FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Thomas Weinandy on "Pope Francis and Schism"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(10-12-2019, 12:02 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2019, 11:44 AM)Florus Wrote: [ -> ]I've started to dislike the analogy of a schismatic church ("Conciliar Church, "Synodal Church") inside the true Church and acting like we're some pure remnant of orthodoxy. Hate to break it to you, but we (at least most of us) are in communion with these bishops, we are all in the same screwed up boat. Being in the Catholic Church has always been very messy and unpleasant.

The more that I have studied Church history, the more that I've concluded that the present-day crisis is hardly unprecedented.  I've noticed a tendency among some traditionalists to see a sort of golden age before Vatican II, but that isn't the case.  We can look to the New Testament to see problems in Church history, such as St. Peter bowing to the pressure of the Judaizers and breaking table fellowship with Gentiles.  This action led St. Paul to rebuke the first pope.  The mistakes, errors, and failures of the popes that would follow could probably fill up several books.  Ultramontanism has morphed from a legitimate reaction to the Gallicans into a papolatry that has the Faith's foundation crumble if a pope is lousy.  I will not allow my faith to be destroyed by the actions of Pope Francis or by my inability to come up with an adequate resolution to how this all happened in the first place.

Good stuff. I'd rather be in communion with the Church with all her madness and problems than in communion with the perfect pet theory of myself or a few others.
(10-12-2019, 11:42 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]There's two elements to the Church: the human and the divine. One's perfect, the other isn't. God has graced us with beautiful examples of the Faith through the lives of countless saints and miracles. Look to those for your examples. The bible is the inerrant word of God. It's completely 100% reliable. All of it.

I appreciate your words today.  This morning I wrote a lot of things out of frustration and bitterness, which is a frequent battle for me.  I went back and edited some of my postings because they were disrespectful to our Lord.  Thanks and God Bless.
(10-12-2019, 11:39 AM)1Faith Wrote: [ -> ]I cant make sense of the Conciliar Popes. I dont know how to square it with Papl Infallibility. They've obviously taught error, and I don't understand how this all works out.

But they have never attempted to teach error as the Vicar of Christ in the terms laid down by Pastor æternus. They have taught error as Private Doctors. Popes before them have done the same thing. Check out John XXII.

Francis's heresy on the death penalty is no more a Papal teaching than if he changed the catechism to declare that the moon is made of green cheese. It is his personal opinion, the opinion of a sinfully proud and stupid man, in no way involving Papal Infallibility.
Pages: 1 2 3