FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Essential trad Cat library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(07-22-2021, 05:06 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]I think a Catholic can bypass all of this and just pick up a copy of "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coloumbe.  It gives you American history without all the awe and veneration of the rebellious FF.

I would also highly recommend his history of the Popes, 'Vicars of Christ'.
Interior Castle
Way of perfection
Story of a soul
The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena
Introduction to the devout life
Imitation of Christ
Spiritual excercises of St. Ignatius
I have a Douay-Rheims Bible, a Diurnale Romanum and a Fr Lasanse Missal. I'm looking to get alternatives of each of those soon - a Knox Bible, a book of the Little Office prayers, and the actual 1962 Missal.

The Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli and Imitation of Christ are my two top spiritual reads.

I also have a ton of little pamphlets and printed reads that are left out at the parish. All the knowledge of the spiritual life and the Church they provide is invaluable.
I also am 1/2 through "the Saints that battled satan"
(07-22-2021, 05:06 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 01:39 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 12:42 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Theology of the Body - St Pope John Paul II
Salt and Light - Mark P Shea
Building a Bridge - Fr James Martin SJw
Let us Dream - Pope Francis
Does God Exist - Hans Kung
Laudato Si - Pope Francis
Joe Biden and the Catholicsm in the US - Massimo Faggioli
Fratelli Tutti - Pope Francis
Unironic question but what is the problem with the Theology of the Body?

(07-22-2021, 02:54 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 02:02 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Someone on Twitter asked that such a list be added to the site, so I'm working on that now. So far I have:

Political (for Americans):
Hamilton, Alexander; Jefferson, Thomas; John Jay: The Federalist Papers
De Tocqueville, Alexis: Democracy in America
Kennedy, David M.: The American Pageant: A History of the Republic

I would dispute these choices a little bit, mostly b/c I have a heterodox opinion on American history. I'm one of those weirdoes who thinks the Constitution has failed and America should be broken up into smaller countries. THE FEDERALIST PAPERS is undoubtedly important, and should be on such a list, but THE ANTI-FEDERALIST PAPERS deserves to be right alongside it. Many of the problems we're facing now were predicted by the anti-Federalists. DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA is also important, for sure. To counterbalance the triumphalist narrative I'd recommend Peter Oliver's ORIGN & PROGRESS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: A TORY VIEW (written by a Loyalist) and THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Sydney George Fisher. I mean, you have to wonder about any system that would create "the right to privacy" out of thin air...

Also, pretty funny to me that you recommended THE AMERICAN PAGEANT b/c I had to read that in my high school AP US history class and all I remember is being incredibly bored. But, that was quite a long time ago so maybe we can chalk that one up to youthful immaturity. (Fwiw, I have a BA in American history.)

I think a Catholic can bypass all of this and just pick up a copy of "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coloumbe.  It gives you American history without all the awe and veneration of the rebellious FF.
Did you mean to answer my question and forget?
(07-22-2021, 09:10 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 01:39 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 12:42 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Theology of the Body - St Pope John Paul II
Unironic question but what is the problem with the Theology of the Body?

Did you mean to answer my question and forget?

Yes, I apologize. There is nothing wrong with Theology of the Body from what I have heard, but it is a book some Trads sneer and look down on. "Theology of the Bawdy" has been a disparaging name attributed to it.
(07-22-2021, 05:18 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 05:06 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]I think a Catholic can bypass all of this and just pick up a copy of "Puritan's Empire" by Charles Coloumbe.  It gives you American history without all the awe and veneration of the rebellious FF.

I would also highly recommend his history of the Popes, 'Vicars of Christ'.

I own that as well...wonderful book...except I bought the hardcover not realizing the more recent editions are only in paperback and so mine ends during the pontificate of St Pope John Paul II.
(07-22-2021, 09:15 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I apologize.  There is nothing wrong with Theology of the Body from what I have heard, but it is a book some Trads sneer and look down on.  "Theology of the Bawdy" has been a disparaging name attributed to it.
No need to apologize. I wonder why some trads would dislike it, I am thinking about reading it soon, I see no reason why it is disliked when as far as I am aware it is the perfect solution to the Sexual Revolution, but perhaps someone on the forum will be able to answer that.

The Vatican itself couldn't have assembled a more essential list.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5