FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Concerns about Catholicism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Augustinian wrote: (paraphrasing as my tablet ate up the quote) So all I had to lean on for any sort of Catholic social networking are places like this forum. Otherwise'...I've been reading and searching on my own Wrote:And this goes back to the OP as well as Imperator and Whitewashed below but before me. As a solo pilgrim also seeking FE as a navigational tool, I too am in the same boat. My wife and sons are not Catholic. My family of origin is nearly all dead, and all but a couple of my current circle of family and friends are, to put it bluntly, not favourably disposed towards Christianity let alone Catholicism. I'm from a 90%+ blue state enclave where as Reverend Eli of the show The Righteous Gemstones recently averred (almost) correctly: 'Everyone in California hates Christians!' As a revert, I keep a low profile revealing my predilection on a need-to-know basis, given my precarious line of employment, and struggle with my own doubts, deeply rooted in my coming of age in the post-conciliar era as its first generation post-TLM.

I recognize the over-intellectualism appealing to many trads. I share it. I suspect emotion and have not had faith--if as defined by many here-- since young adulthood. So in stumbling back, all I've had for networking is this forum. Otherwise it's a lot of reading and praying on my own at home. I find it difficult to let go of my inherent skepticism that this justification of theological conformity and congregational codification is all wishful thinking as a system of evading the common end of our mortal annihilation, and that I'm a dilettante in this society of either sneerers or seekers, where far fewer of us have been raised in stable families or solid traditional structures. I have been learning about the intricacies of the traditional vs conservative factions, catching up on what's transpired in liturgy and ritual beyond the OF status quo.  

Luckily I've reconnected with a friend now at a booming FSSP parish (if 125 miles one-way from me) through whom I learned of the TLM...I had no idea if was approved a dozen years ago more widely (if, as in my immense archdiocese, largely in theory). So I have his guidance. Otherwise, I've been reading, praying, and studying. Lacking a real life intimacy with traditional community or practice (beyond the High or Low Masses I have sought out weekly) otherwise, we outliers ask for your direction and hard-earned advice.

P.S. I notice many FE threads stem from if not half than often well over a decade ago, and many archived posting members seem to have faded. This makes me ask if there's a high rate of burnout or attrition among trads? Although I don't think it's due to recidivism, given the drift from the 'hermeneutic of continuity' this decade...
(10-17-2019, 12:00 AM)Fionnchu Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. I notice many FE threads stem from if not half than often well over a decade ago, and many archived posting members seem to have faded. This makes me ask if there's a high rate of burnout or attrition among trads? Although I don't think it's due to recidivism, given the drift from the 'hermeneutic of continuity' this decade...

The available data that I have seen on trads would not suggest this, no.  If anything, I believe the rate of retention is quite high.  The rate of burnout for online trads could be a different story, but they wouldn't be counted in any data related to parishes.  I expect people leave this forum because they graduate to practicing traditionalism in real life and find less and less use for this place.  And if they never do graduate, then I think that's when burnout would set in.  I don't think most people haunt the same forums and boards for extended periods anyway.  Maybe a few years, give or take.  That's not really a sign of religious fervor one way or the other.  

At the end of the day, if you're not making a life out of the faith, then what are you doing with it?  One could spin their wheels about the crisis in the Church and which flavor of traditionalism is "correct" and what is the outcome?  I can't imagine someone could do this too long without reaching the conclusion that it is hopeless and maybe Catholicism wasn't actually true anyway, etc.  Like the final rebuttal to The Grand Inquisitor story in The Brothers Karamazov, the response to cynicism and uncertainty is whatever the lived experience is that results from practicing what you believe.
(10-16-2019, 05:38 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]The most church I had was as a Methodist for about 3 years as a kid, otherwise I avoided Christianity like the plague until around 2017. As of right now, I have no friends who are Catholics, my wife is non-religious, my sister, my parents are all irreligious. I'm basically alone in this. My godfather moved to England right after I was baptized/confirmed. So all I've had to lean on for any sort of Catholic social networking are places like this forum. Otherwise it's a lot of reading and praying on my own at home.

https://instituteofcatholicculture.org/

There's a lot of resources there you might find useful.  They have online, real-time Bible studies and, I think, you can even watch live and sometimes interact with the group when they have events. Might be a good way to meet other Catholics.
Augustinian, what area of the country do you live in?  Or to avoid the dangling preposition, in which area of the country do you live?
(10-17-2019, 11:01 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Augustinian, what area of the country do you live in?  Or to avoid the dangling preposition, in which area of the country do you live?

