FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A few quick Ash Wednesday questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does one need to be in a state of grace to receive ashes?
I assume taking medicine is fine?
Would anything consumed after midnight last night count towards the allotted meals?
Edit. Also, can my 4 year old son receive ashes, even he’s received none of the Sacraments?
Anyone can receive it as long as they do it with a spirit of repentance and devotion rather than some secular reason that would be an abuse of a sacramental. You don’t need to fast or go to confession first or anything.
Hi FultonFan,
One does not need to be in a state of grace to receive ashes, and, indeed, one need not be Catholic to do so, although I hope and pray that all who receive them while not Catholic do convert. Taking medicine is fine. On the third question, I'd say, probably yes. Your son can receive. It's devotional.
I've got to say, it kind of sucks that my parish isn't having a Mass today (Father has to drive from MN every week for Mass here), because I've already missed the other two TLMs in my area (which were at 6:30am). :/
 I always think of the time I was baby sitting a certain little guy. I had him in tow at Mass on Ash Wednesday, along with my own crew. I brought them all up to receive the ashes and he burst out "I got it, I got it!" 

I think he was used to watching grown ups receive the Eucharist, and he was so happy just to be able to get something from Father, even it it was only ashes. 
(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Does one need to be in a state of grace to receive ashes?
I assume taking medicine is fine?
Would anything consumed after midnight last night count towards the allotted meals?
Edit. Also, can my 4 year old son receive ashes, even he’s received none of the Sacraments?
You don't have to be in a state of grace to receive ashes, medicine is fine, anything consumed after midnight last night counts towards the allotted meals, and your 4 year old son can receive ashes -- anyone can, no matter if they received the Sacraments yet or not.
(02-26-2020, 12:48 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ] I always think of the time I was baby sitting a certain little guy. I had him in tow at Mass on Ash Wednesday, along with my own crew. I brought them all up to receive the ashes and he burst out "I got it, I got it!" 

I think he was used to watching grown ups receive the Eucharist, and he was so happy just to be able to get something from Father, even it it was only ashes. 

Awwww! My son was similarly excited today. He is four and so sad every Sunday when Father passes over him at the communion rail. He was grinning ear to ear this morning as he bounced back to his seat. It was hard for him to contain the happy lol. 

Both my kids, 19 months and 4 years, got ashes.
(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Does one need to be in a state of grace to receive ashes?

No, but it is not supernaturally beneficial to do anything without the State of Grace, since it is the principle of merit. God may use this as an opportunity to give grace, but there is no merit from the action.

Doesn't mean don't do it. Does mean, try to get in the State of Grace ASAP.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I assume taking medicine is fine?

True medicine and even food which is needed as true medicine or with medicine is fine (e.g. food for a diabetic or hypoglycemic). It must be avoided before Communion for at least one hour, except if it is absolutely necessary.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Would anything consumed after midnight last night count towards the allotted meals?

Yes. The day for fasting is counted from midnight to midnight. What is considered midnight is variable, though, as long as you are consistent. You can use Solar Noon or the Civil clock. For instance one place where I visited last year when it was noon it was actually only 10:30 am according to the sun. Right now in Phoenix Solar Noon is at 12:40 pm, meaning the real midnight is at 12:40 am.

You could use that clock to calculate when you start fasting/abstaining, or you could use civil time. You just need to be consistent when you pick one. If you live in Phoenix and decide to start fasting at 12:40 am, then you cannot stop the fast until 12:40 am. Same with abstaining. It's a full 24 hours, and you don't get to cheat.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Edit. Also, can my 4 year old son receive ashes, even he’s received none of the Sacraments?

Not even Baptism? May want to get on that one, if not. You have a moral obligation there.

To the original question, yes.

To the added notes from others, non-Catholics generally are not to be given sacramentals publicly. They are welcome to them, most traditional moral manuals are quite clear that, to avoid the risk of scandal, non-Catholics should not normally be given, during the ceremony, palms at the Palm Sunday ceremony, or Ashes on Ash Wednesday, or Candles at Candlemas. They can have the palm, ashes or candles, but these should normally be given privately, so, for instance, the boyfriend could be given two palms for him and his non-Catholic girlfriend, but ideally she should not be given one directly during the ceremony.

Obviously since the reason to avoid doing this is scandal, if there were no scandal, then this would not be an issue.
(02-26-2020, 08:30 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]

No, but it is not supernaturally beneficial to do anything without the State of Grace, since it is the principle of merit. God may use this as an opportunity to give grace, but there is no merit from the action.

Doesn't mean don't do it. Does mean, try to get in the State of Grace ASAP.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I assume taking medicine is fine?

True medicine and even food which is needed as true medicine or with medicine is fine (e.g. food for a diabetic or hypoglycemic). It must be avoided before Communion for at least one hour, except if it is absolutely necessary.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Would anything consumed after midnight last night count towards the allotted meals?

Yes. The day for fasting is counted from midnight to midnight. What is considered midnight is variable, though, as long as you are consistent. You can use Solar Noon or the Civil clock. For instance one place where I visited last year when it was noon it was actually only 10:30 am according to the sun. Right now in Phoenix Solar Noon is at 12:40 pm, meaning the real midnight is at 12:40 am.

You could use that clock to calculate when you start fasting/abstaining, or you could use civil time. You just need to be consistent when you pick one. If you live in Phoenix and decide to start fasting at 12:40 am, then you cannot stop the fast until 12:40 am. Same with abstaining. It's a full 24 hours, and you don't get to cheat.

(02-26-2020, 09:05 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Edit. Also, can my 4 year old son receive ashes, even he’s received none of the Sacraments?

Not even Baptism? May want to get on that one, if not. You have a moral obligation there.

To the original question, yes.

To the added notes from others, non-Catholics generally are not to be given sacramentals publicly. They are welcome to them, most traditional moral manuals are quite clear that, to avoid the risk of scandal, non-Catholics should not normally be given, during the ceremony, palms at the Palm Sunday ceremony, or Ashes on Ash Wednesday, or Candles at Candlemas. They can have the palm, ashes or candles, but these should normally be given privately, so, for instance, the boyfriend could be given two palms for him and his non-Catholic girlfriend, but ideally she should not be given one directly during the ceremony.

Obviously since the reason to avoid doing this is scandal, if there were no scandal, then this would not be an issue.

Apologies!
Yes, he received Baptism when a few months old.
Not sure why I worded things like this.

This is probably scruples, but what about sublingual Melatonin and Unisom taken after midnight last night? I guess they’re sort of OTC medicines/supplements/vitamins.
Can’t see how they’d be food.
Edits. Simply to correct a typo and add on to the first portion about Baptism.
(02-26-2020, 09:46 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]This is probably scruples, but what about sublingual Melatonin and Unisom taken after midnight last night? I guess they’re sort of OTC medicines/supplements/vitamins.
Can’t see how they’d be food.

They're not. It's scruples. Still praying for you every day.
Pages: 1 2