FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Let there be light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I started noticing different interpretations of the creation described in Genesis 1. Many of them are attempts at trying to insert the theory of evolution into creation. 

At first I thought they were filled with errors so I tried to find the RCC interpretation of the creation.
It seems though that there is actually no definitive interpretation according to this video. 

In the other link it says this 
"Catholics are at liberty to believe that creation took a few days or a much longer period, according to how they see the evidence, and subject to any future judgment of the Church (Pius XII’s 1950 encyclical Humani Generis 36–37)"
https://www.catholic.com/tract/creation-and-genesis

So with the creation open to interpretation id like to show you guys an interpretation from a book i read, "Winning the war against darkness" by Gideon Akinsuyi. A book on spiritual warfare. it says,

"The first kind of spiritual warfare on the earth was the battle between light and darkness. Ever since, every other forms of Spiritual warfare have taken their roots in this original battle which I called “Battle in the beginning”. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved upon the face of the water. And God said, let there be light; and these was light.” Genesis 1:1-3.
Already you know who is at work in darkness; God is now showing us what to do when it comes against our lives and the works of our hands. We are to confront it and resist it. There is only one way to resist darkness and that is by attacking it with light."

He presents this case that the darkness and light in these opening verses are not literal as the sun and moon weren't created until the 4th day. Instead he tells us that this darkness and light is the metaphor of evil and good so God rebukes the darkness with his light here. 

So for this to be true there are some things that must have already taken place; the creation of angels and the fall of Lucifer must have already occurred for darkness to be around. This could have happened after "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." as it is unclear how much time elapses before the next part. There could have been a previous earth that was corrupted by evil to the point of chaos and darkness so God started again by rebuking and separating the darkness from his light.

Another part of the book says "When darkness is in operation what you see is confusion, disruption and all kinds of disorder. This has been the form from the beginning. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form and void. And darkness was open the face of the deep
The emptiness and confusion that characterized the work of God at creation was not part of the original plan. It was the work of darkness. And that was why God started the work of change by rebuking the darkness first before any thing else could be done."

Im not promoting any theory or saying that this is true. Just saying i think it sounds like a reasonable interpretation that may have some truth in it. What do u guys think? Has it got any merit? What is your interpretation of creation? Are the 7 days taken literally?

On a side note the term "heavens" is plural. What is the RCC teaching on this? Is there 1 heaven, 3 of them or?
(01-31-2020, 04:34 AM)Porkncheese Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note the term "heavens" is plural. What is the RCC teaching on this? Is there 1 heaven, 3 of them or?

Well, Holy Scripture says there are at least three.
Quote:2nd Corinthians 12:2, I know a man in Christ: above fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth), such a one caught up to the third heaven.
They sky, the dwelling place of the angels, and Paradise.
(01-31-2020, 05:05 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2020, 04:34 AM)Porkncheese Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note the term "heavens" is plural. What is the RCC teaching on this? Is there 1 heaven, 3 of them or?

Well, Holy Scripture says there are at least three.
Quote:2nd Corinthians 12:2, I know a man in Christ: above fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not, or out of the body, I know not: God knoweth), such a one caught up to the third heaven.

"Heavens" or "sky" is plural because in Hebrew the word is always in the plural. Rather like "scissors" or "pants" in English. "Water" is the same way in Hebrew.
When I was an atheist a long time ago, I thought the whole "how can there be light when the sun wasn't created until the 4th day. OH SNAP" was a slam dunk objection. Now I think, "Hasn't anyone ever used a flashlight before?"

Scripture is firstly literal, but not in the sense that something may have happened in the exact order or process we 21st century readers envision it when we read the Biblical text. That is the Protestant error of reading the Bible "literalistically," as if it were a product manual. But the creation accounts are truly literal in the sense that God did create the heavens and the earth, and well, just look around you. They physically, actually are there, so God had to have done it, and He had to have done it somehow. The exact process of how God created is what the Catholic Church has allowed flexibility in interpreting. 

And that being said, since there are multiple senses of Scripture, above the literal, you can read spiritual and symbolic significance into it if you wish, if it helps you, as long as it doesn't oppose anything that is doctrinally certain.

If one wants to read into "the darkness" and the "void" a symbolic reference to the angelic rebellion, sort of like in the manner of how Tolkien opens the Silmarillion, then fine I guess. But there are some philosophical and theological nuances that come into play that don't allow us to take that interpretation very far without asserting (problematically) that the angels have some sort of intrinsic creative power above and beyond the ability to manipulate physical reality or assuming some sort of Platonic process to creation.
piscis Wrote:But there are some philosophical and theological nuances that come into play that don't allow us to take that interpretation very far without asserting (problematically) that the angels have some sort of intrinsic creative power above and beyond the ability to manipulate physical reality or assuming some sort of Platonic process to creation.

I don't understand why you are asserting that the angels have some sort of intrinsic creative power. 
The theory doesn't suggest that any angel created anything. 
It says God created the angels in the beginning along with the heavens and the earth. 
And that the fall of Lucifer took place as described in Revelation that brought darkness to a formless earth which God rebuked with his light.
It doesn't take the 7 days literally.

piscis Wrote:Hasn't anyone ever used a flashlight before

I've used a torch... LoL...