FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hypothetically, would ordination of women mean the gates of hell had prevailed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(10-15-2019, 12:07 AM)1Faith Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:progressive Catholic
Correction; apostate Catholic. Catholic by virtue of their baptism/confirmation, but without the Catholic faith. Theres no such thing as a progressive Catholic, or a conservative, or a traditionalist. There are only Orthodox Catholics and heretics.

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

[Image: Fr-Martin-intro-Metallica.jpg]
(10-15-2019, 12:13 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]
Correction; apostate Catholic. Catholic by virtue of their baptism/confirmation, but without the Catholic faith. Theres no such thing as a progressive Catholic, or a conservative, or a traditionalist. There are only Orthodox Catholics and heretics.

That's one of those heretics.
(10-15-2019, 01:34 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2019, 12:13 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]

That's one of those heretics.

Get it off! get it off! lol

... It's laugh or cry. God Bless.
(10-15-2019, 12:07 AM)1Faith Wrote: [ -> ]Correction; apostate Catholic. Catholic by virtue of their baptism/confirmation, but without the Catholic faith. Theres no such thing as a progressive Catholic, or a conservative, or a traditionalist. There are only Orthodox Catholics and heretics.

I see this said a lot, but I'm not so sure it's true. Yes, when it comes to the faith, there's only orthodoxy and heresy, but the faith doesn't just involve things like transubstantiation and whether we're saved by faith or works (correct answer: neither). It's also about morality, and the application of those moral principles to real world situations.

'Progressive' (even though the goal they're 'progressing' towards isn't a good one) or 'conservative' might be political terms, but politics is often where morality gets applied, and there isn't always one Catholic opinion on things. A Catholic can support the state paying for health care, or can believe giving the government control over health care is inefficient and dangerous (ask Charlie Gard's parents). A Catholic can believe a nation can support more immigration, and has the resources for it and therefore should do so out of charity for others, or that charity to the current inhabitants has to come first. A Catholic who holds the 'liberal' positions on these matters is not a heretic, but could be called a liberal Catholic. Or a Catholic who wants more democracy in the Church is also not a heretic - if the Pope wants to have bishops' councils and to give lay people a vote on things, it might be a bad idea, but asking for such things is not heresy.
(10-13-2019, 05:32 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2019, 04:51 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Remember how "same sex unions" were supposed to be the compromise so that there wouldn't be "gay marriage"?  Those same people who said it was a slippery slope fallacy to say one would lead to the other are now cheering state-enforced genital mutilation and puberty blockers for children.

And how we were assured that churches would never be forced to perform pervert 'marriages'? Now, Beto O'Rourke is campaigning on stripping churches of their tax exemption if they refuse to bend the knee to perversion.
That would be just fine.  I'm tired of bishops and priests restraining their speech to keep their non-profit status or the government gibs coming.
(10-13-2019, 12:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'm not scandalized by Orthodoxy because I chose to become an Old Ritualist. If I lived in Erie I'd attend that Church exclusively and not even go to other Orthodox churches that weren't old rite, doing the home alone thing that I did for the last year or so of my Catholic days when not around an Old Rite Church.  I guess I have the eccentric and hardcore spirit of the Old Believers and probably always have, even when in Rome.
Not to go off on a tangent, but you mentioned "Old Believers".  I grew up around Old Believers in Woodburn, OR and was wondering if they're the same. I'm trying to relate to what you're talking about and want to get the right picture in my head. 

The Old Believers I grew up near spoke a dialect of Russian, wore quite attractive, embroidered flower trimmed tunics and dresses, and were very polite but distant.  They seemed very devout, but I never got any details.  Sound about the same?
No, it would simply mean that the Novus Ordo Church is no longer Catholic in any sense.

We have the SSPX and SSPV per serving the Faith
(10-17-2019, 01:23 PM)jack89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2019, 12:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'm not scandalized by Orthodoxy because I chose to become an Old Ritualist. If I lived in Erie I'd attend that Church exclusively and not even go to other Orthodox churches that weren't old rite, doing the home alone thing that I did for the last year or so of my Catholic days when not around an Old Rite Church.  I guess I have the eccentric and hardcore spirit of the Old Believers and probably always have, even when in Rome.
Not to go off on a tangent, but you mentioned "Old Believers".  I grew up around Old Believers in Woodburn, OR and was wondering if they're the same. I'm trying to relate to what you're talking about and want to get the right picture in my head. 

The Old Believers I grew up near spoke a dialect of Russian, wore quite attractive, embroidered flower trimmed tunics and dresses, and were very polite but distant.  They seemed very devout, but I never got any details.  Sound about the same?
That's the same, although the ones affiliated with ROCOR in Erie are not rural and they use primarily a hieratic English since most the parish no longer speak Russian or Old Church Slavonic. The strictness is more within the Church,as in the Erie parish men and women stand in separate sections, women are required to cover their heads and everyone stands still and makes the sign of the cross and does prostrations at the same time, the latter being done using a small cloth called a "podruchnik" to keep one's hands clean.  No one communes who did not keep the fast,confessed and attended the long saturday vigil.  1st-9th Hour is prayed in common before the liturgy and without vigil and hours no liturgy is served.  I imagine the Woodburn group is probably more insular and hardcore since they are rural,priestless and probably don't see many converts. 

If I recall correctly the Woodburn Old Believers are still of the Priestless variety and very otherworldly and strict.  Interesting that you grew up near them.  I think they still exclusively use Old Church Slavonic. Interesting nonetheless.
(10-17-2019, 11:09 AM)MiserereMeiDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2019, 05:32 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Beto O'Rourke is campaigning on stripping churches of their tax exemption if they refuse to bend the knee to perversion.
That would be just fine.  I'm tired of bishops and priests restraining their speech to keep their non-profit status or the government gibs coming.

If you think it will stop with loss of our tax exemption if they can get away with that, I have a really nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to talk to you about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4