FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Canonical status of SSPX.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm needing some clarification on this matter.
Is there any sort of recent Magisterial statement on this?
Three holy men that I have great respect for seem to have three different opinions on the matter.
His Eminence Cardinal Raymond Burke, if I understand correctly, states that the SSPX is in schism with the Church.
Reverend Father Chad Ripperger seems to indicate that the SSPX is within the Church, but (and I could be slightly wrong on this), they cannot legitimately exercise their ministry.
Then recently I watched an interview with His Excellency Bishop Athanasius Schneider.
His views seemed to be far more sympathetic towards the SSPX.
So what is the truth? Are we supposed to figure this out ourselves?
(03-14-2020, 10:27 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm needing some clarification on this matter.
Is there any sort of recent Magisterial statement on this?
Three holy men that I have great respect for seem to have three different opinions on the matter.
His Eminence Cardinal Raymond Burke, if I understand correctly, states that the SSPX is in schism with the Church.
Reverend Father Chad Ripperger seems to indicate that the SSPX is within the Church, but (and I could be slightly wrong on this), they cannot legitimately exercise their ministry.
Then recently I watched an interview with His Excellency Bishop Athanasius Schneider.
His views seemed to be far more sympathetic towards the SSPX.
So what is the truth? Are we supposed to figure this out ourselves?

Well thanks to the double-speak of the post-conciliar popes, in a way...yes!

SSPX went from:

"schism" in JPII's reign to,
"separate but not in schism; no canonical status but no ecclesiastical penalties" under BXVI's reign to,
"we grant some faculties to SSPX" under Francis.

So yeah sadly we are to figure out because the Vatican doesn't even know.
You're going to get the same three answers from different members of this forum: they're schismatics, they're part of the Church but have no canonical standing to exercise ministry, they're in the Church and can legitimately exercise priestly ministry.  I attend an SSPX chapel, so that should tell you what I think.  As for official statements from the Church, well there are a few.  The nature of these statements and how Rome has approached the SSPX in prior years and up to the present day generates confusion of the kind you've experienced from different, respected clergymen in the Church.  The 1988 episcopal consecrations led to a decree that Archbishop Lefebvre and the new bishops were excommunicated due to their "schismatic" act.  That excommunication, and any schism that supposedly occurred, applied only to the bishops. It never applied to the priests of the Society or the lay faithful who attend the Society's chapels.  The excommunications were lifted by Pope Benedict some years ago.  That also included the kind of "middle position" that Fr. Ripperger takes: they have no canonical standing and exercise no legitimate ministry.  That official position fell apart almost as soon as Pope Francis showed up.  He has given faculties to the priests of the Society to hear confessions and officiate at marriages.  One cannot say that the pope has given the Society permission to illicitly celebrate those sacraments, so it is clear that, as far as the Holy See goes these days, the SSPX does exercise legitimate ministry in some cases.  The Society's position, which I hold to, is that it has always had these faculties, and for all sacraments, from supplied jurisdiction.  For a nice explanation of this from the Society, see these two videos:

Does the SSPX reject the authority of the Pope?

No. Therefore, they are not schismatic.
I do not attend the SSPX. I have confessed to an SSPX Priest on one occasion years ago, and over a year ago I attended one SSPX Mass. That said, they are not now, and never have been in schism, which is why the sedes avoid them. They pray for the Pope at every Mass and display his portrait.

I love and respect Cardinal Burke, but on this point he's wrong, and as a canonist, he should know better. If there were an SSPX chapel nearby, I would have no qualms in attending it regularly.
Their sacraments are valid but Lefebvre was excommunicated for consecrating their clergy without papal approval. The priests now have had the excommunications lifted. They are not sedevacantist. That is all I know.
Dr. Taylor Marshall had a great interview with Fr. Robinson of the SSPX and they go in--depth with Abp. Lefebvre and touch upon the issues of the SSPX canonical status. I recommend watching it if you have some time. In my personal opinion, the Archbishop was a great missionary and saintly man who died in the bosom of the Church and I privately invoke his intercession daily.

A Prayer for the Beatification of Marcel François Marie Joseph Lefebvre

The prayer below was composed by a Priest friend of mine who is not affiliated in any way with the Society of St Pius X.

WE BESEECH THEE to grant us, O Lord, who raised up Thy servant Marcel François to resist the serpentine doctrine of the modernists, and to be an example of humility and courageous fortitude, through his intercession, a measure of that same spirit, so that following after his goodly example we may ever remain ardent in charity to Thy well-beloved Son, King of the Universe; And, full of zeal for Thy House ma,  before Thy heavenly throne, approve ourselves worthy to be numbered among his friends.

Our Lady of Victory, intercede with thy Divine Son, that if He wills, Marcel François may be raised to dignity of the Altar, and be hymned among His saints. Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen. (3x)

Our Lady of Victory, pray for us!
Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have mercy upon us!
In 2020, it is practically impossible to make the case that the SSPX is in schism. Francis gave them permission to offer all the sacraments, including ordinations in a private correspondence with Bp. Fellay. That is the current state of things.

It's worth adding that Fr. Josef Bisig, the principal founder of the FSSP, did not find the suspension a divinis a reason to consider the SSPX in schism or to avoid attending them since he himself was still in the SSPX when they were suspended (this was before the 1988 consecrations).
(03-14-2020, 04:30 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]A Prayer for the Beatification of Marcel François Marie Joseph Lefebvre

The prayer below was composed by a Priest friend of mine who is not affiliated in any way with the Society of St Pius X.

WE BESEECH THEE to grant us, O Lord, who raised up Thy servant Marcel François to resist the serpentine doctrine of the modernists, and to be an example of humility and courageous fortitude, through his intercession, a measure of that same spirit, so that following after his goodly example we may ever remain ardent in charity to Thy well-beloved Son, King of the Universe; And, full of zeal for Thy House ma,  before Thy heavenly throne, approve ourselves worthy to be numbered among his friends.

Our Lady of Victory, intercede with thy Divine Son, that if He wills, Marcel François may be raised to dignity of the Altar, and be hymned among His saints. Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen. (3x)

Our Lady of Victory, pray for us!
Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have mercy upon us!

This is awesome, God bless
Pages: 1 2