FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Texans...where should we move?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We would like to relocate in the near future from the Pacific Northwest to a place where we can find lots of Spanish/English bilingual folks and plenty of Catholic culture. Reasonable cost of living and a not-hyper-progressive political climate. Good Mexican food is a bonus.

Where are some good spots in TX for a working class Mexican + American soon-to-be empty nester couple seeking the above? I'm a teacher and maybe want to check out some places this summer.

The weather is gonna be rough; not so fond of the sauna-like heat and humidity. But pretty much any place that has a cultural climate we like doesn't have a physical climate we are fond of (and vice versa). We love the PNW weather and topography but cannot handle the out of control lefty politics and culture.
St John Baptiste de LaSalle Catholic Church 
North Wilkesboro, NC

It's not TX tough fits a portion of the criteria you mentioned.
Kind folks there , just felt lead to share and lift them up in this moment .
I think traditional communities are usually good. Maybe check out reviews for parishes in Texas and see which location seems most appealing to you? Then join an online group and visit the location in order to meet and talk to people before making a final decision.

(Of course Texans will know their state better than I do, this is just where I would start if I were moving.)
In north texas, check out Stephenville and Pilot Point. In south texas, try Montgomery, Magnolia, or Cut n Shoot. Please PM me if you have questions. We lived in texas for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go to a rural area. Urban areas (I live in the Austin area) aren’t hyper-progressive, but they still leave much to be desired.
It's not in Texas, but I'll through this out there. Check out north Idaho. Especially the Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area. It's definitely a traditional area with FSSP, SSPX and CMRI churches. Plus, you won't ever have to worry about hurricanes.
(06-03-2022, 11:13 AM)Bataar Wrote: [ -> ]It's not in Texas, but I'll through this out there. Check out north Idaho. Especially the Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area. It's definitely a traditional area with FSSP, SSPX and CMRI churches. Plus, you won't ever have to worry about hurricanes.
That's an area at the top of our list of "places to move"--if we ever had (the money and enough energy) to move.
(06-03-2022, 11:50 AM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2022, 11:13 AM)Bataar Wrote: [ -> ]It's not in Texas, but I'll through this out there. Check out north Idaho. Especially the Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area. It's definitely a traditional area with FSSP, SSPX and CMRI churches. Plus, you won't ever have to worry about hurricanes.
That's an area at the top of our list of "places to move"--if we ever had (the money and enough energy) to move.
I was just talking about moving to Northern Idaho! There is an FSSP Church there that I would attend. In addition to Idaho, I like the Flordia panhandle, the Texas panhandle, Montana, the Dakotas, and states like Louisiana, Missisipi, and Alabama. I would also add West Virginia is a nice traditioanl state.

As for Texas, politically, I really like the panhandle. I am not super familiar with Texas so I couldn't give reccomendations. I think the suburbs around Dallas are nice too, but like I said, I don't know much about the state.
I agree, northern Idaho is a great place. I have some family up there and they love it. As far as Texas goes, I don't know much but I did do some post-graduate work at UD in Irving and wasn't super impressed with the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex. I visited some family in the suburbs and they seemed nicer and more down-to-earth out there. Personally, as a refugee from the PNW, I'd say anywhere but there is going to be an improvement in some way.
(06-09-2022, 01:09 PM)LaetiCorde88 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, northern Idaho is a great place. I have some family up there and they love it. As far as Texas goes, I don't know much but I did do some post-graduate work at UD in Irving and wasn't super impressed with the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex. I visited some family in the suburbs and they seemed nicer and more down-to-earth out there. Personally, as a refugee from the PNW, I'd say anywhere but there is going to be an improvement in some way.
Idaho, especially Northern Idaho is great. The PNW is super liberal, although East Oregon and East Washington are pretty good. The only thing is there is still a liberal state government to deal with. As crazy as this sounds, I know a guy who is moving to Seattle June 27 because his wife found an assistant principle job there. He is actually really excited. We all can’t understand this.
Pages: 1 2