FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Needing quick answer: Can men go swimming topless?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
thanks in advance
Yes, of course.
Topless yes, bottomless no
Depends on the circumstances.

Is doing so an occasion of sin for anyone? That's the real question.

I'd say outside of family, people shouldn't be swimming in mixed company. Sure men are more tempted when seeing a woman in a bathing suit, but it's not as if there's never any temptation the other way, and certainly in today's over-sexualized world, there is still that risk.

In male company only, I don't think it would be much of an issue.

The sin is not swimming. The sin might come in causing scandal. Thus that's the question, and it's one of circumstances and context.

Don't be legalistic.
On a private beach with your family, I would think so.  In the sole company of other men, I would think so.  St. Peter was naked in front of the other disciples in the fishing boat at the end of the Gospel of the Apostle St. John.

In public and mixed company?  I would say not.
(08-04-2019, 10:44 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]thanks in advance

Won't do anything for me.
Fear of nudity is a result of Victorian era Protestantism. I wouldn't worry about it.
Men used to swim both topless and bottomless with each other.  Single-sex public pools used to require nude swimming.  Nudity itself is not a sin, but as others have stated, the question is whether your nudity may cause someone else to sin.
(08-04-2019, 03:19 PM)LionHippo Wrote: [ -> ]Topless yes, bottomless no

Oh great, ruined my day now lol :P

OP:

Personally I'll opt for a swim shirt if I can (You didn't say anything about pants :O lol jk), also means less sunscreen, quicker, easier and less area to burn. Better safe then sorry. I think deep down people know when they are being modest or not, modesty is highly subjective, as long as one makes an intention to be reasonably modest I think they'll be fine.

God Bless
(08-04-2019, 04:18 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]In male company only, I don't think it would be much of an issue.

Not in this age of sexual confusion/perversity lol.

God Bless
Pages: 1 2