FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Church vs. Coronavirus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We know how this ends and what we must do. For the encouragement of all, let's spread the word.

Are you praying a particular novena to end this trial? Please post it here to assist others.

Is your parish, religious association, sodality, etc., planning Forty Hours devotion, processions, special Masses, consecrations, and the like? Please post this also.

We are rededicating ourselves to offer reparation to Our Lady of Fatima by making the Five First Saturdays. I can highly recommend The Fatima Center's 'First Saturday Meditation Manual' (preface by Fr. Gruner), but strangely I cannot find this excellent booklet listed on their Web site except for a reference here:

https://fatima.org/volunteer/november-20...oly-souls/#

Novena to Our Lady of Monte Berico

O Most Holy Virgin, Mother of God and my Mother Mary, I thank you that you have deigned to appear on Monte Berico and I thank you for all the graces you grant here to those who turn to you. Nobody ever prayed to you in vain.

I, too, resort to you and beg you for the Passion and Death of Jesus and for your pains: welcome me, O merciful Mother, under your mantle, which is a maternal mantle; grant me the particular grace that I ask of You [petition here] and protect me from all evil and especially from sin which is the greatest evil.

Make, O Mary, my Mother, that I always enjoy your loving protection in life and even more in death and then come to see you in heaven and to thank and bless you forever. Amen.

Madonna of Monte Berico, pray for us.

O sweet Virgin, pious mother of love,
Like this Ave rising from the heart.
Ave, ave, ave, Maria
Ave, ave, ave, Maria.

O Virgin, shine as a star in the sky,
Motherly defend your faithful children.
Ave, ave, ave Maria
Ave, ave, ave, Maria

https://m.ncregister.com/blog/smcafee/pr...oronavirus
Cure the Coronavirus: Prayers to 2 Incredible Saints Who Miraculously Defeated Plagues

The one thing the world forgets is the power of prayer!

From ChurchPOP

How can we end the world’s coronavirus outbreak? These two saints might be the answer.
Two saints miraculously cured plagues: St. Roch and St. Rosalie. Below are their incredible stories, as well as prayers invoking their powerful intercession.

St. Roch
Born of a noble family, tradition says St. Roch was miraculously born with a red cross on his breast.

St. Roch gave all of his fortune to the poor at age 20 after his parents died. In 1315, he assisted plague victims in several Italian cities, miraculously curing people with the sign of the cross. While helping the sick, he also contracted the disease.

However, the saint survived after a dog helped him in the forest. The dog brought him food and licked his wounds. He was later mistaken for a spy and spent the rest of his life in prison.

According to tradition, an angel appeared in St. Roch’s cell after his death. The angel said that those who invoked his intercession would be cured of the plague.

Prayer to St. Roch

O Blessed Saint Roch,
Patron of the sick,
Have pity on those
Who lie upon a bed of suffering.

Your power was so great
When you were in this world,
That by the sign of the Cross,
Many were healed of their diseases.

Now that you are in heaven,
Your power is not less.
Offer, then, to God
Our sighs and tears
And obtain for us that health we seek
Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

(Repeat the following 3 times)
Saint Roch, pray for us,
That we may be preserved
From all diseases of body and soul.

St. Rosalie

The Church knows little about St. Rosalie‘s life. Her story begins 500 years after her death.
In 1625, the city of Palermo in Sicily, Italy suffered a terrible plague. She appeared to a hunter, telling him to find her remains in a cave. She asked him to bring her remains into the city, citizens processed three times with her relics through Palermo. The plague then miraculously ended.

St. Rosalie became the patroness of Palermo A sanctuary stands where the hunter found her remains.

“Father in heaven, we thank You for the communion of saints so that we can draw near to You through the prayers of St. Rosalie. Through her prayers, help us to remember that our destiny is heaven.

As St. Rosalie gave up all things in this world for the sake of Your Kingdom, through her prayers, may we love more fully Your Son our Lord Jesus Christ, who together with You and the Holy Spirit are one God forever and ever. Amen.

O God, our Father, mercifully look upon Your people who come to You and grant through the intercession of St. Rosalie, who turned away from earthly delights to the joys of contemplation, that we may be delivered from all harm here on earth and one day be welcomed into the Kingdom of Heaven.

St. Rosalie, confessor and virgin, we pray to God for our families and friends. Through your powerful prayers, may we obtain health, life, and eternal salvation.

I also pray today for this special need and intention (make your intention known). O glorious virgin and confessor, St. Rosalie, I promise henceforth to remember and follow your example of faith and love. Pray for me and mine.
Amen.”

