FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Melkite Eparchy of Newton's response to this virus...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I shall go on record critiquing the slow reaction. First, they played down the dangerousness of the virus. No. Nicholas ensured on March 15, the virus wasn't a big deal, only 2,000 were infected in a country of 330 million. Orthodox parishes had already cancelled public liturgies.

Second, they only gave alternatives toward kissing the priest's hand in the blessing. The Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia had not only advised against kissing icons, they began prohibiting it and even required the icons be wiped down and sanitized.

Currently, Bp. Nicholas has now cancelled public liturgies but still has appointed times for distribution of Holy Communion. That's it? No confession even? But this still puts people in danger! One would hope the spoon is being sanitized to say the least but if one family receiving Holy Communion spreads it to the priest and it is spread to another by the priest, these Holy Communion distribution times are going to put people in danger. We've also furthered ourselves from the Apostolic roots by putting stronger emphasis on the receiving of Holy Communion without repentance.
The spoon is only used for presanctified liturgies in the Melkite church.  We probably have the safest means of receiving communion since no contact is made between the priest and communicant in normal practice.  Even with the spoon, the communicant's mouth is never supposed to touch it.

I haven't heard what Bp. Nicholas' directions on going to confession are, but I would be very surprised if he has banned making appointments for confession.  I actually think his response has been the most level-headed.  The Antiochian parish by me is still having services, as far as I know, even after their metropolitan has said all churches should livestream their liturgies and people should stay home.
(03-24-2020, 06:59 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]The spoon is only used for presanctified liturgies in the Melkite church.  We probably have the safest means of receiving communion since no contact is made between the priest and communicant in normal practice.  Even with the spoon, the communicant's mouth is never supposed to touch it.

I haven't heard what Bp. Nicholas' directions on going to confession are, but I would be very surprised if he has banned making appointments for confession.  I actually think his response has been the most level-headed.  The Antiochian parish by me is still having services, as far as I know, even after their metropolitan has said all churches should livestream their liturgies and people should stay home.
The other method of the priest or deacon administering it via his hands to your mouth might be even more problematic. I would be shocked if No. Nicholas has banned confessions too but there has been no instruction on that.

The Antiochian priest there should be given a rebuke. They're still having Mass at my old Anglican mission back in AZ but they only gather 10 people every Sunday any way.