Wisconsin, rural Madison area. Attend St Therese SSPX in Waunakee.
Quote:Wisconsin, rural Madison area.
If you still have any concerns about the SSPX, the Institute of Christ the King actually has three different oratories in Wisconsin. Everything you love about the SSPX you will find there as well, with one key difference; the Institute insists on only making use of very ornate, beautiful churches! Obviously I support both organizations, just thought I'd throw that out there.
I personally have been having a lot of panic due to the synod. Currently listening to Fr Wolfe's series on Our Lady of Revelation and it's made me feel a bit better. It's definitely a messy situation, but if the Catholic Church is not the One True Church, I would still deeply struggle to believe that the EO are correct. I think if any type of EO understanding of ecclesiology is correct then as far as I'm concerned one can stick to Catholicism, EO, or even OO. But that's just silly. I believe Catholicism is correct. And I believe we are going through dark times. They might get darker still. But I know what my life was like back when I rejected Christ and I ain't going back.
(10-17-2019, 01:36 PM)Some Guy Wrote: [ -> ]I think if any type of EO understanding of ecclesiology is correct then as far as I'm concerned one can stick to Catholicism, EO, or even OO. 

That's always been a big retainer for me.  If you boil off all the fluff, the Catholic Church teaches if you're not Catholic when you die, you're going to hell.  The Orthodox churches teach that if you're not Orthodox when you die, you still have a shot.
(10-17-2019, 01:36 PM)Some Guy Wrote: [ -> ]I personally have been having a lot of panic due to the synod. Currently listening to Fr Wolfe's series on Our Lady of Revelation and it's made me feel a bit better. It's definitely a messy situation, but if the Catholic Church is not the One True Church, I would still deeply struggle to believe that the EO are correct. I think if any type of EO understanding of ecclesiology is correct then as far as I'm concerned one can stick to Catholicism, EO, or even OO. But that's just silly. I believe Catholicism is correct. And I believe we are going through dark times. They might get darker still. But I know what my life was like back when I rejected Christ and I ain't going back.

To be honest, I have respect for EO and don't find the differences from Catholicism a huge deal.  That being said, I'm Catholic and my father's family has been Catholic as far back as I can trace them, over 450 years.  I'll stick to being Catholic, but in the traditional sense. I'm going to ICK Masses right now, and if they go the Francis route, I'll go to the SSPX.  Heck, if I lived closer to one, I'd check them out right now. 

I recently read an article that mentioned a phrase I hadn't heard before, "petrified doctrine".  I always had trouble concisely referring to the unchangeable teachings of the Catholic Church and this fits the bill nicely. 

So I would insist the churches I go to adhere to "petrified doctrine". (I hope I'm using the term correctly. :) )
Quote:Currently listening to Fr Wolfe's series on Our Lady of Revelation and it's made me feel a bit better
That's a fantastic series, I'm happy you're taking the time to listen to it. Despite his occasional misguided jabs at the SSPX, he really does absolutely nail the situation going on in the Church and the world. His analysis of the condition of the Church in the light of Fatima, our Lady of Revelation and the Apocalypse is absolutely brilliant and dead on in my opinion. If anyone here hasn't heard that series yet, I very highly recommend listening to it as soon as possible.

Quote:but if the Catholic Church is not the One True Church
Do you believe in Fatima? If nothing else, hold on to that. 70,000 people saw the sun change colors, dance in the sky, and come plummeting toward the earth in apocalyptic fury. If a miracle of that magnitude doesn't convince you of the truth of the faith nothing will. Beyond that, though we do not know the precise words of the third secret, we know its essential contents. As a chastisement for sin the Church will be in eclipse, will be darkened, the faith will be lost across entire continents, the sheep will search in vain for their shepherds, the faith will be preserved in a small remnant, Rome will loose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ, and, according to Malachi Martin, the "last pope" will be under the control of Satan. No wonder Sister Lucia struggled mightily over the course of months to even be able to write it down! So its not as if Our Lady didn't very clearly warn us of the crisis going on in the Church in these times. When all seems lost, look to our Lady of Fatima, and do what she said. Pray the rosary every day, make the five first Saturdays, and pray and sacrifice for the conversion of sinners.

Quote:But I know what my life was like back when I rejected Christ and I ain't going back.
Amen to that brother, I have personally experienced the truly dark side of life, things that most Catholics probably couldn't even imagine. The transformation in my life since coming home to the faith is utterly inexplicable except in terms of divine grace. I know I'm not the only one with that testimony either. This is another point of hope for us; let us never forget where we came from and where we are now, and know that only the grace of Almighty God could have accomplished this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4