FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Question for the Informed Fishies Hereabouts...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think it is true, but I am going to make a point about this, so I thought some of you informed fishies would have the answer for me, even some citation.

Does the Consecrated Host, when being distributed to the faithful at Communion, must only be handled by the right hand?

Thanks in advance. It urks me to see so much disregard of EMHCs in the handling of The Host and this one makes me cringe every time. I'd like to know if it is well founded cringing, beyond the fact it is not at least a Deacon.
*sucks teeth*
*shrugs*
I dunno, man.

Hope this was helpful.
(10-14-2019, 12:24 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]*sucks teeth*
*shrugs*
I dunno, man.

Hope this was helpful.

I hope those teeth were your own.

I also have nothing to add, I’m sorry.

However, I would be surprised if there was a Canon regarding the hand that needs to be used.

It would be a pleasant surprise, of course.

Edit. The last two sentences were added, and something else erased.
What would be the basis or reference for using only the right hand?
Unfortunately, there are no rubrical norms whatsoever in the Novus Ordo requiring the use of the right hand in handling or distributing Holy Communion, which include the GIRM or the Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion Under Both Kinds for the Dioceses of the United States of America, which are the current binding legislation. As far as I know... I just did a quick double check.

There are references to the priest's (and concelebrants' if any) use of the right hand at certain points, specifically during the Consecration by the concelebrants or during the reception of Communion by concelebrants, who are instructed to take the sacred species in their right hand and the left hand held underneath; and lastly, during the final blessing, the priest is instructed to use his right hand in making the sign of the Cross while his left is on his breast. But the legislation is completely silent in how even the priest is supposed to handle the sacred species.

In the ideal world, perhaps, the GIRM and other norms assume continuity with previous liturgical practice, where the use of the right and left hand is specifically defined by the Latin Mass rubrics. This means the use of which hand is presupposed in the current legislation (or, based on your theological inclinations, the use of which hand is completely done away with and up to the whims of anyone). There is a serious and ongoing argument about how to interpret the legislation, whether in continuity or rupture. Several seminary professors and rectors throughout the US that I know of, who have their advanced degrees in liturgical studies, insist that by removing any mention of something that was required in the previous rubrics, this meant the issue no longer matters in the current rubrics.

In the traditional Roman Rite, the priest distributes Holy Communion with his right hand. The symbolism of the right hand is tied up with the right hand of the Father, and this symbolism shows up throughout the Mass, such as during the reading of the Gospel. That's also tied up with other symbolism, such as the meaning of liturgical east and north, etc. So the use of the right hand is not arbitrary for Roman Catholics. The Novus Ordo has almost completely stripped that symbolism away.

The current norms only emphasize that the Blessed Sacrament must be handled with the greatest reverence, especially if Extraordinary Ministers are involved. They are supposed to "receive sufficient spiritual, theological, and practical preparation to fulfill their role with knowledge and reverence." Of course, previously the priest had to link his thumb and forefinger after handling the Blessed Sacrament in case particles would fall off unknowingly. Then he had to rinse his fingers during the purification of the sacred vessels before he could release them again. The current rubrics make no mention of any of this, so no priest, except one mindful of the tradition and true care in handling the Sacrament, does it anymore. And of course, what are the EMHCs supposed to do after having handled the Host or Chalice in thousands of different ways?

Yes, lots of cringe. So good luck with that!
Thanks, Piscis :tiphat:

I was thinking about the 'left hand path' et al and how virtually all the old Catholic art with someone presenting a Host, holds it in the right hand. Being a very preVat II kinda guy, having been an Altar Boy in the Latin rite, I never recalled, even left handed priests, presenting the Host with the left hand, only the right. So it is something that has stuck with me and I don't recall seeing any priests, even to this day, who present the host or distribute with the left hand, so I thought I'd ask and I am thankful for your insight.