FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin prayer translation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have the Latin for this particular prayer?  I can't seem to find it, but I think I have a fairly close translation...with the exception of "departed" that is.

May the Divine Assistance remain always with us, and may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Divínum auxílium máneat semper nobíscum. Et fidélium ánimæ per misericórdiam Dei requiescant in pace. Amen.
Your translation of the second half is correct. The word "departed" does not appear in the Latin eternal rest prayer, probably because we wouldn't pray for the souls of the living to rest in peace.
That's the correct prayer. And it's the English, not the Latin, that's the translation. The first part is used in the Office, after the seasonal Marian Antiphon, and before the 8th Lesson. The second, of course, is the usual prayer for the dead in the liturgy, and used many places, including at the end of each Hour of the Office.
(04-13-2021, 10:15 AM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]That's the correct prayer. And it's the English, not the Latin, that's the translation. The first part is used in the Office, after the seasonal Marian Antiphon, and before the 8th Lesson. The second, of course, is the usual prayer for the dead in the liturgy, and used many places, including at the end of each Hour of the Office.

it was a translation because I translated it...
(04-13-2021, 10:44 AM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2021, 10:15 AM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]That's the correct prayer. And it's the English, not the Latin, that's the translation. The first part is used in the Office, after the seasonal Marian Antiphon, and before the 8th Lesson. The second, of course, is the usual prayer for the dead in the liturgy, and used many places, including at the end of each Hour of the Office.

I recognize it as one of the prayers sometimes offered at the end of the Rosary.  Are you looking for the opening and closing Rosary prayers in Latin?
(04-13-2021, 10:46 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2021, 10:44 AM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]

I recognize it as one of the prayers sometimes offered at the end of the Rosary.  Are you looking for the opening and closing Rosary prayers in Latin?

I have those, but thanks.  It was just this one prayer in particular.
I go here for Latin prayers:  https://www.preces-latinae.org/index.htm

I did not find your prayer there.