FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Lord's Name in Vain..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Before I returned to the Church I had a bad habit of say "Jesus Christ" or "Christ" when I was surprised or frustrated.  That was a while ago, but every once in a while it'll slip out and I immediately regret it.  I think to myself, "time to go to confession".

I was driving to see mom and got cut off, there I go saying again.  Remembering something stupid I did, and whisper it under my breath. 

Mortal sin or no?  I've been treating it as such, but I'm not sure if my confessor thinks so in these circumstances.

Thoughts?
Yes, it is and you are correct to confess it.  Unless you go to confession every day and confess that sin every day, and even then you’d still be in the right, your confessor shouldn’t say anything.  I hate to put it this way, but he should be glad you take sin seriously.
Careless use of our Lord's name is generally no more than a venial sin because it is done with so little deliberate intent.

But if anyone should possess this bad habit, he would do well to exterminate it, the sooner the better. Frequent confession of this sin (should one commit it frequently) assists in achieving this.
There are 3 conditions for mortal sin:

1. Its subject matter must be grave.
  2. It must be committed with full knowledge and awareness of the gravity of the offense.
  3. It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent.
In the case you mentioned 2 and 3 may be questionable, but I am not a priest.

Should you confess it, absolutely.
Should you try to stop, absolutely.

In matter's like this stick to a priest/confessor/spiritual director's guidance.
(12-11-2020, 03:01 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]There are 3 conditions for mortal sin:

1. Its subject matter must be grave.
  2. It must be committed with full knowledge and awareness of the gravity of the offense.
  3. It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent.

Should you confess it, absolutely.
Should you try to stop, absolutely.

In matter's like this stick to a priest/confessor/spiritual director's guidance.

I’d also like to add, if it bothers you and weighs you down, even if it doesn’t fulfill the requirements, still confess it.
(12-11-2020, 04:06 PM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]I’d also like to add, if it bothers you and weighs you down, even if it doesn’t fulfill the requirements, still confess it.

Yeah, I try to do that as well.  Nothing wrong with confessing venial sins, but don't get carried away if there's a long line. :)
Just go to a NO parish, you’ll be the only one in line.
(12-11-2020, 03:01 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ][*]It must be committed with full knowledge and awareness of the gravity of the offense.
[*]It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent.
[/list]

I don't think it's questionable in the case he explained.  Most people, when they stub their toe or whatever that causes them to react with blurting out our Lord's name, are not performing any deliberation and giving any consent to what they're doing.  It's a knee-jerk reaction.  If somebody puts some thought into saying something blasphemous against our Lord, that would be quite different.

(12-11-2020, 04:23 PM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]Just go to a NO parish, you’ll be the only one in line.

Not always true, but unfortunately a common case (and also being there well in advance of the fifteen-minute window they have for confessions, and the priest is still not three three minutes after confession time was supposed to start.  Meanwhile, Scrupulous Suzy also got in line in front of me, and she's always at least seven minutes in there.  Am I even going to get a chance?

The struggle is real).
(12-11-2020, 04:23 PM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]Just go to a NO parish, you’ll be the only one in line.

Okay.  Seriously, jokes like this need to stop.  They turn people away, and they aren't even funny.  

And it's just not true, whenever I go to an NO church for confession there's usually a fair amount of people in line, to the point where sometimes I don't make it in before the priest has to say Mass.
(12-11-2020, 05:00 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay.  Seriously, jokes like this need to stop.  They turn people away, and they aren't even funny.  

And it's just not true, whenever I go to an NO church for confession there's usually a fair amount of people in line, to the point where sometimes I don't make it in before the priest has to say Mass.

It is in poor taste, but it's an commentary on the unfortunate reality of many NO parishes.

A confession line so long at a NO parish that you can't get in before the priest has to leave for Mass is not the normal experience for many of us. For many of us, it's that nobody shows up, sometimes not even the priest.
Pages: 1 2 3