FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Pius XII's Breviarium with the Vulgate Psalms (not Bea's)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon:

We are looking for a set of Pius XII Breviaries (4) in Latin that have the Psalms of the Vulgate (we don't want Bea's!), please. Does anyone know how we can find them? What name do they have and what year would they be from? (of course: they have to be before Vatican Council II). Publisher? Or if, perhaps, someone can sell us these Breviaries, we would be very grateful.

Greetings in Jesus and Mary!
(04-12-2021, 06:51 PM)LectorCatólico Wrote: [ -> ]Good afternoon:

We are looking for a set of Pius XII Breviaries (4) in Latin that have the Psalms of the Vulgate (we don't want Bea's!), please. Does anyone know how we can find them? What name do they have and what year would they be from? (of course: they have to be before Vatican Council II). Publisher? Or if, perhaps, someone can sell us these Breviaries, we would be very grateful.

Greetings in Jesus and Mary!

Here is one recently published in two volumes.

Here is a link to the information regarding layout, typeface, etc. It says, 

We include:
  • intelligent and user-friendly divisions and organisation of the various sections of the breviary,

• use of the traditional Vulgate psalm translation,

• according to the rubrics of Bl. Pope John XXIII,

• the traditional two columns for text,

• premium quality illustrations and vignettes,

• the most important litanies and blessings of the Rituale Romanum, found in the appendix next to commonly said prayers,

• a set of 8 separate prayer cards (two of which are folded, with four pages each) and

• innumerable minor details which have been adjusted in order to alleviate strain or fatigue while using the volumes.
And here's the link to ordering information.
I think before 1945 is safe if you want to avoid the weird Psalter. I have a set with the weird Psalter. Fortunately, certain sections of it still has the Vulgate.

Here's a sample comparison:

https://www.ccwatershed.org/wp-content/u...ter-KR.pdf
(04-12-2021, 10:56 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is one recently published in two volumes.

We include:
  • according to the rubrics of Bl. Pope John XXIII,

That would be a 1960 Breviary, not the earlier edition as reformed by St Pius X.

Depending on what exactly the OP is looking for, somewhere like eBay might be the best place to find older Breviaries. I don't know of a new version of anything from before 1960, since that's the currently-approved edition. If he's looking for something with the Pius XII reforms from 1955, including things like suppression of Semidoubles, the Pope specifically ordered that no new edition was to be printed.
The four-volume set from before the 1960 changes nearly universally have the neo-Psalter from about 1945 onwards. 

That was when the neo-Psalter was approved for use, and I have not seen any Vulgate Breviary from 1945-1960.

That doesn't mean they don't exists, but I've looked at lots of Breviaries in used books shops and libraries before and have found exactly zero that have the whole Vulgate after 1945 and before 1960.

By 1960 there was a bit of a wave of anti-Bea Psalm folks, so many of the 1960 Breviaries use the Vulgate again.

Mame, the publisher, I think included both Vulgate and Bea in parts, but I don't know if it have both in their entirety.
I know somebody who uses a breviary published by Benzinger Brothers in 1942. Difficult to find.
I'm surprised the Baronius Press Breviary hasn't been mentioned.

It is in bilingual (English and Latin) but "St. Jerome's traditional Gallican Psalter from the Vulgate is used throughout."

https://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=59#tab=tab-1
MONEIL!!! Where have you been?