FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Looking for a Clementine Vulgate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?
(04-08-2021, 10:11 AM)IudicaMe Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?

Some time ago I wrote a short article listing all possibilities, you can read it here
I recommend Madrid Clementine, available from American Classical League, link in the article above.

I own several Latin Bibles, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.
(04-09-2021, 12:51 PM)PangeLingua Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2021, 10:11 AM)IudicaMe Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to find a nice copy of the Clementine Vulgate sine D-R translation. Does anyone know of any that are available?

Some time ago I wrote a short article listing all possibilities, you can read it here
I recommend Madrid Clementine, available from American Classical League, link in the article above.

Gratias tibi!
This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?w...#tab=tab-1
(04-10-2021, 03:04 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: [ -> ]This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

It really depends on what one wants to achieve.

If somebody wants to improve Latin reading skills, it is certainly much better to read Latin, not English :-)

When you have the translation available on the opposite page, and you encounter a more difficult fragment in the Latin test, you will be tempted to simply read the translation - and this is precisely what you want to avoid at all costs. Personally I do not have strong enough will to resist such temptations, therefore I avoid books with side-by-side translation like a plague.

You have to learn how to handle difficult fragments by parsing them on your own - there is no other way.
(04-09-2021, 12:51 PM)PangeLingua Wrote: [ -> ]

I concur, the Madrid Clementine is the really the best option out there for a complete Clementine Vulgate bible with all of the 'bells and whistles' (introductions, cross references, etc...)
Used copies can be found on eBay or Abebooks if you don't want to spend $80 on a new one.

I do offer a simple 'text only' edition that is more affordable. I have a standard and large size, both offered in hard or soft cover.

I made a pledge to myself that I would not use my membership here to advertise my own publications, but at the same time I don't want to deny help to someone looking for a particular book or resource that I might coincidentally offer. Using prudence I offer you these links:

Clementine Vulgate

I have several copies on hand, available on eBay
(04-10-2021, 04:52 PM)PangeLingua Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2021, 03:04 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: [ -> ]This is a nice bible a little pricey but has the DR and Clementine Vulgate side by side.

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

It really depends on what one wants to achieve.

If somebody wants to improve Latin reading skills, it is certainly much better to read Latin, not English :-)

When you have the translation available on the opposite page, and you encounter a more difficult fragment in the Latin test, you will be tempted to simply read the translation - and this is precisely what you want to avoid at all costs. Personally I do not have strong enough will to resist such temptations, therefore I avoid books with side-by-side translation like a plague.

You have to learn how to handle difficult fragments by parsing them on your own - there is no other way.

I appreciate your input and knowledge however I own this bible and love it. I admit I am not fluent in latin but I have little doubt I'll have no problem getting a grasp with this edition. I guess I learn things different from other folks. Either way it was a suggestion and one I thought would be a good one. God Bless.
M encantan los arquitectos que hicieron estas grandes iglesias dl mundo, estos temas causan cuirosidad pero no dejo de tener mi fe intacta