FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What are conservative Novus Ordo Catholics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I've seen references made to conservative Novus Ordo Catholics.  How would you define this?  I think I know what this means, but I am interested in your thoughts.
It's just all the people who haven't yet had the chance to fall in love with the TLM.

Oh, and they probably struggle with Americanism and dispute a doctrine or two. But not as egregiously as the libs
I would probably define it as something like this: a Catholic who accepts Vatican II and the resulting "Novus Ordo" and who does not believe they were a rupture with past teaching.
I'll clarify what I mean by "resulting 'Novus Ordo'" by saying I mean the post-Vatican II magisterial teachings and laws, and the NO sacraments.
(07-19-2021, 08:36 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]I would probably define it as something like this: a Catholic who accepts Vatican II and the resulting "Novus Ordo" and who does not believe they were a rupture with past teaching.

SeekerofChrsit, it’s good to see you.
I have to ask: what has brought about such a change in your outlook, if you don’t mind my asking?
I only ask as you had very different perspectives previously.
I’m happy you’re no longer sedevacantist (something I was once, myself), but you seem to have come across something that radically changed your views.
(07-19-2021, 08:45 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-19-2021, 08:36 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]I would probably define it as something like this: a Catholic who accepts Vatican II and the resulting "Novus Ordo" and who does not believe they were a rupture with past teaching.

SeekerofChrsit, it’s good to see you.
I have to ask: what has brought about such a change in your outlook, if you don’t mind my asking?
I only ask as you had very different perspectives previously.
I’m happy you’re no longer sedevacantist (something I was once, myself), but you seem to have come across something that radically changed your views.

Back in early February, I mentioned in a thread (to Clare, IIRC) that I would be reexamining the case for sedevacantism.  That was really only completed a few days ago, to be honest with you.  That's the short version of it.  If you'd like a more detailed discussion, please feel free to send me a PM.  I don't want to derail Clare's thread nor potentially enter into a debate with others about how I've ended up where I am at.
To use an analogy that probably is less than accurate....

A "conservative Novus Ordo Catholic" would read The Wanderer on a regular basis.

Whereas an average Traditional Catholic would probably read The Remnant or Catholic Family News on a regular basis.
I'd second seekerofchrist's definition.

I'm not sure if it's really the most helpful term though.  

If you were to ask me a couple of years ago I would have said in meant anything from non-sspx/sedevacantist Catholics who were well meaning but ignorant, to modernists who were just a bit more conservative.

It seems like it's used more often as an insult than as an accurate way of describing someone.
How about, Catholics who have proven that they don't need to attend Latin Mass to be prayerful, charitable, accept all of the Church's teachings, go to Mass Sundays and Holy Days, embrace the sacraments, can get by just fine without badmouthing the bishops and Holy Father, haven't heard or don't pay attention to Vigano, Taylor Marshall, or other trad celebrities, and are overall more common than many Traditionalists give credit for?
(07-19-2021, 09:56 PM)LionHippo Wrote: [ -> ]How about, Catholics who have proven that they don't need to attend Latin Mass to be prayerful, charitable, accept all of the Church's teachings, go to Mass Sundays and Holy Days, embrace the sacraments, can get by just fine without badmouthing the bishops and Holy Father, haven't heard or don't pay attention to Vigano, Taylor Marshall, or other trad celebrities, and are overall more common than many Traditionalists give credit for?

Oh, you mean emulating Christ with the help of the Sacraments like Catholics are supposed to? Yeah, that sounds about right.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8