FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interesting dilemma at work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So a little background, I write software for medical devices...

Recently attending the annual compnay "Anti-Harassment" training and the training has been updated to handle the gender madness of the day, the way it is handled is
  • Sex is what you are born as; male or female.
  • Gender is whatever the heck one wants to identify as...
and, of course, as an employee one must be respectful of both sex and gender...

Now I am updating code for a new product. During the workflow of this product patient information is displayed to verify the patient is who the user thinks it is and one of the patient details is Gender, currently male or female. Who knows what that details will be in the future based on the current cultural climate

So the dilemma, how does one handle supporting products that handle gender? In some ways just doing "the job" is implicitly supporting the gender madness and on the other handle its how I make a living.

Any thoughts on this? Has anybody else had to deal with the "gender" issue in their employment and how was it handled?
As a programmer, I find including a third option of "Undisclosed", or simply leaving the field as optional, suffices. That way you're not having to compromise, yet are leaving them an option to select.
I feel ya guys on this one. Given I live in NY, I have actually put on hold starting an IT business because of this very reason. My concern if I do web dev is some folks come to me to make a wedding website and they are gay. Of course I could avoid web dev but lets say GLADD needs a new user database or something and they want to hire me. Its exhausting to think of ways to get around so I just simply volunteer my time for projects I feel have value. Oh well....
(02-08-2020, 08:19 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]My concern if I do web dev is some folks come to me to make a wedding website and they are gay.

What's the concern? You refuse the job. The government can't compel you to speak, and custom products like t-shirt and websites and wedding cakes count as speech, since they're promoting a message. And if you get sued anyway, then maybe you get the courts to rule how they should have in Masterpiece Cakeshop, and if you lose, well, you'll be rewarded for it in heaven.
(02-08-2020, 08:19 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: [ -> ]I feel ya guys on this one. Given I live in NY, I have actually put on hold starting an IT business because of this very reason. My concern if I do web dev is some folks come to me to make a wedding website and they are gay. Of course I could avoid web dev but lets say GLADD needs a new user database or something and they want to hire me. Its exhausting to think of ways to get around so I just simply volunteer my time for projects I feel have value. Oh well....

You aren't compelled to provide a service to someone, or to give a reason for refusing.  I suspect a lot of people get in trouble for this sort of thing because they refuse...and then they won't quit talking about it.  If someone claims discrimination, they have to prove it.  Don't give them any way to prove it.
(02-08-2020, 08:48 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]What's the concern? You refuse the job. The government can't compel you to speak, and custom products like t-shirt and websites and wedding cakes count as speech, since they're promoting a message. And if you get sued anyway, then maybe you get the courts to rule how they should have in Masterpiece Cakeshop, and if you lose, well, you'll be rewarded for it in heaven.

Apparently you missed the part where I said I live in NEW YORK! The courts will never rule in my favor and I don't have deep pockets to sustain a fight of that magnitude. If you are so gung ho for a court fight then start a business, hire me, and you can run with it. You can have 80% of the profits for the risk that comes with it. Deal?

(02-09-2020, 01:29 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]You aren't compelled to provide a service to someone, or to give a reason for refusing.  I suspect a lot of people get in trouble for this sort of thing because they refuse...and then they won't quit talking about it.  If someone claims discrimination, they have to prove it.  Don't give them any way to prove it.

I have often thought about this.....just say no without reason. Lets say I make a series of wedding websites and a gay couple asks for one. I decline without reason but then go on to make several more. It could be argued I singled them out which could be interpreted as discrimination even if I didn't outright say so.

The other option I've considered is kindly asking the person(s) to go some place else or I would donate their fee to the Family Research Council in their names. I'm not sure what the theological culpability is if I made the site but donated the money to fighting its basis under compulsion....

To be honest though, my day job keeps me busy enough and pays well. I hate it but it affords my family the lifestyle we want (i.e. SAHM, homeschool, etc). Besides if I started my own biz there is no way I could do that and manage Fish Eaters like I do now. Everything is a trade off.
Perhaps do the work for people you don't want to work for, but do a real crappy job...not obvious, but enough that will cause them regret of ever hiring you.
austenbosten Wrote:Perhaps do the work for people you don't want to work for, but do a real crappy job...not obvious, but enough that will cause them regret of ever hiring you.

Im sorry, you lost me