FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Suing as Catholic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have to sue someone.  I am honest with my attorney. This is regarding property where I'm being taken advantage of.

My husband says don't worry, but it involves a lot of money being taken from my family.

I don't want materialism. Just justice.
Please share your perspective..
Thank you.
Tell the truth. Accept the result. If your lawyer does something dishonest, fire him, and find another.
(02-28-2021, 03:40 PM)AnaCarolina1 Wrote: [ -> ]I currently have to sue someone.  I am honest with my attorney. This is regarding property where I'm being taken advantage of.

My husband says don't worry, but it involves a lot of money being taken from my family.

I don't want materialism. Just justice.
Please share your perspective..
Thank you.

Well, what are you suing for? You don’t have to be too specific, but are you simply looking to be compensated for something that was damaged/broken? If so, I can understand taking legal action to ensure you’re indemnified. However, if it’s a lawsuit for “pain and suffering” (i.e. legal revenge), then I would definitely advise against it.
No nothing like that. My deceased mom told me my mentally ill sister r and nephew cannot take care of themselves. They take no meds even though theare supposed to. She wrote this in a note and it's in her will
I am co owner with different nephew. It costs him nothing to have these poor people live there, he has room in his 800k house for them so I am litigating a forced sale on a ,1.6 million dollar property. A brownstone in NYC. He needs to get them help and only visits to collect rent from a tenent as it's 2 family home.. i live far away out of state

Meanwhile, my coowners nephew fil asked how can ii sleep at night doing this.
OK. I’m glad to hear you have a lawyer. All the best, and God Bless!
Couple of questions. Are you having to subsidize the brownstone, as it pay money out of pocket to cover, utilities, insurance, taxes, repairs etc? Or are you saying that your family is loosing money that could be paid to you in rent by your relatives, or from the sale of the brownstone?

Your OP says money is being taken from your family, that could mean various things.

Has the brownstone devalued since you inherited it, or is it still increasing in value (it is NYC property prices are crazy I would guess)? Is its value changing at a rate greater or less than what you could get in other secured investments?

Have you offered to have your nephew purchase your half out?
It's basically even..but my mom told me different. A 500.00 rent portion on goes to me free and clear after utilies insurance and repairs. Sis was to supposed to have a trust. I so far got no money and sis has no trust
My nephew is executor because she wanted her other daughter  and grandson watched.
My nephew offered me  350.000 on a 1.6 property. My lawyer said he's an opportunist the property value is current. My ill sister sold all jewelry and nephew says she's poor and eats at food pantries. Meanwhile he lives 15 minutes away.

My sister and nephew need help, but have no concept of money. She buys cigarettes instead of food. My mother and deceased father's wedding set, engagement rings and 50 years of jewel ry gone as well as china.
I have an experienced lawyer. ...my husband chose this guy and said he will eat my nephew for breakfast..lunch too.
Not very Catholic to say and my lawyer is not Catholic, I know. All business, no sympathy.
My only suggestion is that if lawyer thinks sale will be successful is to ensure that the other half of the proceeds, (not your half) be set up in a trust for your sister's care. Have an independent 3rd party manage the trust with provisions to provide housing, food, medical care to your sister and some personal spending money.

This will rectify the lack of trust your mother wanted to have set up, ensure your sister is cared for and that your nephew can not skim the money and leave his mother homeless.

It would be a win, win if it can be done. Very Catholic approach in that you are caring for those who can not manage for themselves, and ensures that you are made financially whole.

It would cost a bit to have the trust managed, but that is the price they would pay for having to have a 3rd party do something that your nephew should already be doing for his loved ones.

One problem from all of this, is the lawyers know how much $ is at stake, and if it s dragged out for a long time they could end up with the lions share.
Pages: 1 2