FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can converts receive the Sacrament of Confession?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't get a straight answer on this. I'm a convert attending an SSPX parrish and my priest says that I can go to confession if I want but that I can't receive absolution. Online there doesn't seem to be any real consensus about this. I read the thread yesterday about how many go to hell and I have had a very sinful life. I've been to confession before, about 3 months ago. 
     If I do go should I tell the priest that I am a convert but not yet Catholic?
(04-13-2021, 12:24 PM)convert145 Wrote: [ -> ]I can't get a straight answer on this. I'm a convert attending an SSPX parrish and my priest says that I can go to confession if I want but that I can't receive absolution. Online there doesn't seem to be any real consensus about this. I read the thread yesterday about how many go to hell and I have had a very sinful life. I've been to confession before, about 3 months ago. 
Sounds like you're a catechuman, not a "convert".  Once you are officially received into the Church via baptism and/or confirmation, you will then be a "convert" and then you may confess and receive absolution.

And yes...if you go to confession before you're received into the Church, DO tell the priest that you are a catechuman, not yet Catholic.
If you are not yet confirmed, that is to say officially received into the Church, you are not yet Catholic.  The priest was 100% correct to advise you that you may confess (if a priest would be willing to hear it), but wouldn’t receive absolution.

I believe there might possibly be “life and death” situations where there would be an exception, but again, that is not the rule.

May I ask when you expect to be received into the Church?  It sounds like you may be receiving RCIA instruction, or equivalent private instruction from this priest.

If you’re having trouble finding answers about Catholicism, this is always a good place to start:
https://www.catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/
(04-13-2021, 12:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2021, 12:24 PM)convert145 Wrote: [ -> ]I can't get a straight answer on this. I'm a convert attending an SSPX parrish and my priest says that I can go to confession if I want but that I can't receive absolution. Online there doesn't seem to be any real consensus about this. I read the thread yesterday about how many go to hell and I have had a very sinful life. I've been to confession before, about 3 months ago. 
Sounds like you're a catechuman, not a "convert".  Once you are officially received into the Church via baptism and/or confirmation, you will then be a "convert" and then you may confess and receive absolution.

And yes...if you go to confession before you're received into the Church, DO tell the priest that you are a catechuman, not yet Catholic.
I am baptized but not fully brought into the Church. I didn't know if the term "catechumen" was only for people in RCIA which I'm not doing anymore. Just one on one with a priest. It's just so uncomfortable to be told I can't receive absolution in confession because I understand the sacrament and desperately want it ASAP.
(04-13-2021, 12:34 PM)convert145 Wrote: [ -> ]

I am baptized but not fully brought into the Church. I didn't know if the term "catechumen" was only for people in RCIA which I'm not doing anymore. Just one on one with a priest. It's just so uncomfortable to be told I can't receive absolution in confession because I understand the sacrament and desperately want it ASAP.
You are still a catechuman, until officially received into the Church, in your case via Confirmation, assuming that your baptism is recognized by the Church.

I sympathize with you about your discomfort, but the spiritual life is often replete with it.  When you are confirmed you will be able to receive absolution after confession.
(04-13-2021, 12:33 PM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]If you are not yet confirmed, that is to say officially received into the Church, you are not yet Catholic.  The priest was 100% correct to advise you that you may confess (if a priest would be willing to hear it), but wouldn’t receive absolution.

I believe there might possibly be “life and death” situations where there would be an exception, but again, that is not the rule.

May I ask when you expect to be received into the Church?  It sounds like you may be receiving RCIA instruction, or equivalent private instruction from this priest.

If you’re having trouble finding answers about Catholicism, this is always a good place to start:
https://www.catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/

I'm in the process of instruction with a priest but we are only able to meet once a week. He hasn't given me any particular timetable but I am anxious to proceed. I've been attending mass regularly for a little over a year and am fairly well catechized I think. Most of my info has been from the Baltimore Catechism and this site as well as whatever personal questions for my priest.
     I spent a few months in an RCIA program at a NO parish but it was taught by a divorced female EM and some of the teachings were bizarre. "Fear of the Lord is mistranslation and an outdated way of thinking..." Etc. 
     So I found this SSPX parrish and have been one on one with the priest for a few months. I just want to Confess and to take the Eucharist. I don't want to rush anything inappropriately but I am worried about my soul and my family's souls.

Unfortunately, that’s part of being obedient.  If, heaven forbid, you should die before your first confession, the Lord would know of your sincere desire for the sacrament.  It is nothing to despair about.
(04-13-2021, 12:39 PM)Pandora Wrote: [ -> ]

Unfortunately, that’s part of being obedient.  If, heaven forbid, you should die before your first confession, the Lord would know of your sincere desire for the sacrament.  It is nothing to despair about.
You're right, and I just went to Confession anyways, telling the priest that I was a baptized catechumen. I feel better, but I'm still anxious to become Catholic. If I had just stayed in the RCIA program I would already be confirmed. Pray for me and my family, please.
Your situation reminds me of this section on Baptism in the Catechism of the Council of Trent:

"On adults, however, the Church has not been accustomed to confer the Sacrament of Baptism at
once, but has ordained that it be deferred for a certain time. The delay is not attended with the
same danger as in the case of infants, which we have already mentioned; should any unforeseen
accident make it impossible for adults to be washed in the salutary waters, their intention and
determination to receive Baptism and their repentance for past sins, will avail them to grace and
righteousness."

Although you were previously Baptized it seems fitting that this apply to you as well seeing as you are not fully integrated into the Church. You could also bring your concerns to the priest. 

Here is a PDF of the Catechism of the Council of Trent if you are interested. https://www.catholicsociety.com/document..._Trent.pdf
I guess the Baltimore Catechism wasn’t trad enough
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5