FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hello from Utah
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone. My name is Chad and I come to you from Utah. I am a cradle Catholic. In fact the parish I currently attend is the same one where my grandparents where married, dad baptized, parents married, I was baptized, and married here as well. 

I met the love of life in HS we dated but she was mormon, I ended it fairly early and advised that I didn't feel comfortable getting serious with someone out of my faith. I told her I have no plans for conversion. Fast forward a few years we ran into each other again while in college, she transferred to mine my JR year. We went for coffee and re connected. And she advised me she was planning to leave her mormon faith and was happy to see me. We talked for hours. Anyways she ended up going through RCIA and we ended up married. We have been married for ten years and have been blessed with two wonderful children.

I am a 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus and attend mass regularly each week. But in the last year I have been doing more research, questioning things, having more in depth conversations with priests, and not questioning the faith but more the faithful. I have been deeply saddened by the US Bishops supporting Biden and Harris, and their love affair with abortion. Then appalled at how many supposed Catholics are for this as well. I just do not understand. My parish has changed around me and has become more liberal. But I do not know what to do! My wife teaches at the catholic school and my kids attend. Even the liberal agenda is in our catholic schools! I know not what to do!

Living in Utah which is predominantly mormon we don't have a lot of options here. All of our parishes are the same it seems. There is one Maronite church, and one Carmelite Monastery but the bishop won't allow service there because of covid. I'm just at a loss. 

How do I keep the faith strong in my family? When it seems to be crumbling around me? 

My wife loves to teach and sees teaching at a Catholic school as her calling she does wonderful work, but I question some of her peers motives. 

Any advice would be welcomed.
My two cents, Chadster: https://www.fisheaters.com/surviving.html

I hope you check the links on that page, and totally urge you to read this link in particular: https://www.fisheaters.com/traditionalca...sm101.html

Glad you're here :)
Hi Chadster, welcome aboard.
(11-11-2020, 01:56 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]My two cents, Chadster: https://www.fisheaters.com/surviving.html

I hope you check the links on that page, and totally urge you to read this link in particular: https://www.fisheaters.com/traditionalca...sm101.html

Glad you're here :)

Thanks for the info. There is a lot of info there to read.

I wish I could find a more traditional mass here in Utah. But so far my research is coming up with 0.
Welcome to the Tank! I hope you enjoy your swim.
Chad, we are also in Utah.  There is a lovely Latin Mass community at Saint Mary’s in Park City. Currently we have Latin Mass at 3 pm on Sundays. We are usually a very social group but COVID restrictions have made that more difficult. This is a diocesan parish so most of what is offered is NO but the Traditional elements is growing.
Greetings Chadster, welcome, welcome!! These aren't easy times, to be sure. Keep the Catholic Faith. Hold fast, is all I can really say right now, other than I understand what you're going through. To some extent or another I believe we all do.
St. Martin de Porres in Taylorsville has a 2pm Latin Mass too, according to their bulletin?

My advice would be to stay close to the Eucharist as the source and summit of our Christian life.  I am blessed locally to have many traditional or reverent Masses available on a daily basis, but even in periods where I had no such access, by looking through the liberal silliness to see the beauty of the Sacrament, my spiritual life was preserved and fostered.  It can even serve as a opportunity for charity and humility as well, to pray for those partaking in such silliness and irreverence without letting your heart become jaded by it or hardened against them. But pray as well that reverence for the Holy Eucharist may be increased.

This is neither here nor there, but I teach classes for clergy on the Traditional Latin Mass, and am willing to travel.  If you know of a priest locally who might wish to learn but not have the resources, feel free to reach out to me and put us in contact.  (And to anyone else reading this from the larger Internet, the offer stands for you as well!)
(11-11-2020, 08:38 PM)Maurisa Wrote: [ -> ]Chad, we are also in Utah.  There is a lovely Latin Mass community at Saint Mary’s in Park City. Currently we have Latin Mass at 3 pm on Sundays. We are usually a very social group but COVID restrictions have made that more difficult. This is a diocesan parish so most of what is offered is NO but the Traditional elements is growing.

Interesting that the TLM is not listed on the Parish website. I have a Facebook friend who is a Trad leaning Priest in Utah. I thought he might be your Pastor so I looked up the website. Nope. Don't know either of your Priests.

However, it is also not listed on either the Traditional Latin Mass Venues in the United States or the Ecclesia Dei TLM Directory (of course, this one is only a 'taste' to get you to buy their hardcopy directory for $2.00).
(11-11-2020, 08:38 PM)Maurisa Wrote: [ -> ]Chad, we are also in Utah.  There is a lovely Latin Mass community at Saint Mary’s in Park City. Currently we have Latin Mass at 3 pm on Sundays. We are usually a very social group but COVID restrictions have made that more difficult. This is a diocesan parish so most of what is offered is NO but the Traditional elements is growing.

Thank you. I really enjoy Saint Mary's it is a beautiful church. I was unaware about the Latin Mass there. We live in West Jordan, and with two very young children that is quite the travel time in the winter months. But I think come spring time we will try get up there a few times for the 3PM mass.

(11-11-2020, 10:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]St. Martin de Porres in Taylorsville has a 2pm Latin Mass too, according to their bulletin?

My advice would be to stay close to the Eucharist as the source and summit of our Christian life.  I am blessed locally to have many traditional or reverent Masses available on a daily basis, but even in periods where I had no such access, by looking through the liberal silliness to see the beauty of the Sacrament, my spiritual life was preserved and fostered.  It can even serve as a opportunity for charity and humility as well, to pray for those partaking in such silliness and irreverence without letting your heart become jaded by it or hardened against them. But pray as well that reverence for the Holy Eucharist may be increased.

This is neither here nor there, but I teach classes for clergy on the Traditional Latin Mass, and am willing to travel.  If you know of a priest locally who might wish to learn but not have the resources, feel free to reach out to me and put us in contact.  (And to anyone else reading this from the larger Internet, the offer stands for you as well!)

Thank you for the info. I know the priest very well at St. Martin De Porres, Father Dominic is a Dominican priest and one that has helped guide me spiritually the last few years. I believe that when he was reassigned to that parish back in August I think the Latin Mass has been put on hold due to Covid. But I will be sure to talk with him about the Latin Mass and if the website is accurate. Talking to fellow knights that attend that parish they all mentioned no Latin Mass, but they could just not know about it. Thankfully where I attend currently at St. Francis Xavier we got a new associate pastor and his mass is doing very well, and I have had some good conversations with him. He is definitely more traditional than you average priest. But I am still yearning for more if that makes sense.
Pages: 1 2