FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Essential trad Cat library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(07-22-2021, 12:58 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 12:42 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Theology of the Body - St Pope John Paul II
Salt and Light - Mark P Shea
Building a Bridge - Fr James Martin SJw
Let us Dream - Pope Francis
Does God Exist - Hans Kung
Laudato Si - Pope Francis
Joe Biden and the Catholicsm in the US - Massimo Faggioli
Fratelli Tutti - Pope Francis

I have reported this anticatholic hate speech to the administrators and will pray for you.

So rigid, ironically how very Mark P Shea of you!

ROFL
>D
(07-22-2021, 12:42 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Theology of the Body - St Pope John Paul II
Unironic question but what is the problem with the Theology of the Body?
Thanks for this thread.  I was literally looking to cash in my Audible credits when I came here to search for suggestions.  I was foolish to go for a free month's subscription in order to get an Amazon discount, and I wonder if any trad texts are available in audio form on that site.  Now, I've got a backlog of listening to do.  

Austenbosten's list made me chuckle as I was reminded of a story my buddy told me of a priest who walked into a cathedral bookstore and gathered up a stack of books to place on the checkout counter, leaving the cashier salivating over a big sale.  The priest said, "These books have all been banned by the Catholic Church and must leave these premises immediately."  I doubt that the order was carried out.
(07-22-2021, 01:42 PM)Ambrosiano Wrote: [ -> ]Austenbosten's list made me chuckle as I was reminded of a story my buddy told me of a priest who walked into a cathedral bookstore and gathered up a stack of books to place on the checkout counter, leaving the cashier salivating over a big sale.  The priest said, "These books have all been banned by the Catholic Church and must leave these premises immediately."  I doubt that the order was carried out.

I've thought of causing a stink at the local Catholic bookstore over the James Martin books and other trash on the shelves.

But I don't think we spend nearly enough there to have any sway...
Someone on Twitter asked that such a list be added to the site, so I'm working on that now. So far I have:

Religious/spiritual:
Douay-Rheims version of the Bible
Augustine: City of God
Augustine: Confessions
Aquinas: Summa Theologica (or, more realistically, a compendium for the layman)
Baltimore Catechisms 1-4
Butler, Fr. Alban: Lives of the Saints
Teresa of Avila: The Interior Castle
Thomas a Kempis: The Imitation of Christ
Ignatius of Loyola: Spiritual Exercises
Belloc, Hillaire: The Servile State
Chesterton, G. K.: Orthodoxy
Chesterton, G. K.: Everlasting Man
Denzinger, Henry: The Sources of Catholic Dogma
Lewis, C. S.: The Screwtape Letters
Lewis, C. S.:  Mere Christianity
Lewis, C. S.:  The Abolition of Man
Ott, Ludwig: Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
Salvany, Felix Sarda y: Liberalism is a Sin

Literature:
Alighieri, Dante: The Divine Comedy
Fyodor: Crime and Punishment
Dostoevesky, Fyodor: The Brothers Karamazov
Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Devils
Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Idiot
Golding, William: Lord of the Flies
Huxley, Aldous: Brave New World
Orwell, George: 1984
Orwell, George: Animal Farm
Shakespeare: Collected Works
Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr: The Gulag Archipelago
Vonnegut, Kurt: Harrison Bergeron (short story)
Short story collections by Edgar Allan Poe, Guy de Maupassant, Shirley Jackson, Flannery O'Connor

Political (for Americans):
Hamilton, Alexander; Jefferson, Thomas; John Jay: The Federalist Papers
De Tocqueville, Alexis: Democracy in America
Kennedy, David M.: The American Pageant: A History of the Republic

For kids:
The Victory Drill Book:  a clear and comprehensive phonics-based reading system for kids learning to read
Aesop: collected fables
Anderson, Hans Christian: collected fairy tales
The Brothers Grimm: collected fairy tales
Mother Goose: collected fairy tales and nursery rhymes
Alcott, Louisa May Alcott: Little Women
Carroll, Lewis:  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Carroll, Lewis:  Through the Looking-Glass (the sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
Kipling, Rudyard: Just So Stories for Little Children
Malory, Thomas: The Boy's King Arthur, edited by Sidney Lanier, ilustrations by N.C. Wyeth
Pyle, Howard: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The "Little House" books: an eight-book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Nancy Drew book series: Best to stick to those published before 1959, and definitely to those published before 1980.
The Hardy Boys book series: Best to stick to those published before 1959, and definitely to those published before 1980.
Adams Synchronological Chart or Map of History 
Levitt, I. M. and Marshall, Roy K.: Star Maps for Beginners
Peterson Field Guides to the flora, fauna, rocks, and minerals of their area
A picture-laden book of the history of art
A picture-laden book of the glories of Christendom (cathedrals, castles, etc.)

