FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It's the Tribulation! What's for Supper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so this thread is somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  :D

Still, people are beginning to wonder how to handle food now that resources are becoming limited.

Let's pool our knowledge and come up with options.

One source of food that is easily stored and prepared is dried beans. But many people cannot eat them 'as is' due to the simple sugars dried beans contain. There's a straightforward solution: sprouting.

Sprouting dried beans uses up the simple sugars that cause gasiness and turns the beans into a vegetable, lowering the carb content. Yes, the process takes a few days but you probably have all the equipment in your kitchen, a colander, a couple of kitchen towels, and a pan to spread out the beans as they sprout. Do a week's worth at a time, cook and freeze, or dry the sprouted beans and grind into powder.

How to sprout beans from One Vibrant Mama:

Quote:To sprout and cook beans, soak the beans in water overnight.  Drain thoroughly, then spread out in a colander or a berry basket and set on the counter to dry.  Cover with a towel if needed.  Rinse the beans 3-4 times a day for two to three days and drain thoroughly each time.  Discard them if mold or a sour smell develops. Depending on what type of bean you are soaking, it will take a different amount of time to get them to sprout for each type.

To cook, rinse thoroughly then cover by one-inch of water or stock and bring to a gentle simmer and cook until tender.  Alternately, they can be cooked in your pressure cooker or your crock-pot.

This does take more planning and preparation, but I find the benefits outweigh that problem.  You can do the beans in large batches, and once they are cooked they can be frozen just like soaked and cooked beans. That lets you keep them on hand and ready for inclusion in any meal you wish.

Edited to add:  Please note that you must cook kidney and cannellini beans in order to neutralize the toxins found in the raw bean.

You'll find recipes here too:

https://www.onevibrantmama.com/why-i-no-...-my-beans/
You can buy propper sprouting seeds online. They also have organic sprouting seeds at my dollar store.
Most edible seeds including wheat are easily sprouted; avoid those that have been heat treated, irradiated, or split.

I ran a trial with dried pinto beans, placing 1 cup beans in a quart sized mason jar and adding a plastic sprouting lid (found at natural food stores or ordered online). I rinsed the beans every time I walked by, and by the second day they had swelled to fill the jar.

On the third day the root tails had grown about the length of the bean itself, so I gave them a final rinse, placed them in a pan with fresh cold water (about an inch above the beans), added 1 teaspoon salt, and cooked them until done, about an hour.

These beans tasted just like regular, non-sprouted beans, cooked faster, and there was no gassiness. Best of all, my blood sugar did not spike when I ate them.
Soup. Vegetarian vegetable, for my vegetarian girls and ham and lentil soup for the rest. Home made bread all round. I can't keep up with the demand for bread here during this plague. They eat it fast as I can make it. Whew. Two more loaves just came out of the oven. I'm gonna get me a fly swatter and anyone who goes for it before grace tonight gets a slap on the hand.
The Cuter&Shorter Half sorta made breakfast for supper. It consisted of hash browns, scrambled eggs, and 'sausage' patties made from TVP and flavoured with soy sauce and Marmite. The 'sausage' was delicious, but given the sodium content of both soy sauce and Marmite, it's going to be a rare treat for me.

And to top it off, she sauteed a mix of some fresh asparagus, onions, and chives from the garden. 
Quote:And to top it off, she sauteed a mix of some fresh asparagus, onions, and chives from the garden.

I've got to pass on the Marmite--it's definitely an Aussie thing; I suppose there's some merit there--but the vegetables sound heavenly.
(05-04-2020, 02:26 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: [ -> ]I've got to pass on the Marmite--it's definitely an Aussie thing; 

Or British. Ours came from England, along with the HP Brown Sauce in the fridge (I ran out of Daddies), the Colman's dry mustard in the cabinet, and various other condiments and foodstuffs.
Frozen fish filets, onion rings, and salad. I have a freezer full of similar items for the tribulation.
I'll fast during the tribulation.

Cita sit.
(05-04-2020, 08:19 PM)Te Deum Wrote: [ -> ]I'll fast during the tribulation.

Cita sit.

Mmhm... And that's the difference between you and me. You fast while I hoard fried foods.
Pages: 1 2