FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Difficulty Obtaining Plenary Indulgences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the condition of detachment from venial sin a modern requirement for obtaining a plenary indulgence?

I am not sure I can at this time obtain a plenary indulgence, although I've seen the interpretation that the detachment involves merely not desiring to lapse into sin, but desiring to lapse into sin would itself be sinful!

I offer up my indulgences for the poor souls in purgatory and pray for the dead with faith and hope that they will likewise pray for me, and I put my trust in God's abounding mercy.  Perhaps that will benefit me even more than a plenary indulgence, though I do strive to obtain them.

Lord have mercy!  Amen.
(01-30-2020, 06:24 PM)everbecoming2007 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the condition of detachment from venial sin a modern requirement for obtaining a plenary indulgence?

Not that I'm aware of.

(01-30-2020, 06:24 PM)everbecoming2007 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure I can at this time obtain a plenary indulgence, although I've seen the interpretation that the detachment involves merely not desiring to lapse into sin, but desiring to lapse into sin would itself be sinful!

I'm sure there are others who can better articulate the requirements of obtaining a plenary indulgence, but from my understanding, it is not as easy to obtain as one may initial think.  As I understand it, to be completely detached from sin as is required to obtain a plenary indulgence, one one must possess a near saint-like inner disposition. However, because of original sin, such an obtainment is in and of itself not at all an easy task.  Impossible? No.  Difficult? Yes.  But do not let that be a discouragement; instead, it should be a goal that we all strive for.

(01-30-2020, 06:24 PM)everbecoming2007 Wrote: [ -> ]I offer up my indulgences for the poor souls in purgatory and pray for the dead with faith and hope that they will likewise pray for me, and I put my trust in God's abounding mercy.  Perhaps that will benefit me even more than a plenary indulgence, though I do strive to obtain them.

Even if you do not obtain a plenary indulgence (either for yourself or someone else), there are still positive indulgence properties attached to your prayers.  Fr. Z had a post on this about six months or so back. I do not recall it ver batim, but what I do recall is him saying not to get preoccupied over whether one is obtaining a plenary indulgence or not as there will always be (assuming one is not in the state of mortal sin and the normal conditions met) some indulgence granted.