neutral foods, too, but I would stick with just cooling foods at first, in order to go all out in trying to keep reduce discomfort of summer heat in robes. 

So from the list, an example would be Saturday night supper of omelet with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, cream and salt or soy sauce but not pepper and not onion and not garlic for dinner the night before, and the rest of that pre-Mass time strawberries, pineapple or apples but not peaches, not raspberries. And drink peppermint tea but no coffee.  (You could also go all out and even eat cooling foods only for the entire day before).

The other thing is try Linen clothing! It really is cool. My husband was disinterested in this idea but I wanted him to try it so bought him a Linen shirt on sale two years ago and he loved it. He is always looking for this ona hot day. So the next summer I bought him another, plus shorts, and he loves them. Linen clothing is more expensive but so worth it. I try to buy him one item a year now (and me too) and I buy them this time of year at Macy's online, because you will find something linen on sale this time of year. Linen clothes are expensive, so the sale helps a lot. They are worth it! One shirt and one shorts would do it. Wear them on Sundays. Just google Macy's and "Men's linen shirts" or shorts. Make sure you only buy 100% linen. 

Expect to sweat if you are a sweaty person, but I expect with these two interventions you will sweat less and feel better about it. Also be sure to offer up the misery of being hot and sweaty! Have a spirit of acceptance about it, after you have done what you can to minimize it. Accepting instead of inwardly fighting it will probably keep you cooler, too.

At our Latin Mass, the basilica is not air conditioned, and they leave the lovely high stained glass windows opened throughout heat waves, so it's hot. But they almost always have have fans up front facing the mass servers. Sometimes for the people. But I never resent it when they don't for us because it's the men in robes who need the extra help!
Pages: 1 2