FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prayer Unceasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I endeavor, and I am certain I fail often, in always maintaining an awareness that I am in the presence of the Lord.  And in his sacramental presence I find an aid, such as in Adoration, of cultivating this form of prayer. 

My great grandmother, of Holiness origins, taught me about praying throughout the day, saying, "Jesus!  Jesus!"

Sometimes this form of prayer lends itself to interior delight and sweetness, but there are of course periods of dryness.

I focus on particular devotions, usually Eastern, but also Roman ones such as the Rosary or Sacred Heart, until I develop a quietude in which I can rest in Christ's presence, and if I should lose focus, I pick up where I left off in vocal prayer and meditation. 

I am curious as to the importance others here may place on unceasing prayer.  If you do believe it very important, what is your method of cultivating this prayerful state?
I switch between the Jesus Prayer, invoking the Sacred Heart, or simply calling to mind Christ in some mystery.

I also recite the rosary and Monastic Diurnal daily. So in between those it is the aforementioned.
I just pray Morning and Evening Prayer from my Old Orthodox Prayerbook and on Sundays add the Canon of Pascha during the Morning Prayer. The rest of the time it's just the Jesus Prayer and various inner conversation with God, the various saints I'm devoted too, or making signs of the cross. I'll bless my food and drink with a cross and a prayer.  I carry a Lestovka in my pocket at all times; maybe you've got a Chotki or a Rosary. Nothing particularly special.  

You just have to try to live as if your faith is not just something you do on a Sunday, but something that spills into your whole life.  It's a journey and a challenge.  I suppose anymore I don't look for or even want any special state, I just want to have the discipline and the faith to keep up a life of prayer for whatever time I've got left.
(02-04-2020, 06:44 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]I'll bless my food and drink with a cross and a prayer.

Ha, same here. Well, maybe not a cross (as in crucifix, if that's what you mean) but a sign of the cross and the Benedictus Benedicat prayer:

Benedictus benedicat, per Jesum Christum dominum nostrum.
Deo gratias, deo gratias, per Jesum Christum dominum nostrum.

Quote:I carry a Lestovka in my pocket at all times; maybe you've got a Chotki or a Rosary. Nothing particularly special.

I never go anywhere without a rosary and my brown scapular. I had to look up what a Lestovka is, and it sounds like a beautiful devotion.