FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Being attacked for my faith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I just had a huge fight with my parents over me wanting to become Catholic. I was not the one to bring it up, I never like to . I realized how awful they feel about what I believe and it broke my heart. I never wanted to hurt them or make them feel like I don’t respect them. I hear them say over and over again, what I believe is wrong. My mother told me that Roman Catholics think Anglicans are evil, which I know is not true. Should I just keep my mouth shut when my family does attack me? I don’t know how to respectfully help them understand the Catholic faith and how I feel. I am 16 and still living at home. Please pray for my parents, advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm sorry for your difficult situation. :( Good for you for keeping steadfast in your desire to come home to the Catholic Church!  If you don't mind saying, how old are you, and are you living at home still?  Those are important details to help us know what advice to offer.
Anglicans are not evil. 

The religion they practice is wrong because it is not the Christian religion revealed by Our Lord.

Roman Catholicism is one church within the whole Catholic Church. That Catholic Church is the Church founded by Christ. Henry VIII, because he wanted to commit adultery and have the Church sanction this, split off the Anglican Church as his political tool. The Catholic Church is founded upon Christ. The Anglicans upon a King's desire to commit grave sin.

History shows this very clearly.

God bless your desire to become a Catholic. You should do this, and while I appreciate your desire not to offend or upset your parents, the real question concerns your own good and salvation. You owe no obedience to them if they are asking you to so something sinful or wrong.

That said, to the extent you need to depend on them for your basic needs, you will have to make something work. 

I understand they think you are wrong, but would they disown you or kick you out of the house if you decide to convert now? If you went to Mass would things go badly for you?

Even if it causes strife at home, if your basic needs can be had, and you can get by until you're old enough to move out on your own, then you could consider converting now, though a course with a traditional Catholic priest (the better method) is probably going to take you about a year.

If your welfare is put in jeopardy should you insist, or that your parents will make your life very hard, then the more prudent thing to do is continue to try to learn the Catholic Faith (perhaps by some private contacts with a priest), and then when you can take care of your own needs, commit to conversion. If you have prepared yourself well, a traditional Catholic priest will probably be able to get your entry into the Church arranged very soon and you avoid the problems of the RCIA programs.

If you are worried, though, consider the example of St Christina. She was born to a pagan family, and her father wanted her to become a pagan priestess. She however, was brought a revelation of the Faith by an angel, and was moved to smash the idols around her and disobey her father to keep the Faith. She died a martyr for the Faith as a result, but saved her soul and became a great Saint as a result. Pray to St Christina to help you and give you the graces you need to do what is right.

If you want to speak with a traditional Catholic priest, send me a PM and I can give your e-mail to a friend of mine who is a priest and perhaps he can help get your sorted.
I am old enough to be your grandmother.  I have never, ever, heard a Catholic say bad things about Anglicans.  Ever.  I agree that it was founded "in error", but that doesn't make your parents bad people.
As another has said, stick with it, be polite and respectful to your parents.  If you have to wait until you go off to college or move out of the house to officially convert, then that is what you have to do.  Do not give up, you are on the right path.
We will all pray for you.
I am a former Anglican. My family has been Anglican since the reign of Elizabeth I. I've been a Catholic for almost 40 years. In all that time, I've never heard a Catholic say that Anglicans are evil. 
I've never really heard of Catholics thinking Anglicans are evil.  There may be reasons that are more cultural than religious that would motivate their thinking.  Historically, in Ireland, Catholics and their version of Anglicans struggled against each other.  The names of the two factions were religious names, but the fighting was really more over political reasons than religious ones.

Whenever I hear of a person of German heritage being Lutheran, it doesn't make me sad or anything, other than knowing they're missing the true Faith.  It is sad to me, however, hearing about people who's national or ethnic heritage is so profoundly Catholic (particularly Hispanics, Filipinos, Irish, Italians, and Poles) who somehow are not Catholic or at least do not practice the Faith.
(07-30-2019, 09:47 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]Anglicans are not evil. 

The religion they practice is wrong because it is not the Christian religion revealed by Our Lord.

Roman Catholicism is one church within the whole Catholic Church. That Catholic Church is the Church founded by Christ. Henry VIII, because he wanted to commit adultery and have the Church sanction this, split off the Anglican Church as his political tool. The Catholic Church is founded upon Christ. The Anglicans upon a King's desire to commit grave sin.

History shows this very clearly.

God bless your desire to become a Catholic. You should do this, and while I appreciate your desire not to offend or upset your parents, the real question concerns your own good and salvation. You owe no obedience to them if they are asking you to so something sinful or wrong.

That said, to the extent you need to depend on them for your basic needs, you will have to make something work. 

I understand they think you are wrong, but would they disown you or kick you out of the house if you decide to convert now? If you went to Mass would things go badly for you?

Even if it causes strife at home, if your basic needs can be had, and you can get by until you're old enough to move out on your own, then you could consider converting now, though a course with a traditional Catholic priest (the better method) is probably going to take you about a year.

If your welfare is put in jeopardy should you insist, or that your parents will make your life very hard, then the more prudent thing to do is continue to try to learn the Catholic Faith (perhaps by some private contacts with a priest), and then when you can take care of your own needs, commit to conversion. If you have prepared yourself well, a traditional Catholic priest will probably be able to get your entry into the Church arranged very soon and you avoid the problems of the RCIA programs.

If you are worried, though, consider the example of St Christina. She was born to a pagan family, and her father wanted her to become a pagan priestess. She however, was brought a revelation of the Faith by an angel, and was moved to smash the idols around her and disobey her father to keep the Faith. She died a martyr for the Faith as a result, but saved her soul and became a great Saint as a result. Pray to St Christina to help you and give you the graces you need to do what is right.

If you want to speak with a traditional Catholic priest, send me a PM and I can give your e-mail to a friend of mine who is a priest and perhaps he can help get your sorted.

I believe speaking to a traditional priest is a really good move here. Take MagisterMusicae's offer or visit a local traditional parish for advice
"Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you." - Matthew 5:11-12
I think you've received an incredible grace to have been able come to the understanding of the Catholic faith at such a young age; outside of the Faith no less (being your family is non-Catholic) and in this day in age. Pray the rosary every day. Entrust yourself to Mary, the Mother of God. Hold tight to this Catholic faith. This faith you've found--and that you were able to find it in this day and age--is precious and rare. Not very many do. I am so happy for you!