FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St Joseph of Cupertino
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Salutations FishEaters!

During my exams last week, I asked for St Joesph of Cupertino intercession when, despite study, I felt like I was going to fail some of my exams. All I asked was help in that I would get at least a pass and today I got my results and I passed! One exam I did better than expected and the other I just scrapped a pass. Of course I am going to continue to study harder but I can't help but give thanks. 

So... As part of the prayer I promised to make him known so to any fishies who don't know him. I think the best information about him that I can find is on Catholic.org. Here it is: https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=72

Well, thanks for reading :)
(01-27-2020, 07:08 PM)MissMarvellous Wrote: [ -> ]Catholic.org.
Hi readers, it seems you use Catholic Online a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help... :-/
Catholic.org ... great videos, yet the repetitive 'if you like this saint, buy this' is quite annoying.

Complaints aside, your post remembered me that he helped me out last month and only now the results came, as my memory went.
I had a difficult exam last December and had to score a good grade in order to avoid the need to pay for a new test or the obligation of repeating the same subject again. Just before exam I simply asked for him to pray for me and went on.
The official information was that I had to repeat the exam for this particular subject, but when they finally did the math I was told that I had the needed score to be approved.
Thanks for St. Joseph's aid, and thank you for remembering me.
  [Image: 0.jpg]
St Joesph of Cupertino is great!  I appreciate the buried wit in the propers for his Mass, too:

Collect from Mass Wrote:O God, Who willed that all things be drawn unto Your Son when He was raised above the earth, mercifully grant, by the merits and example of Your seraphic Confessor Joseph, that, having been raised above all earthly desires, we may be found worthy to come unto Him.

Collect from Vespers Wrote:O God, Who art pleased that thine Only-begotten Son being lifted up from the earth should draw all things unto Him, be entreated for the sake of thy servant Joseph, whom Thou didst make like unto one of the Seraphim, and so effectually work in us, that even as he, we also may be drawn up above all earthly lusts, and worthily attain unto Him:

They're making (not-quite-so) subtle allusions to the fact that St. Joseph of Cupertino was able to levitate and fly.  :D

Another great prayer I used to pray before taking exams was the Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas 'Before Studying':

Oratio S. Thomæ Aquinatis ante studium Wrote:O Infinite Creator, who in the riches of Thy wisdom didst appoint three hierarchies of Angels and didst set them in wondrous order over the highest heavens, and who didst apportion the elements of the world most wisely: do Thou, who art in truth the fountain of light and wisdom, deign to shed upon the darkness of my understanding the rays of Thine infinite brightness, and remove far from me the twofold darkness in which I was born, namely, sin and ignorance. Do Thou, who givest speech to the tongues of little children, instruct my tongue and pour into my lips the grace of Thy benediction. Give me keenness of apprehension, capacity for remembering, method and ease in learning, insight-in interpretation, and copious eloquence in speech. Instruct my beginning, direct my progress, and set Thy seal upon the finished work, Thou, who art true God and true Man, who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.
There's a wonderful movie about St. Joseph of Cupertino, called The Reluctant Saint (also called Joseph Desa) from the early 1960s, I think. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056403/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 It's one of my favorite movies, and Maximilian Schell is terrific in it. Look for it!

Deo Gratias!
Our Speech teacher in high school, a wry Carondolet Sister, used to intone when we prayed to St Joseph of Cupertino on our presumably dunce-like capabilities as students and test-takers.

The Man Who Could Fly: St Joseph of Copertino and the Mystery of Levitation

Found this mentioned but I have yet to read it. An academic looks at the phenomenon attributed to the flying friar.

"Michael Grosso delves into the biography of St. Joseph of Copertino, a Dominican [sic--he was Franciscan!] priest known to levitate, to explore the many strange phenomena which surrounded his life and develops potential physical explanations for some of the most astounding manifestations of his religious ecstasy."

"Grosso, former humanities and philosophy teacher at Marymount Manhattan College, canvasses the spiritual awakenings of St. Joseph of Copertino, the 17th century Italian friar who was purportedly could levitate, dedicating ample space to his troubled childhood. After an introduction that grounds St. Joseph’s miraculous feats in contemporary arguments against strict scientific, materialist views on reality—particularly the work of philosopher Paul Feyerabend—Grosso guides readers through St. Joseph’s private and public life, detailing the many primary accounts of supernatural events that seemingly encircled St. Joseph: levitation, psychokinesis, poltergeists, inedia, and materialization. He asks the why and how questions of 'is it possible?' Readers who are interested in the mystery surrounding historical figures shunned by the church will discover tidbits of fascinating information regarding this oft-suffering soul. Grosso’s work here is thorough. (Publishers Weekly)"

Blurb: "Michael Grosso, Ph.D, is an independent scholar, associated with an ongoing Seminar at Esalen on the role of mind in the cosmos. His latest book focuses on psychic anomalies that challenge reductive materialism. The emphasis is on waking up to the full girth of our potential. Michael Grosso has taught humanities and philosophy at Marymount Manhattan College, City University of New York, and New Jersey City University. He is on the Board of Directors of the American Philosophical Practitioner's Association, and is a past editor of the journal for that association."
[Image: 26542323._SY475_.jpg]