FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fatima Family Holy Hour For The Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
May 13th is the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Please join the Fatima Family Holy Hour For The Church, during this difficult time. Each month from May to October, we will post the Holy Hour on the 13th, to celebrate the apparition on that day in 1917.

Our PDF is available for printing. It is 4 pages. Please print as many as you need for your family. That’s all you need to do! PRINTABLE VERSION OF MAY HOLY HOUR FORMAT

Candle-Lighting for Reparation ~ Marian Hymn ~ Fatima Reading & Prayer ~ The Holy Rosary ~ Litany of Our Lady of Fatima ~ Final Prayer ~ Closing Hymn

Our Holy Hour will begin with a Candle-Lighting for Reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The candle will remain lit for the duration. Our Lady will see all our little lights from Heaven throughout the day, and know that there is love for her on earth…that we empathize with all her sorrows, especially for the outrages against the unborn. We will then sing a hymn and tell the story of the events on that particular day in the life of the three children, Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco. Prayers given to the children from on high will be said. We will then pray the Rosary associated with that day of the week. Litany to follow, along with a Final Prayer. We conclude with a closing hymn.

This is not a video or live event. It is a format for you to perform privately in the home. Please help spread the word. If you participate, please share below. If you don’t get to do this on the feast May 13th, remember May is the month of the Blessed Mother, so any time during May would be totally appropriate! Please consider making Our Lady of Fatima’s requests a part of your daily life. See bluearmy.com .

A Project of Nomen Christi Apostolate
Thank you, CF Mathews. I had no idea there was a litany for Our Lady of Fatima, and it's family-friendly too. We'll join you.
I'm curious about this "Nomen Christi" apostolate, because the website is pretty non-descript.

The goal is "preparedness and sustainability" and on the home page quote an Apple advertisment/Steve Jobs. That's a bit odd for a Catholic apostolate.

I'd also note that while I don't find anything objectionable in the prayer there are a few oddities in the prayers recommended on the site, nothing itself wrong, but Catholics should have a natural sense of scrutiny when prayers are pushed by a lay apostolate that are not approved by the Church.

I would note that about the Fatima Holy Hour, here advertised. The Litany of Our Lady of Fatima is not an approved Litany, and at best could be used for private recitation (not public recitation, and that includes recitation with others). That does not mean it is a bad prayer. There are many private Litanies, I even say the Litany of Humility often, it is a great prayer, but it cannot be used in public (i.e. with others). So that is one problem with this suggested prayer. I think it would be better to say the Litany of Loreto.

Secondly, prayers when published for public use need to be given an approval by the Church. When it's just common prayers, that might seem pedantic, and clearly there could be an easy exception, else a handout for a Procession at church would be illegal, but certainly when prayers that are not common, or even novel things are published, it should at least before publication be approved by a priest, and if circulated for wide use, one's local bishop (or the equivalent). That's part of being "faithful to the Holy Father" which the site takes pains to reiterate a disturbingly large number of times, as if anytime we mention Pope Francis, we need to remind everyone that we're faithful. I'd guess 90% of people here, or even in the traditional movement were, so it's a bit odd.

I also am always very troubled by new people popping into the forum, advertising their things, and then not sticking around to actually participate. So, CF, I'd hope you're not just using this as free advertising space to get people to come and read your blog. That's not why this forum exists. If you do want to join us, though, you're most welcome.
(05-13-2020, 11:33 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you, CF Mathews. I had no idea there was a litany for Our Lady of Fatima, and it's family-friendly too. We'll join you.

Thanks so much!  If you did the devotion, please post here how it blessed your family and any thoughts you have on it.  I am delighted!
(05-14-2020, 03:13 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about this "Nomen Christi" apostolate, because the website is pretty non-descript.

The goal is "preparedness and sustainability" and on the home page quote an Apple advertisment/Steve Jobs. That's a bit odd for a Catholic apostolate.

I'd also note that while I don't find anything objectionable in the prayer there are a few oddities in the prayers recommended on the site, nothing itself wrong, but Catholics should have a natural sense of scrutiny when prayers are pushed by a lay apostolate that are not approved by the Church.

I would note that about the Fatima Holy Hour, here advertised. The Litany of Our Lady of Fatima is not an approved Litany, and at best could be used for private recitation (not public recitation, and that includes recitation with others). That does not mean it is a bad prayer. There are many private Litanies, I even say the Litany of Humility often, it is a great prayer, but it cannot be used in public (i.e. with others). So that is one problem with this suggested prayer. I think it would be better to say the Litany of Loreto.

Secondly, prayers when published for public use need to be given an approval by the Church. When it's just common prayers, that might seem pedantic, and clearly there could be an easy exception, else a handout for a Procession at church would be illegal, but certainly when prayers that are not common, or even novel things are published, it should at least before publication be approved by a priest, and if circulated for wide use, one's local bishop (or the equivalent). That's part of being "faithful to the Holy Father" which the site takes pains to reiterate a disturbingly large number of times, as if anytime we mention Pope Francis, we need to remind everyone that we're faithful. I'd guess 90% of people here, or even in the traditional movement were, so it's a bit odd.

