FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I hope they find life on Mars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
or at least remnants of it
and the atmosphere of Venus too
the universe is an explosion of life from the heart of God
(02-24-2021, 09:42 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: [ -> ]or at least remnants of it
and the atmosphere of Venus too
the universe is an explosion of life from the heart of God

Do you mean ANY life at all? Or are you referring to intelligent life only?
I think we'll eventually discover animal life on other planets, at least.  If it's true that we are the only rational beings in the universe, then it seems likely that God created distant stars and planets for us to expand to and populate there as well.  Earth has its limits for how many people it can sustain - even if we haven't actually reached that limit yet.
(02-25-2021, 01:28 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I think we'll eventually discover animal life on other planets, at least.  If it's true that we are the only rational beings in the universe, then it seems likely that God created distant stars and planets for us to expand to and populate there as well.  Earth has its limits for how many people it can sustain - even if we haven't actually reached that limit yet.

What if the entire cosmos (apart from our solar system) had been created for no other reason than to set in motion the celestial event that produced the Star of Bethlehem?
There's no reason to believe that anything more complex than algae will be discovered on other planets. Mars is far too cold for life on the surface. It is smaller than the Earth and the gravity is less than what we experience. There is some evidence that liquid water exists about a mile beneath the surface, and that there is water ice only inches below the surface in some areas.

There is no reason to believe Venus has any life.

Without a faster than light drive, it is impossible for people to travel to possibly habitable planets that are light years away. If it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would take years to reach the nearest star. What would the astronauts eat on the way?
(02-25-2021, 01:28 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I think we'll eventually discover animal life on other planets, at least.  If it's true that we are the only rational beings in the universe, then it seems likely that God created distant stars and planets for us to expand to and populate there as well.  Earth has its limits for how many people it can sustain - even if we haven't actually reached that limit yet.

I feel like he put those planets and stars at such a great distance away to assure that we wouldn't reach them, our home is here.

I think that the stars are for us to understand something about God and ourselves. Or at the very least, for the purpose of praising and reflecting his beauty and greatness.
(02-25-2021, 01:48 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: [ -> ]

What if the entire cosmos (apart from our solar system) had been created for no other reason than to set in motion the celestial event that produced the Star of Bethlehem?

If it was a conjunction of planets, then probably only our solar system would have been necessary.  If it was a conjunction of stars, nothing outside our galaxy would have been necessary.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would pass scrutiny.