FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Resources for Discussion with Reformed Protestants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I work with a group of Reformed Protestants (Calvinists). 

A couple of them have been more than willing to discuss with me the Catholic faith. 

The next big issue that one friend wants to discuss is justification and sanctification. I have asked before about this topic here.

What I am looking for is resources that I can use to read up on this topic before I make a presentation of the Catholic case. If anyone knows particular books, articles, videos, etc., that have helped to understand the Catholic theology of salvation, I would be interested in hearing about it.
I wouldn't necessarily share this video with them, as it's quite long and doesn't use the most "diplomatic" language. But it does a good job of showing the distinction between Catholic teaching on justification and the errors of Protestantism.

Although he isn't a traditionalist (as far as I know), this YouTuber has some very good material refuting Protestant errors.  Here is a good sample, where he picks apart the errors of James White (a Reformed Christian, IIRC): 

If you like the video, I'd suggest watching several of his videos on the topic of salvation.  He's rebutted the errors of James White and other Protestants on that topic and many others.
Thank you both.

I've listened to the How To Be Christian guy before, and I think his stuff is great. 

And, though the Dimond Brothers are a little... controversial in traditional quarters their video seems to be a great resource.
(08-25-2020, 11:52 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both.

I've listened to the How To Be Christian guy before, and I think his stuff is great. 

And, though the Dimond Brothers are a little... controversial in traditional quarters their video seems to be a great resource.

Robert Sungenis is one of the best Catholic contra Protestant apologists I have seen.

He has written several books on this topic doing Biblical exegesis: Not By Faith Alone, Not By Scripture Alone.

Here's a pdf where he responds to a Protestant regarding Justification
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_3SZXp_...ysSC4/view

The "debate" he has with CARM protestant apologist Matt Slick is rather embarrasing for Mr. Slick. "Bible Bob" Sungenis mops the floor with him.
(08-25-2020, 11:52 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both.

Right, I wouldn't go to them for a lot of things. But their videos contra Protestantism and Orthodoxy are really well done.
(08-25-2020, 12:16 PM)Augustinian Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't necessarily share this video with them, as it's quite long and doesn't use the most "diplomatic" language. But it does a good job of showing the distinction between Catholic teaching on justification and the errors of Protestantism.

I remember 'storing' justification - regeneration as the same event, but when talking about doctrines they were always separated.