I also am always very troubled by new people popping into the forum, advertising their things, and then not sticking around to actually participate. So, CF, I'd hope you're not just using this as free advertising space to get people to come and read your blog. That's not why this forum exists. If you do want to join us, though, you're most welcome.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to look at my work.  I did say in my initial post to bear with me because I am just getting used to this environment. 

As for the ministry, we are in formation and not even accepting donations yet.  The vision is evolving, but I would like to see Catholics better prepared and more self-sufficient.  As we look around, the need for this should be getting more and more clear.  I am maintaining a blog dealing with a variety of what I feel are related topics (the relation among these topics may not be readily apparent, that's why one has to immerse oneself in the environment to understand it).

It is the substance of that quote that I find spot on.  I admit it is ironic that I quote Apple, because my whole philosophy is to fight everything the techno culture stands for.  But we humans are complex!

As for the prayers, this is a devotion to be done at home, so a private litany should not be a problem. To get prayers approved, I will certainly do that, when the ministry grows further.  But I don't think we need to be so authoritarian that a good Catholic can't write a prayer and publish it.  If someone sees something theologically wrong, they can certainly bring this to my attention.

I will keep in mind that this is a discussion forum and I encourage discussion on anything I post.  Having said that, I do think there needs to be some way for sincere Catholics doing good work to get exposure. Is anyone in disagreement about that?  If I had a forum, I would welcome such people.  The moderators can instruct me further if they feel they need to.
(05-14-2020, 03:13 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]...The Litany of Our Lady of Fatima is not an approved Litany, and at best could be used for private recitation (not public recitation, and that includes recitation with others). That does not mean it is a bad prayer. There are many private Litanies, I even say the Litany of Humility often, it is a great prayer, but it cannot be used in public (i.e. with others).

I'd like to add, as per text below, it seems you are incorrect about "public" vs. "private" prayer.  There should be no problem with including this litany.  As for privately written prayer, there should be no problem with that either.  Catholics are free to scrutinize the theology and raise any issues of concern, by any prayer put out by an organization, but they do not have to be officially approved.  It is no different from someone in a prayer group saying a spontaneous prayer.  This is my understanding.  If someone wants to correct me, please provide a reliable source.

From New Advent's Catholic Encyclopedia:

"The classification of private and public prayer is made to denote distinction between the prayer of the individual, whether in or out of the presence of others, for his or for others needs, and all prayer offered officially or liturgically whether in public or in secret, as when a priest recites the Divine Office outside of choir. All the liturgical prayers of the Church are public, as are all the prayers which one in sacred orders offers in his ministerial capacity. These public prayers are usually offered in places set apart for this purpose, in churches or chapels, just as in the Old Law they were offered in the Temple and in the synagogue. Special times are appointed for them: the hours for the various parts of the daily Office, days of rogation or of vigil, seasons of Advent and Lent; and occasions of special need, affliction, thanksgiving, jubilee, on the part of all, or of large numbers of the faithful."

I failed to address the issue of being faithful to the Holy Father.  You claim it is said "a disturbingly large number of times."  It is mentioned once on the home page.  This is very important to make clear to people, so there is no confusion about where the organization stands. 

Text given above is the last paragraph on this page:
 https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm

Quote:Canon 826, §3. Books of prayers for the public or private use of the faithful are not to be published without the permission of the local ordinary.

And I think it would be a stretch to claim that an individual prayer published on the net is exempt from this. Even the little Holy Cards and leaflets containing a prayer are required to be approved under this Canon.

Further, there are only six Litanies approved for public recitation, as explained her on the main site: 
The 6 Litanies Approved for Public Recitation

(05-14-2020, 10:04 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Canon 826, §3. Books of prayers for the public or private use of the faithful are not to be published without the permission of the local ordinary.

And I think it would be a stretch to claim that an individual prayer published on the net is exempt from this. Even the little Holy Cards and leaflets containing a prayer are required to be approved under this Canon.

Further, there are only six Litanies approved for public recitation, as explained her on the main site: 
The 6 Litanies Approved for Public Recitation

Yes I know about the 6 litanies.  As I showed earlier, my devotion is not considered public.  Please read what I put up from the Catholic Encyclopedia.

I think the internet is probably exempt from this.  That is my sincere opinion.  I have never seen anything that said you can't write your own prayer on your own website.  I think it should be fine, as long as you are not claiming it is official.
Now I don't know what to think. I have been looking for something along these lines for some time now.
(05-14-2020, 10:23 PM)CF Mathews Wrote: [ -> ]I think the internet is probably exempt from this.  That is my sincere opinion.  I have never seen anything that said you can't write your own prayer on your own website.  I think it should be fine, as long as you are not claiming it is official.

By what logic would a prayer I wrote and had printed, thus available only to those I could distribute the leaflet to, require approval, but one I wrote and put on the net, thus making it available to anyone in the world with an internet connection, NOT require approval?
Pages: 1 2 3