FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good Translations of Extracanonical Scripture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ave Maria!

I am looking for Catholic translations of extracanonical (apocryphal seems too negative a term) books such as 1-3 Enoch, 3 and 4 Maccabees etc. in English. 

I have been interested in getting my hands on such books for a while, and I was just asked by someone else if I knew where to find one of them. Problem is, my cursory glance on the internet didn't turn up anything which I knew would be trustworthy. 

Does anyone know any Catholic, or at least otherwise reliable, English translations of such books and where to find them?
(10-28-2020, 06:55 PM)slave_of_jesus_and_mary Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know any Catholic, or at least otherwise reliable, English translations of such books and where to find them?

(the sound of a can of worms being opened)

No Catholic versions (with imprimatur) that I am aware of. You'll  NEVER see an ecclesiastically-endorsed translation of the Enochian books...since they are not considered "Scripture" by anybody...Christians or Jews.

However, there are reliable English translations of: 3-4 Maccabees, 151st Psalm, Prayer of Manasseh and 1st & 2nd Esdras (called 3rd & 4th Esdras in the appendix of the Vulgate). They are found in the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apochrypha, published in 1977 (RSV translation).