Kids should also have, IMO:
Access to recordings of great music, from classical to opera to Big Band to whatever
A globe
A magnifying glass
A musical instrument of their choice, if any interest or talent whatsoever is demonstrated
Art supplies
Their own little treasure chest, preferably a beautiful, wooden one, in which they can keep things
If possible, a telescope and a microscope
William Walsh's Our Lady Of Fatima.
                                      Trochu's St Bernadette Soubirous
Christ the Life of the Soul, by Bl. Columba Marmion.
(07-22-2021, 02:02 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Someone on Twitter asked that such a list be added to the site, so I'm working on that now. So far I have:

I would dispute these choices a little bit, mostly b/c I have a heterodox opinion on American history. I'm one of those weirdoes who thinks the Constitution has failed and America should be broken up into smaller countries. THE FEDERALIST PAPERS is undoubtedly important, and should be on such a list, but THE ANTI-FEDERALIST PAPERS deserves to be right alongside it. Many of the problems we're facing now were predicted by the anti-Federalists. DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA is also important, for sure. To counterbalance the triumphalist narrative I'd recommend Peter Oliver's ORIGN & PROGRESS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: A TORY VIEW (written by a Loyalist) and THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Sydney George Fisher. I mean, you have to wonder about any system that would create "the right to privacy" out of thin air...

Also, pretty funny to me that you recommended THE AMERICAN PAGEANT b/c I had to read that in my high school AP US history class and all I remember is being incredibly bored. But, that was quite a long time ago so maybe we can chalk that one up to youthful immaturity. (Fwiw, I have a BA in American history.)
(07-22-2021, 02:54 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]I would dispute these choices a little bit, mostly b/c I have a heterodox opinion on American history. I'm one of those weirdoes who thinks the Constitution has failed and America should be broken up into smaller countries. THE FEDERALIST PAPERS is undoubtedly important, and should be on such a list, but THE ANTI-FEDERALIST PAPERS deserves to be right alongside it. Many of the problems we're facing now were predicted by the anti-Federalists. DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA is also important, for sure. To counterbalance the triumphalist narrative I'd recommend Peter Oliver's ORIGN & PROGRESS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: A TORY VIEW (written by a Loyalist) and THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Sydney George Fisher. I mean, you have to wonder about any system that would create "the right to privacy" out of thin air...

Also, pretty funny to me that you recommended THE AMERICAN PAGEANT b/c I had to read that in my high school AP US history class and all I remember is being incredibly bored. But, that was quite a long time ago so maybe we can chalk that one up to youthful immaturity. (Fwiw, I have a BA in American history.)

I absolutely get it, and don't have those books on the list because I'm a fan of the American style of government (I think constitutional monarchy is a much saner system). But American Catholics should know the thinking underlying how things are set up in the U.S., and they should know what's constitutional, what the powers of different levels of government are, etc. I haven't read the books you mention, but am totally down with the idea of adding books that provide a view that isn't all "rah, rah, 'Merica" (mind you, I'm not at all advocating being impious; I love my country very much, can get teary when hearing the national anthem, respect the flag, etc. I just think that it isn't at all perfect).
(07-22-2021, 01:39 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: [ -> ]
Unironic question but what is the problem with the Theology of the Body?

(07-22-2021, 02:54 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 02:02 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Someone on Twitter asked that such a list be added to the site, so I'm working on that now. So far I have:

I would dispute these choices a little bit, mostly b/c I have a heterodox opinion on American history. I'm one of those weirdoes who thinks the Constitution has failed and America should be broken up into smaller countries. THE FEDERALIST PAPERS is undoubtedly important, and should be on such a list, but THE ANTI-FEDERALIST PAPERS deserves to be right alongside it. Many of the problems we're facing now were predicted by the anti-Federalists. DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA is also important, for sure. To counterbalance the triumphalist narrative I'd recommend Peter Oliver's ORIGN & PROGRESS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: A TORY VIEW (written by a Loyalist) and THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Sydney George Fisher. I mean, you have to wonder about any system that would create "the right to privacy" out of thin air...

I think a Catholic can bypass all of this and just pick up a copy of "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coloumbe. It gives you American history without all the awe and veneration of the rebellious FF.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5