FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fatima Family Holy Hour For The Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-11-2020, 04:43 PM)CF Mathews Wrote: [ -> ]I do not think the internet applies, but we will see what the canon lawyer says.  It is an interesting discussion.

It's enough to ask why the Church wants to supervise the publication of materials related to the Faith, Scripture, and prayer. Why would the church insist that my Bible, my religious education textbooks (for the classes I teach), my book of the Stations of the Cross and such things are all approved by some authority?

It is to ensure that what things are published and claim to be Catholic do not lead people astray. If a prayer, for instance, suggested that Our Lord was not truly man in some subtle way, the Church would want to prohibit that prayer, or insist it be corrected. This is exactly why the Divine Mercy devotion and image plus the Diaries of Sr Faustina were prohibited for at least a time pending an investigation. Questions came up and the Church wanted to see about their orthodoxy before allowing their circulation. The Church said, that these new prayers and devotions could not be used until they were corrected or their orthodoxy was determined.

If this applies to a book of prayer, then it would even more (a fortiori) apply to the Internet, where the risk is even greater. A book, by nature, has a very limited circulation. There is a cost in publication, time in writing and proofing, cost of printing and distribution channels. It then cannot easily be changed without a new edition. It's a huge investment, so a partial barrier to error, and even then the Church does not want this.

The Internet has a wide circulation, near zero cost in publication, proofing is not often done (hence my frequent spelling mistakes), there is zero printing cost, and the Internet itself is a giant, nearly free, distribution channel. The problem is magnified.

Consider the cost to publish a prayer book. Easily $20,000 for a nice edition of 1000 copies (a short print run). Cost to share on the Internet? Perhaps $50 in ISP and website costs, and possibly free if using a website that is ad-supported.

Why would the Church give free reign on the Internet, but books ... those need to be regulated because they are so much more dangerous!? That makes no logical sense. The only way it makes sense is if we want to pre-determined conclusion that we can put on the Internet whatever we want.

By asking that question to this Canon Lawyer you propose, we will see not what a Canon Lawyer says, as if he or she were the first to look at it. We will see what a third Canon Lawyer will say, as I have directly cited one (Cathy), and consulted with another (the priest mentioned). So we already have two negative votes.
I am no longer participating in this discussion.  Anyone who wants to see the canon lawyer's response to me, please contact me through my website, which is in my profile.
Just for the record, let me correct another inaccuracy stated here-this is not my own "Rosary."  The standard Rosary is a part of the Holy Hour.  What is in question is a well-known litany and 2 prayers I wrote myself, asking God for help and mercy during these times of crisis.
(06-11-2020, 09:39 PM)CF Mathews Wrote: [ -> ]I am no longer participating in this discussion.  Anyone who wants to see the canon lawyer's response to me, please contact me through my website, which is in my profile.

So, since you will not publish it, I will assume it matches what the other Canon Lawyers have said, and you're just not willing to follow the law. 

If that's not the case, then you should, as promised, publish the whole answer along with the question you proposed.

As to your clarification, I did not say anything inaccurate, the question was always the litany which is not approved for public use, and your prayers which you are welcome to use yourself, but are not permitted to publish for public use without your bishop's approval.

That is the issue and always has been. Were you able to get permission to publish these for public use by your bishop, I would have no issue.
Pages: 1 2 3