FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What do you cook on Fridays?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I’m curious what other people cook on Fridays.  There’s only so far macaroni and cheese, eggplant parm, and Spanish omelet will take you.  I have tried making lentil, pea, squash, etc. soups, but then all I hear is “soup again?”  Also fish is a no go, but of course super expensive shrimp and scallops are A-OK.

I also have the wrinkle that while I abstain every Friday, some most all of my family doesn’t, even during lent.  I feel guilty if they say “make me a hamburger” and I do.  If they’re NO they’re just required to do some other penance, whatever that means.  I draw the line at lent, though.  If you don’t like what I made, go get your own food.

PS: I make the dogs eat canned tuna or salmon on Friday because I’m insane.
It's a shame you don't do fish - it's nutritious and tasty.  And tuna is so hearty, it gives the same satisfaction as chicken.

In case you change your mind on fish, I make:

Linguine n' clams
Fettuccine zucchini and tuna
Smoked Salmon and veggie sushi bowls
Tuna cakes and salad

Non-fish Friday staples:

Homemade cheese pizza
Falafel and/or baba ganoush pitas
Black bean jalapeno burger
Vegetarian burrito bowls
Any Indian dish - most are vegetarian sauce-based, so use chickpeas, potatoes or paneer instead of meat
Kicked up ramen with veggies
Cajun beans and rice
Veggies stuffed with cheese and/or beans (zucchini or peppers mainly)
(11-06-2020, 05:37 PM)Mourning Dove Wrote: [ -> ]It's a shame you don't do fish - it's nutritious and tasty.  And tuna is so hearty, it gives the same satisfaction as chicken.

In case you change your mind on fish, I make:

Linguine n' clams
Fettuccine zucchini and tuna
Smoked Salmon and veggie sushi bowls
Tuna cakes and salad

Non-fish Friday staples:

Homemade cheese pizza
Falafel and/or baba ganoush pitas
Black bean jalapeno burger
Vegetarian burrito bowls
Any Indian dish - most are vegetarian sauce-based, so use chickpeas, potatoes or paneer instead of meat
Kicked up ramen with veggies
Cajun beans and rice
Veggies stuffed with cheese and/or beans (zucchini or peppers mainly)

I can almost guarantee with the exception of pizza, they wouldn’t eat most of that.  It’s a shame because fish and seafood is delicious.  Except for mussels.  After the aftermath of my last meal of PEI mussels, I swore them off.  I honestly considered if the restaurant sneakily had another meaning besides “Prince Edward Island,” it was that bad.

Another meatless meal that’s been acceptable lately is omurice, but of course no veal demi or chicken with that.  I can assure  you it’s not super fun to make those one at time.
Yeahhhh... my family is very picky too. We eat way too much fried fish and cheese pizza on Fridays. Sometimes I can convince them to eat tuna helper, salmon patties or quinoa, broccoli, and cheese patties. We've done shrimp fried rice or salmon on occasion when we felt fancy. I often make myself a batch of chickpea taco/pita filling because it's really easy. Jeeter has a recipe on the fisheaters recipe thread I think.

I'm not picky at all and would love to eat all manner of hearty soups, Indian food, tofu dishes, veggie lasagna, falafel, ANYTHING... but at this point it's too exhausting to have two separate meals made 3x per day. I just consider my family's picky, boring palette a good penance for myself and I love them anyway lol.
I'm blessed (cursed?) in that my Cuter & Shorter Half is a vegetarian. Tonight we're having vegetarian vegetable soup and bagels'n'cream cheese. Luckily, she doesn't care if I eat meat or fish, as long as I don't cook liver in the house or eat sardines in her presence!
We are not very exciting or adventurous here.  We make cheese pizza every week.  Occasionally I make fish for my husband and myself.
(11-06-2020, 06:50 PM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote: [ -> ]We are not very exciting or adventurous here.  We make cheese pizza every week.  Occasionally I make fish for my husband and myself.

Fish isn't like a penance for me, because it's my favorite food in the world.
Breakfast:
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 an avocado

Lunch
Tuna salad in a bowl
1/2 an avocado

Dinner:
Pressure cooked fish fillets (usually tilapia) in my Instant Pot
Kimchi or green beens
(11-06-2020, 07:29 PM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2020, 06:50 PM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote: [ -> ]We are not very exciting or adventurous here.  We make cheese pizza every week.  Occasionally I make fish for my husband and myself.

Fish isn't like a penance for me, because it's my favorite food in the world.
Same...unless it is shellfish - which I am allergic to.  Then it would be a severe penance!
I love fish friday, because I love fish and seafood. 

For picky fish eaters, the white type arent as bold in fishy taste, as to salmon, tuna, swordfish or trout. Here where I live we have easy access and affordable Turbot or Sole. The point of friday dinner is to be meatless. I cook a lot of vegetarian meals during the week so fish fridays are my favourite! Every meal is always with fresh veggies and blessings. 

(Tuna or other seafood are also easier in a pasta sauce I find)
Pages: 1 2