Prayer for Coronavirus Victims (video)

Sts. Roch and Rosalie, please pray for us and protect us from all disease!
St. Louis Marie Grignion De Montfort: How Our Lady Restablished the Rosary After The Black Death

All things, even the holiest, are subject to change, especially when they are dependent on man's free will. It is hardly to be wondered at, then, that the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary only retained its first fervour for a century after it was instituted by Saint Dominic. After this it was like a thing buried and forgotten.

Doubtless, too, the wicked scheming and jealousy of the devil were largely responsible for getting people to neglect the Rosary, and thus block the flow of God's grace which it had drawn upon the world.

Thus in 1349 God punished the whole of Europe with the most terrible plague that had ever been known. Starting in the east, it spread throughout Italy, Germany, France, Poland and Hungary, bringing desolation wherever it went, for out of a hundred men hardly one lived to tell the tale. Big cities, towns, villages and monasteries were almost completely deserted during the three years that the epidemic lasted.

This scourge of God was quickly followed by two others, the heresy of the Flagellants and a tragic schism in 1376.

Later on, when these trials were over, thanks to the mercy of God, our Lady told Blessed Alan to revive the former Confraternity of the Holy Rosary. Blessed Alan was one of the Dominican Fathers at the monastery at Dinan, in Brittany. He was an eminent theologian and a famous preacher. Our Lady chose him because, since the Confraternity had originally been started in that province, it was fitting that a Dominican from the same province should have the honour of re-establishing it.

Blessed Alan began this great work in 1460, after a special warning from our Lord. This is how he received that urgent message, as he himself tells it:

One day when he was offering Mass, our Lord, who wished to spur him on to preach the holy Rosary, spoke to him in the Sacred Host. "How can you crucify me again so soon?" Jesus said. "What did you say, Lord?" asked Blessed Alan, horrified. "You crucified me once before by your sins," answered Jesus, "and I would willingly be crucified again rather than have my Father offended by the sins you used to commit. You are crucifying me again now because you have all the learning and understanding that you need to preach my Mother's Rosary, and you are not doing it. If you only did that, you could teach many souls the right path and lead them away from sin. But you are not doing it, and so you yourself are guilty of the sins that they commit."

This terrible reproach made Blessed Alan solemnly resolve to preach the Rosary unceasingly.

Our Lady also said to him one day to inspire him to preach the Rosary more and more, "You were a great sinner in your youth, but I obtained the grace of your conversion from my Son. Had such a thing been possible, I would have liked to have gone through all kinds of suffering to save you, because converted sinners are a glory to me. And I would have done that also to make you worthy of preaching my Rosary far and wide."
Saint Dominic appeared to Blessed Alan as well and told him of the great results of his ministry: he had preached the Rosary unceasingly, his sermons had borne great fruit and many people had been converted during his missions.

He said to Blessed Alan, "See what wonderful results I have had through preaching the Rosary. You and all who love our Lady ought to do the same so that, by means of this holy practice of the Rosary, you may draw all people to the real science of the virtues."

Briefly, then, this is the history of how Saint Dominic established the holy Rosary and of how Blessed Alan de la Roche restored it.

From the time Saint Dominic established the devotion to the holy Rosary up to the time when Blessed Alan de la Roche reestablished it in 1460, it has always been called the Psalter of Jesus and Mary. This is because it has the same number of Hail Marys as there are psalms in the Book of the Psalms of David. Since simple and uneducated people are not able to say the Psalms of David, the Rosary is held to be just as fruitful for them as David's Psalter is for others.

Ever since Blessed Alan de la Roche re-established this devotion, the voice of the people, which is the voice of God, gave it the name of the Rosary, which means "crown of roses." That is to say that every time people say the Rosary devoutly they place on the heads of Jesus and Mary 153 white roses and sixteen red roses. Being heavenly flowers, these roses will never fade or lose their beauty.

Our Lady has approved and confirmed this name of the Rosary; she has revealed to several people that each time they say a Hail Mary they are giving her a beautiful rose, and that each complete Rosary makes her a crown of roses.

So the complete Rosary is a large crown of roses and each chaplet of five decades is a little wreath of flowers or a little crown of heavenly roses which we place on the heads of Jesus and Mary. The rose is the queen of flowers, and so the Rosary is the rose of devotions and the most important one.

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!
The Stella coeli (celi) extirpavit is a fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries prayer probably composed during the Black Death and set to music by the Friars Minor. (Or alternatively, composed in the sixth century during the time of plague in the reign of Pope St. Gregory the Great.)

