FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can I get baptised and fully initiated at an SSPX chapel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am considering attending a SSPX mass very soon. I am not a Christian. I would like to become a Catholic. 

The SSPX chapel is tiny and presumably has a similarly small congregation. I fear that, as an uninitiated who has little idea what he's doing, I will distract and possibly disrupt or disturb the regulars. For example, if I fail to stand or kneel at the right points, or if I remain seated while all partake in the eucharist, will they find it odd?

Also, as a very small chapel, would I be able to be baptised and become fully initiated in the Church there? 

When is the most appropriate time to mention that I would like to become a Catholic? Will the priest be happy to speak with me after the mass?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best Wishes
(08-01-2019, 04:07 PM)crosslaa01 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

I am considering attending a SSPX mass very soon. I am not a Christian. I would like to become a Catholic. 

The SSPX chapel is tiny and presumably has a similarly small congregation. I fear that, as an uninitiated who has little idea what he's doing, I will distract and possibly disrupt or disturb the regulars. For example, if I fail to stand or kneel at the right points, or if I remain seated while all partake in the eucharist, will they find it odd?

Also, as a very small chapel, would I be able to be baptised and become fully initiated in the Church there? 

When is the most appropriate time to mention that I would like to become a Catholic? Will the priest be happy to speak with me after the mass?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best Wishes

Yes, I'm sure the SSPX priest who takes care of the chapel would be happy to see to your instruction in the Catholic Faith and your Baptism and First Communion. Confirmation could be arranged afterward.

The SSPX generally (except in large parishes where there are several converts), does individual instruction, and usually by the priest himself. If it is a mission chapel and the priest is not there every week, he might assign you a competent person to work with when he's not there.

To that end, you might pick up This is the Faith by Canon Ripley. That's the books I know several SSPX priests use to teach convert classes.

Do speak to Father after Mass. Don't be suprised, though, if a Legion of Mary member notices a new face and offers to help you. Feel free to ask people to help direct you to Father, and tell them you're interested in becoming a Catholic. You could even call the priest beforehand and arrange a time to meet.

As regards standing and kneeling and following, just follow everyone else, or find a cheerful face before Mass and ask them if they'd help you as you're not a Catholic, but want to become one and want to follow the Mass and need some help.

I think you'll find a very warm welcome and generous souls ready to help you.

I know several SSPX priests. One of my good friends who is an SSPX priest was a classmate to several of the American priests who are stationed in the UK, so if you PM me with the chapel where you are looking to go, I can see if I can track down the priests' name and put you in contact with him.
New people are not a distraction.  If you are worried about following along, sit towards the side or the back until you get the hang of things.  Most Catholics are used to non-Catholics attending Mass.
The regular parishioners there most likely will be more than willing to help you out if you are lost during the mass. SSPX goers tend to be really enthusiastic about new people embracing the traditional Mass.

The way I learned the Mass was just to do what everyone else did, you'll catch on really quick.