FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Essential trad Cat library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(07-22-2021, 09:22 PM)Memories_in_Rain Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2021, 09:15 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I apologize.  There is nothing wrong with Theology of the Body from what I have heard, but it is a book some Trads sneer and look down on.  "Theology of the Bawdy" has been a disparaging name attributed to it.
No need to apologize. I wonder why some trads would dislike it, I am thinking about reading it soon, I see no reason why it is disliked when as far as I am aware it is the perfect solution to the Sexual Revolution, but perhaps someone on the forum will be able to answer that.

I bought Theology of the Body late in the spring. I haven't had much time to read it and when I have, it's been slow. So far, for me, the book is a dry philosophy read and I'm barely out of the long, long introduction.
(07-22-2021, 02:02 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Someone on Twitter asked that such a list be added to the site, so I'm working on that now. So far I have:

Religious/spiritual:
Douay-Rheims version of the Bible
Augustine: City of God
Augustine: Confessions
Aquinas: Summa Theologica (or, more realistically, a compendium for the layman)
Baltimore Catechisms 1-4
Butler, Fr. Alban: Lives of the Saints
Teresa of Avila: The Interior Castle
Thomas a Kempis: The Imitation of Christ
Ignatius of Loyola: Spiritual Exercises
Belloc, Hillaire: The Servile State
Chesterton, G. K.: Orthodoxy
Chesterton, G. K.: Everlasting Man
Denzinger, Henry: The Sources of Catholic Dogma
Lewis, C. S.: The Screwtape Letters
Lewis, C. S.:  Mere Christianity
Lewis, C. S.:  The Abolition of Man
Ott, Ludwig: Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
Salvany, Felix Sarda y: Liberalism is a Sin

Literature:
Alighieri, Dante: The Divine Comedy
Fyodor: Crime and Punishment
Dostoevesky, Fyodor: The Brothers Karamazov
Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Devils
Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Idiot
Golding, William: Lord of the Flies
Huxley, Aldous: Brave New World
Orwell, George: 1984
Orwell, George: Animal Farm
Shakespeare: Collected Works
Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr: The Gulag Archipelago
Vonnegut, Kurt: Harrison Bergeron (short story)
Short story collections by Edgar Allan Poe, Guy de Maupassant, Shirley Jackson, Flannery O'Connor

Political (for Americans):
Hamilton, Alexander; Jefferson, Thomas; John Jay: The Federalist Papers
De Tocqueville, Alexis: Democracy in America
Kennedy, David M.: The American Pageant: A History of the Republic

For kids:
The Victory Drill Book:  a clear and comprehensive phonics-based reading system for kids learning to read
Aesop: collected fables
Anderson, Hans Christian: collected fairy tales
The Brothers Grimm: collected fairy tales
Mother Goose: collected fairy tales and nursery rhymes
Alcott, Louisa May Alcott: Little Women
Carroll, Lewis:  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Carroll, Lewis:  Through the Looking-Glass (the sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
Kipling, Rudyard: Just So Stories for Little Children
Malory, Thomas: The Boy's King Arthur, edited by Sidney Lanier, ilustrations by N.C. Wyeth
Pyle, Howard: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The "Little House" books: an eight-book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Nancy Drew book series: Best to stick to those published before 1959, and definitely to those published before 1980.
The Hardy Boys book series: Best to stick to those published before 1959, and definitely to those published before 1980.
Adams Synchronological Chart or Map of History 
Levitt, I. M. and Marshall, Roy K.: Star Maps for Beginners
Peterson Field Guides to the flora, fauna, rocks, and minerals of their area
A picture-laden book of the history of art
A picture-laden book of the glories of Christendom (cathedrals, castles, etc.)

Kids should also have, IMO:
Access to recordings of great music, from classical to opera to Big Band to whatever
A globe
A magnifying glass
A musical instrument of their choice, if any interest or talent whatsoever is demonstrated
Art supplies
Their own little treasure chest, preferably a beautiful, wooden one, in which they can keep things
If possible, a telescope and a microscope

You understand of course that at one time The Federalist Papers were on the index of forbidden books and a special dispensation was required to read them.
(07-23-2021, 12:15 AM)benedicite Wrote: [ -> ]You understand of course that at one time The Federalist Papers were on the index of forbidden books and a special dispensation was required to read them.

Well, I understand it now that you've revealed that fact to me (which I hadn't known). But the essays reveal how the American government was formed, and I think it's important for Americans to understand that.
How about the sayings of the Fathers of the Desert?
(07-23-2021, 12:15 AM)benedicite Wrote: [ -> ]You understand of course that at one time The Federalist Papers were on the index of forbidden books and a special dispensation was required to read them.

The error of Americanism is firmly embedded even in a lot of trad thinking.

At what point where these on the list?  I realize there were additions and deletions over the years before it was done away with, but I wasn't aware the Federalist Papers were on it.  Do you have a source?

An interesting historical footnote, but if I may ask, what relevance does it have to anything? Because the book was banned at one time, but isn't any longer, therefore we must be suspicious of it? Do you know why the reasoning was for placing it on the list of forbidden books?
(07-23-2021, 01:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]

An interesting historical footnote, but if I may ask, what relevance does it have to anything? Because the book was banned at one time, but isn't any longer, therefore we must be suspicious of it? Do you know why the reasoning was for placing it on the list of forbidden books?

I assume this is the list you were talking about, @benedicite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_au...ohibitorum

Interesting to see Pascal's PENSEES is on it. I've seen that on lists of essential trad Cat books.
(07-23-2021, 01:57 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-23-2021, 01:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]

I assume this is the list you were talking about, @benedicite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_au...ohibitorum

Interesting to see Pascal's PENSEES is on it. I've seen that on lists of essential trad Cat books.

I came across this link.  It gives  summary and then has a searchable database of those books on the list by title, author, etc.  There are over 4000 on the list.  BTW I couldn't find the Federalist Papers anywhere in that database.   http://www.beaconforfreedom.org/liste.html?tid=415&art_id=556
(07-25-2021, 07:23 PM)DNJC.org Wrote: [ -> ]BTW I couldn't find the Federalist Papers anywhere in that database.   http://www.beaconforfreedom.org/liste.html?tid=415&art_id=556

Some works and publications were placed on it and later removed. For instance, the writings of Charles Maurras and the newspaper, Action française, were placed on the Index by Pius XI and removed just over a decade later by Pius XII.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5