Stella celi extirpavit
que lactavit Dominum
mortis pestem, quam plantavit
primus parens hominum.
Ipsa stella nunc dignetur
sydera compescere;
quorum bella plebem cedunt
dire mortis ulcere.
O gloriosa stella maris,
a peste succurre nobis.
Audi nos: nam Filius tuus
nihil negans te honorat.
Salva nos, Jesu, pro quibus
virgo mater te orat.

Star of Heaven,
who nourished the Lord
and rooted up the plague of death
which our first parents planted;
may that star now deign
to hold in check the constellations
whose strife grants the people
the ulcers of a terrible death.
O glorious star of the sea,
save us from the plague.
Hear us: for your Son
who honours you denies you nothing.
Jesus, save us, for whom
the Virgin Mother prays to you.

Quote:[I]n addition to their musical ministry, the Friars Minor were intimately involved in caring for the sick during the Black Death and in subsequent epidemics. According to the chronicle of the Sicilian Franciscan Michele da Piazza, ‘the Franciscans and Dominicans, and [those] of other orders who were willing to visit the sick to hear their confession and impose penance, died in such large numbers that their priories were all but deserted’. It has been estimated that 42.5 per cent of all the Franciscans in England died during the Black Death, and their reported mortality in Europe as a whole was catastrophic. This was probably due to their willingness to minister in unsavoury conditions, and a dedication to caring for the sick during the Black Death which apparently exceeded that of their ecclesiastical colleagues. As Moorman notes, the fact that in mid-fourteenth-century London the Franciscan friary was located on a street so notorious for its unhealthy atmosphere it bore the name ‘Stynkynglane’ is suggestive, and the Franciscan labouring in the miasmas of plague did not go unnoticed. After the Black Death, a letter from Pope Clement VI to diocesan leaders who had complained about the mendicants’ disproportionate receipt of donations after the epidemic upheld the friars’ claims to increased wealth, on the grounds that that where ‘so many of the parish priests took flight and abandoned their parishoners, the mendicants cared for and buried them’. In addition, there is ample evidence that the order cultivated knowledge of natural philosophy and medicine.

Christopher Macklin. Plague, Performance, and the Elusive History of Stella celi extirpavit (2010).
From Robert Royal's 'Plagues, Politics, Prayers':

Quote:Trials like this seem to be meant to teach us something that our materialist, technological civilization is virtually dedicated to denying: that we are not in control, not individually, not collectively. That in important respects, the false belief that we are in control is even more destructive than serious diseases.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2020/03...s-prayers/
OOOPS!!

Article Wrote:summit.news

DC Priest Who Shook 500 Hands at Communion Has Coronavirus
Published 1 min ago on 9 March, 2020 Paul Joseph Watson

Health

Church cancelled for first time since 1800’s.

A DC priest who shook the hands of 500 worshippers during communion has announced he’s contracted coronavirus.

“BREAKING: A D.C. priest has Coronavirus. He offered communion and shook hands with more than 500 worshippers last week and on February 24th,” tweeted ABC7’s Sam Sweeney.
“All worshippers who visited the Christ Church in Georgetown must self-quarantine. Church is cancelled for the first time since the 1800’s.”

The hand shaking took place despite many other Catholic churches changing their worshipping practices in an effort to stop the spread of the virus.

USA Today reports that at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, “Priests have started asking worshippers not to shake hands at the sign of peace, which occurs around midway through the Catholic service. Most Masses here normally don’t offer wine during communion, but those that do are suspending the use of the shared chalices for now.”

Such precautions are not being followed at other religious sites in regions impacted by the coronavirus.

Videos of two men licking holy shrines in Iran went viral last week, with one individual seen licking the Masumeh shrine in Qom, while saying, “I’m not scared of coronavirus.”

In another video, a man states he plans to lick the shrine “so the disease can go inside my body and others can visit it with no anxiety.”

The men face up to two years in jail in addition to 74 lashes.
This Sunday, at Mass, Father announced that Communion of the Precious Blood and Holy Water in the Church's fonts will be suspended for a while. He also said that shaking of hands at the 'sign of peace' will be optional (most did not, BTW). I also had my temperature taken and a questionnaire (asking about recent travels and 'exposures') to fill out at a nursing home before I could go and bring Holy Communion to our Parishioners.

It begins...
Quote:I also had my temperature taken and a questionnaire (asking about recent travels and 'exposures') to fill out at a nursing home before I could go and bring Holy Communion to our Parishioners.

May God bless you, Zedta, and may Jesus keep us all safe in His Most Sacred Heart.
I keep asking myself a very disturbing question. If my church is shutdown for a month or two or longer, and then it re-opens , how could I ever have any respect for my priest again.
Pages: 1 2 3