FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confusion, Catholicism, and my reconversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(10-11-2019, 03:22 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2019, 08:44 PM)piscis Wrote: [ -> ]It's true that truth is truth, yet we aren't calculators. It's not as simple as input-output. Prudence is the virtue that considers and chooses the best means to the proper end. Zeal that isn't directed by prudence is a vice, specifically false zeal. Out of love for the truth, we may nevertheless scorn our neighbor, yet the Truth demands that we love our neighbor, and the truth is for the sake of our salvation as well as our neighbor's. A false zeal can be terribly damaging and dangerous, depending on its extent.
My reconversion was heavily influenced by an exchange with a Jesuit who is most decidedly not a traditionalist and some may even consider a heretic. He would occasionally visit my parish growing up, and he espoused the typical modernist Jesuit views (Satan doesn't exist, the miracle of the loaves and fishes was not an actual miracle but merely people sharing, etc.). Still, as a kid, there was something about him that I really liked and I was always happy to attend his masses. With his long white hair and beard, thick Australian brogue, and avuncular professor demeanor, he was like Gandalf or some other wise wizard.

During my period of apostasy, I contacted him just to see how he was doing and to thank him for being such an influential person in my life. I mentioned that I had left the Church and he replied with words of encouragement something along these lines: "Remember that God loves you, that he became a very ordinary one of us out of the sheerest esteem for mankind, and that the Eucharist is nourishment enough and mystery enough." Those words pierced my heart and stuck with me. I would often reflect on them, and then, some years later, I finally came back to the Church because of the love for the Incarnation and the Eucharist that these words helped to inspire within me.

Of course, now that I've reconverted and have a deeper and more mature understanding of the faith than I did as a kid, I would adamantly disagree with this priest on many of his views. In fact, I do disagree with him, yet I do not speak ill of him. I owe him a debt of gratitude. He may be wrong in his theology, even heretically so, but he helped me, nonetheless. He didn't have to. If he were so heretical and bad, he could have simply told me that I was as good outside the Church as in it. But he didn't. He gave me words of encouragement that, though they may have been tinged with his wayward theology (notably calling Jesus "very ordinary" which could be a shot at his divinity a la Pope Francis), nevertheless helped to rekindle my love and awe for Christ.

I sincerely thank this Jesuit. I don't know if he is still alive but I hope he's doing well and I pray for him, not out of a sense of smug self-righteousness because his theology is flawed, but out of humility and gratitude for the charity he showed me when he didn't have to. It just goes to show that God's love can work through people and circumstances in which it seems He may not be wholly present or not there at all. It gives me hope and and fills with me with gratitude in these dark, confusing times.

(Edit: formatting)

What you are describing is the purpose of Jesuits and what they do best: convert nonbelievers by simplifying, softening, and whispering sweet nothings. They were always built to function in nonChristian, multicultural contexts. They used to use these ideas as tactics for conversation and insertion into places of power. The problem is that they stopped being ultra conservative ultra montanists and got high on their own supply. Now they believe the BS they peddle rather than using it as a means to an end.
Have you even read anything by the old school Jesuits?
Pages: 1 2